Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External render question

Hi there,

I'm plnning to render an external wall. It's concrete block
construction in the main, with 2 courses of brick just under DPC, then
more concrete blocks.

When I render the wall, is it best to stop just before the DPC with a
drip bead, then continue render below the DPC - thereby avoiding
breaching the DPC?

Also I'm planning to complete this work over a number of 2 hour slots
in the evening - how best to split this up - I was thinking dividing
the wall into "strips" and doing one a night, keeping it wet as it's
quite warm outside at the moment.

Also, what's a good mix for this type of coating and to what depth
should I go. Also also just one render or do I build it up in tow
layers?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 May 2007 10:36:16 -0700, Simon wrote:

On 3 May, 18:51, Simon wrote:
[...]

===============================
Render is usually applied in two coats. The first is a thin coat and is
scratched or scored with a trowel or a nail comb whilst it's still soft to
produce a key for the second coat. This first coat is called a 'scratch
coat' for obvious reasons.

The second coat is applied when the first coat has hardened - a day at
least later. Most people apply this second coat in strips or bays as you
suggest but others prefer to do it in broken areas to avoid seeing a
draughtboard effect in the finished job. This finish coat(about 3/4" +
thick) can be trowelled smooth or wiped with a wet sponge in a circular
pattern.

It's not normal practice to render below the damp-proof course. Finish
with a drip strip about an inch above the DPC and leave the course below
clean.

People argue about the best mix(es) but something about 4:1 soft sand /
cement is about average. It's worth asking where you buy your sand for
'rendering sand' as they will almost certainly be familiar with what
tradesmen are using locally for the job.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

People argue about the best mix(es) but something about 4:1 soft sand /
cement is about average. It's worth asking where you buy your sand for
'rendering sand' as they will almost certainly be familiar with what
tradesmen are using locally for the job.

I think sharp sand looks nicer..
Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:09:53 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cicero wrote:

People argue about the best mix(es) but something about 4:1 soft sand /
cement is about average. It's worth asking where you buy your sand for
'rendering sand' as they will almost certainly be familiar with what
tradesmen are using locally for the job.

---------------------------

I think sharp sand looks nicer..

----------------------------------
Which confirms my point quite nicely.

The best mix is the one that you want unless you allow yourself to be
persuaded by other people. I suppose the subject was being debated quite
warmly when the first wattle and daubers started to offer their services.

Cic.

--
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Painting cracked external render Martin UK diy 6 April 30th 07 10:40 PM
Render. Picker UK diy 1 July 24th 05 04:21 PM
Plaster or render? Christian McArdle UK diy 1 October 22nd 04 03:44 PM
External render question Mark S. UK diy 10 August 22nd 04 09:34 PM
External Rendering Steel "Beads" Rusting through render Chris Vowles UK diy 3 July 31st 03 02:43 PM