DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Henderson garage door spring (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/199204-henderson-garage-door-spring.html)

Chris April 28th 07 08:30 PM

Henderson garage door spring

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on retensioning my Henderson garage door
(metal up and over door with a spring running across the door frame
above the door and wires on cones running down to the sides of the door).

Just to make sure I've got it right, I have the door down and the cones
and shaft locked off with a pin. I slacken the grub screws that attach
the spring to the shaft, then use tommy bars to tension the spring
before retightening the grub screws.

The big question is, which way do I turn the spring? Do I tighten the
spring so that as the door opens it unwinds, or do I unwind the spring
so that as the door opens it tightens?

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

Roger Mills April 28th 07 09:03 PM

Chris wrote:

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on retensioning my Henderson garage door
(metal up and over door with a spring running across the door frame
above the door and wires on cones running down to the sides of the
door).
Just to make sure I've got it right, I have the door down and the
cones and shaft locked off with a pin. I slacken the grub screws that
attach the spring to the shaft, then use tommy bars to tension the
spring before retightening the grub screws.

The big question is, which way do I turn the spring? Do I tighten the
spring so that as the door opens it unwinds, or do I unwind the
spring so that as the door opens it tightens?

Thanks

Chris

The spring winds up as the door *closes* so that it assists you to open it
against gravity. [The other way round, the door would come crashing down -
driven by the spring - and would be *very* hard to open because you would be
lifting it and winding up the spring at the same time.

If you can get at it, it's usually easiest to adjust the spring tension with
the door propped fully open.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Alex April 29th 07 09:21 AM

Henderson garage door spring

If the existing spring tension is too much i.e. the door fly's up then you
would release tension by allowing the spring to unwind by one turn this
should be down,the reverse for not enough tension i.e. the door drops by say
150mm.

I would advise caution and the wearing of protective eyewear also ensure
that you have the correct size bars to prevent slippage and maintain a good
grip on these bars at all times.

Chris April 29th 07 11:24 AM

Roger Mills wrote:

The spring winds up as the door *closes* so that it assists you to open it
against gravity. [The other way round, the door would come crashing down -
driven by the spring - and would be *very* hard to open because you would be
lifting it and winding up the spring at the same time.

If you can get at it, it's usually easiest to adjust the spring tension with
the door propped fully open

Thanks for the response Roger. I understand that the spring needs to be
at minimum tension when the door is open and maximum tension when the
door is down, however with the spring at zero tension (the current
state), you can wind it in either direction and it will spring back to
the current state. The winding cones should indicate which direction the
spring needs to be wound in, but the new cones appear to be colour coded
the opposite way around to the old ones. Once I've established which way
the spring winds, I'll then fit the cones to suit.

If I wind the spring one way, the coils tighten and the spring gets
shorter, if I wind the spring the other way the coils open out. From a
quick google it seems that the coils opening out is the correct
direction, I'm just looking for confirmation that I have understood this
correctly.

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

Chris April 29th 07 11:35 AM

Alex wrote:
If the existing spring tension is too much i.e. the door fly's up
then you would release tension by allowing the spring to unwind by
one turn this should be down,the reverse for not enough tension i.e.
the door drops by say 150mm.

The trouble is I'm not 100% sure that the mechanism was installed
the right way round, hence up / down may be reversed. The colour coding
on the spare parts from Henderson appears to be the opposite of that on
the parts I removed. I'm assuming that when the instructions refer to
left and right they mean when standing inside the garage looking towards
the door.

I would advise caution and the wearing of protective eyewear also
ensure that you have the correct size bars to prevent slippage and
maintain a good grip on these bars at all times.

Absolutely. I've got the proper bars from Henderson, and have a healthy
respect for the spring.

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

mike April 29th 07 12:34 PM

Henderson garage door spring

Chris wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice on retensioning my Henderson garage door
(metal up and over door with a spring running across the door frame
above the door and wires on cones running down to the sides of the
door).

Just to make sure I've got it right, I have the door down and the
cones and shaft locked off with a pin. I slacken the grub screws that
attach the spring to the shaft, then use tommy bars to tension the
spring before retightening the grub screws.

The big question is, which way do I turn the spring? Do I tighten the
spring so that as the door opens it unwinds, or do I unwind the
spring so that as the door opens it tightens?

Mine has a blue cone on the right (looking from inside) and a whire one
on the left.

The wires roll up on to the side of the cone nearest the door - I don't
think it could be otherwise, the wire would foul something.

The top of the spring rolls towards me when I open the door.

I don't know if it's correctly installed - it was put in by Norm next
door when he bought a caravan, and sized up his car, his garage, and his
garage door - but it works.

HTH

mike

Chris April 29th 07 05:22 PM

Henderson garage door spring

Thanks for the info Mike

mike wrote:

Mine has a blue cone on the right (looking from inside) and a white one
on the left.

That's the same as the new cones I bought, but the opposite to the old
ones I removed.

The wires roll up on to the side of the cone nearest the door - I don't
think it could be otherwise, the wire would foul something.

That matches too, so far so good..

The top of the spring rolls towards me when I open the door.

Just to double check, is that when you are standing inside the garage,
or outside?

I don't know if it's correctly installed - it was put in by Norm next
door when he bought a caravan, and sized up his car, his garage, and his
garage door - but it works.

One last question - one end of the spring is attached to the shaft by a
'plug' with two allen head grub screws and a series of holes to fit
tommy bars to adjust the tension. When you stand inside the garage
looking towards the door, is this plug on the left hand end of the
spring or the right hand end?

HTH

mike

Cheers

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

mike April 29th 07 09:13 PM

Henderson garage door spring

The top of the spring rolls towards me when I open the door.

Just to double check, is that when you are standing inside the garage,
or outside?

One last question - one end of the spring is attached to the shaft by a
'plug' with two allen head grub screws and a series of holes to fit
tommy bars to adjust the tension. When you stand inside the garage
looking towards the door, is this plug on the left hand end of the
spring or the right hand end?

The "plug" is on the left end of the spring.

All observations are from inside, facing the door.

I don't think you can see much from the outside, perhaps yours is inside
out, instead of upside down :)

mike

Chris April 29th 07 10:19 PM

mike wrote:
The top of the spring rolls towards me when I open the door.

Just to double check, is that when you are standing inside the garage,
or outside?

One last question - one end of the spring is attached to the shaft by a
'plug' with two allen head grub screws and a series of holes to fit
tommy bars to adjust the tension. When you stand inside the garage
looking towards the door, is this plug on the left hand end of the
spring or the right hand end?

The "plug" is on the left end of the spring.

Ah, the opposite side to mine then :-(

All observations are from inside, facing the door.

I don't think you can see much from the outside, perhaps yours is inside
out, instead of upside down :)

No, I've just got really good eyesight ;-)

Thanks

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply