Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pre-fab house extension kits?

Hi,

My elderly relatives need a single-story extension (say 12-30 m2 tbd) to
their small 2-storey semi. This would be for a new bathroom and extended
lounge. Roughly speaking, all that is needed is a rectangular habitable box
'bolted' on to the back of the house, with access via existing patio doors
(to be removed).

Maybe I've seen too many 'Grand Designs', but I was wondering if there are
viable pre-fabricated kit alternatives to the usual messy and time-consuming
traditional bricks, mortar , plaster concrete etc extensions. Something made
up off-site for very quick assembly is what we'd want. Doesn't much matter
what materials it is so lomg as it works, is cheapish and meets regs.Where
can I get more information to pursue (or kill off!) this idea?

I know there will be sundry planning / building control issues to look at as
well.

Cheers,
Doog

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dougal" wrote in message
[...]

Well Portacabin style buildings in all sorts of configuarations are
available and relatively cheap s/h

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Something like a Portakabin but a bit more suitable to use as a house
extension and will look OK in that setting (ie will not make back garden
look like a building site).. Must meet building control & regs (fire,
inulation etc) - hopefully modern timber frame might be OK in this regard?

Been looking on 'net, so far found a few kits for full houses, timber
offices, garages etc but these seem intended, at least, for use as detached
structures.

Maybe I need an architect!.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dougal" wrote:

My elderly relatives need a single-story extension (say 12-30 m2 tbd) to
their small 2-storey semi. Roughly speaking, all that is needed is a rectangular habitable box
'bolted' on to the back of the house, with access via existing patio doors
(to be removed).

Maybe I've seen too many 'Grand Designs', but I was wondering if there are
viable pre-fabricated kit alternatives

Wickes used to sell these in the '80s. I think I've still got the
dubioulsy named "Good Ideas" leaflet for it somewhere. Looked bloody
awful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:33:13 GMT, Mick6 wrote:

In article ,
"Dougal" wrote:

My elderly relatives need a single-story extension (say 12-30 m2 tbd) to
their small 2-storey semi. Roughly speaking, all that is needed is a rectangular habitable box
'bolted' on to the back of the house, with access via existing patio doors
(to be removed).

Maybe I've seen too many 'Grand Designs', but I was wondering if there are
viable pre-fabricated kit alternatives

Try googling "garden office"

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So far I'm not sure if I've found what I'm looking for (ie ready assemble
home extension kit with no bricklaying plastering and the like), at least
within budget. But, will keep looking... - thanks for the pointers

Now as a concept I like garden offices but I'm not sure most are suitable to
be abutted to a house?. Ecospace though have a very nice one to Building
Stds, but the £20k price tag an issue.

Portacabins and shipping container-type-boxes may have their uses but not, I
would think, abutted to a house as an extension (building regs?). BTW do
portacabins come ready-assembled (a problem with restriced access) or as
packs or sections?.

Timber frame / SIP construction might be a good option in the end, though
cladding in brick or render gets away from the original idea
of just assembly. Will try to find out more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr, 17:27, "Dougal" wrote:
So far I'm not sure if I've found what I'm looking for (ie ready assemble
home extension kit with no bricklaying plastering and the like), at least
within budget. But, will keep looking... - thanks for the pointers

Now as a concept I like garden offices but I'm not sure most are suitable to
be abutted to a house?. Ecospace though have a very nice one to Building
Stds, but the £20k price tag an issue.

Portacabins and shipping container-type-boxes may have their uses but not, I
would think, abutted to a house as an extension (building regs?). BTW do
portacabins come ready-assembled (a problem with restriced access) or as
packs or sections?.

Timber frame / SIP construction might be a good option in the end, though
cladding in brick or render gets away from the original idea
of just assembly. Will try to find out more.

Why not make your own kit, just construct wood frames from oak for
each wall, and once the kit's made you can put the building up very
quickly.

Dont be tempted to use whitewood for bathroom construction.

NT

Hardie Cement Pre-Painted House Siding: How Are Nail Heads Handled ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 August 7th 06 12:48 AM
Pre-fab dormer? Tony Home Ownership 1 August 3rd 06 01:10 PM
pre-fab cottage/cabin kits KLS Home Ownership 2 July 17th 05 04:21 PM
Prefab House Kits???SECOND POST !! Daniel Home Ownership 1 December 13th 04 07:44 AM
Illegal house extension demolished Mr Justice S Tinks UK diy 88 September 16th 03 08:40 PM