Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smell of urine in carpet

A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Change the carpet, and the underlay and disinfect the floor quite a bit
while waiting for the carpet fitter. Not a joke, I recently moved into a
house where one bedroom looked fine but the carpet had been cleaned and had
previously been peed on by a cat. A new carpet was not what I wanted to buy
but any wet cleaning just seemed to activate the smell and it never died
down enough. In the end I ripped the wole lot out but there were stains and
smell in the grippers etc. Only when I had disinfected these about three
times and had a new carpet laid was it OK

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:12:17 UTC, "Fred" wrote:

A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

You may never eradicate it...but try this.

Pet Accident Sanitary Cleaner (from Betterware). Or the equivalent (from
most pet shops). Spray on foam, wipe off with damp cloth. Seems to work
well with lots of things; might require two or three treatments, but
cheap and worth a try.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr, 14:12, "Fred" wrote:
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Try 'Simple Solution' - an enzyme-based stain/odour remover available
from most pet shops...

http://www.simplesolution.com/produc...stain&odor.htm

We use it on our cats (or rather on what they do!) and it's never
ceased to amaze me how effective it is. Presumably it's the enzyme
formulation that's the key.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr 2007 13:27:37 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

|!On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:12:17 UTC, "Fred" wrote:
|!
|! A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
|! rather unfortunate smell.
|!
|! We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
|! the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.
|!
|! The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!
|!
|! Can anyone please offer some ideas?
|!
|!You may never eradicate it...but try this.
|!
|!Pet Accident Sanitary Cleaner (from Betterware). Or the equivalent (from
|!most pet shops). Spray on foam, wipe off with damp cloth. Seems to work
|!well with lots of things; might require two or three treatments, but
|!cheap and worth a try.

*biological* washing powder works against cat urine.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sam sam is offline

QVC the TV shopping channel sell some stuff called Urine off at www.qvcuk.com

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 13:27:37 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

|!On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:12:17 UTC, "Fred" wrote:
|!
|! A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
|! rather unfortunate smell.
|!
|! We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
|! the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.
|!
|! The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!
|!
|! Can anyone please offer some ideas?
|!
|!You may never eradicate it...but try this.
|!
|!Pet Accident Sanitary Cleaner (from Betterware). Or the equivalent (from
|!most pet shops). Spray on foam, wipe off with damp cloth. Seems to work
|!well with lots of things; might require two or three treatments, but
|!cheap and worth a try.

*biological* washing powder works against cat urine.

Is that so? Have you tried it? I have a cotton rug in mind that you
might have saved from the tip :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:29:02 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! On 17 Apr 2007 13:27:37 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
|!
|! |!On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:12:17 UTC, "Fred" wrote:
|! |!
|! |! A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
|! |! rather unfortunate smell.
|! |!
|! |! We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
|! |! the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.
|! |!
|! |! The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!
|! |!
|! |! Can anyone please offer some ideas?
|! |!
|! |!You may never eradicate it...but try this.
|! |!
|! |!Pet Accident Sanitary Cleaner (from Betterware). Or the equivalent (from
|! |!most pet shops). Spray on foam, wipe off with damp cloth. Seems to work
|! |!well with lots of things; might require two or three treatments, but
|! |!cheap and worth a try.
|!
|! *biological* washing powder works against cat urine.
|!
|!Is that so? Have you tried it? I have a cotton rug in mind that you
|!might have saved from the tip :-)

Yes! IME it works, supposed to be the enzymes.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks. However in this case that's not really an option. Cost is a
major consideration.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Time will sort it out but in the meantime the wife swears by something
called Oxy Action Vanish. Personally I think itwhoiffs worse than cat P

Also try sponging with alcohol - surgical spirit is better than meths
otherwise the carpet comes up purple ;-)

If it doesn't remove the smell, you can at least get high on it and stop
worrying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place
has a rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will
neutralise the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the
smell returns.
The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Look up 'Janitorial Suppliers' in Yellow Pages & find your nearest one. Ask
for Prochem Urine Neutraliser. It comes in a 1 litre spray bottle for
about£6.

The mutts nuts.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr, 14:12, "Fred" wrote:
A child has urinated on our carpet a number of times and the place has a
rather unfortunate smell.

We've tried to Vax the carpet but is there anything which will neutralise
the smell? Any cleaning fluid only goes so deep and the smell returns.

The offending child has gone but the smell hasn't!

Can anyone please offer some ideas?

Prochem Odour Neutraliser will do the trick. It doesn't actually
remove the urine, but chemically combines with it to produce a
chemical that has a neutral smell.

However, what you need to do before that is remove as much of the
urine that's in the carpet as possible. To do this you really need a
professional grade ht water extraction machine. A vax simply won't
squirt/suck enough to get much of the urine out.

After the carpet is clean, use the Urine Neutraliser as directed on
the bottle. Sometimes you can pick this up on ebay.

(hatever you do DON'T use any supermarket carpet cleaners as they will
only make your carpet worse in the long term by attracting dirt!)

If the smell remains, call a professional cleaner or your insurance
company.

www.calmore.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr 2007 08:49:05 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, sam
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

QVC the TV shopping channel sell some stuff called Urine off at www.qvcuk.com

They were originally going to call it '**** Off'...
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugo Nebula
writes

QVC the TV shopping channel sell some stuff called Urine off at www.qvcuk.com