Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricty to flat: Powercard meter, coin meter, or what?

Hi I am currently planning some wiring modifications for the two flats
in a building I own. One flat on the ground floor and one is on the
first floor.

I plan to have the ground floor flat supplied directly from the
original elec board's power supply meter for the building. I plan to
have a submain coming from that to the first floor flat, going via a
payment meter of some kind (coin or card perhaps). My plan is that the
occupier of the ground floor flat will be responsible for paying the
elecricity bills for the whole building, while the occupant of the
first floor flat will either:

A) Pay for his electricity via a coin meter to which the ground floor
occupant has the key and has the right to collect the coins at regular
intervals.

or:
B) Pays for his electric via a card meter, buying cards from the
electric supply company, so that when he buys the cards, the amount
paid will be credited to the ground floor flat resident's account. Is
that feasable, and if so, would it be simpler/better than using a coin
meter? How much do the supply companies typically charge to install
such a meter?

Are there any other possible options? I do not want to go to the
expense of having a second mains supply installed for the first floor
flat by the supply co just yet. However, I may well decide to, in a
year or two, if (a) or (b) above proves problematic/inconvenient for
any reason.

Thank you,

Frank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi I am currently planning some wiring modifications for the two flats
in a building I own. One flat on the ground floor and one is on the
first floor.

Don't try and dump the problem onto the tenant of the ground floor
flat - pay to do it properly and be done with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 7:10 pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

well as Colin points out neither A or B is really suitable as it
places a lot of responsability on the ground floor.You could install
your own meter in the ground floor flat,you pay the bill for this,you
then install 1 extra meter for downstairs and 1 for upstairs,you
collect money/sell tokens and then pay the bill.I'm sure there ae also
rules about how much you could charge for electricity when you are
reselling it,

Personally I would think the only long term solution is two supplies
one for each flat each with thier own 'proper' meter

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:10:38 +0100, Frank wrote:

[...]

I'd never rent a property that used cards or coins to supply my juice
..Do you realise how much more they cost .?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:10:38 +0100, Frank mused:

Hi I am currently planning some wiring modifications for the two flats
in a building I own. One flat on the ground floor and one is on the
first floor.

I plan to have the ground floor flat supplied directly from the
original elec board's power supply meter for the building. I plan to
have a submain coming from that to the first floor flat, going via a
payment meter of some kind (coin or card perhaps). My plan is that the
occupier of the ground floor flat will be responsible for paying the
elecricity bills for the whole building, while the occupant of the
first floor flat will either:

A) Pay for his electricity via a coin meter to which the ground floor
occupant has the key and has the right to collect the coins at regular
intervals.

Not a good idea at all.

or:
B) Pays for his electric via a card meter, buying cards from the
electric supply company, so that when he buys the cards, the amount
paid will be credited to the ground floor flat resident's account. Is
that feasable, and if so, would it be simpler/better than using a coin
meter? How much do the supply companies typically charge to install
such a meter?

Never heard of one, and also see above.

Are there any other possible options? I do not want to go to the
expense of having a second mains supply installed for the first floor
flat by the supply co just yet. However, I may well decide to, in a
year or two, if (a) or (b) above proves problematic/inconvenient for
any reason.

If you must have coin\credit meters then sub both supplies from the
mains and you pay the bill and collect money from the meter or sell
credit to the tenants.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:07:41 +0100, Stuart B
mused:

[...]

Do you? They can be set for various rates, you have obviously only
experienced greedy tenants.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank wrote:
Hi I am currently planning some wiring modifications for the two flats
in a building I own. One flat on the ground floor and one is on the
first floor.

I plan to have the ground floor flat supplied directly from the
original elec board's power supply meter for the building. I plan to
have a submain coming from that to the first floor flat, going via a

The rest of this post is invalid because submeters aren't allowed any more.

You'll have to pay to have a new main run upstairs, or forget the whole
thing - there isn't another way.

(and before anyone jumps on this post, existing submeters are an exception,
but the leccy board are already aware of those and they are being phased
out)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2007 12:49:16 -0700, "Martin Warby"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments. I agree that a second mains supply is the
best long-term solution. I plan to pay out for that when finances
permit - perhaps next year.

In the meantime, I need to decide on the next-best alternative setup.
I will probably be living in the first floor flat myself, with a
tenant in the ground floor flat, in coming months.

I don't know the actual cost of getting a second mains supply
installed; does anyone here have any idea? I'm guessing it won't be
cheap (£500-ish+?). Modifying the existing wiring, on the other hand,
(e.g, installing coin or card meters) is easy to do.

Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I agree that a second mains supply is the
best long-term solution. I plan to pay out for that when finances
permit - perhaps next year.

In the meantime, I need to decide on the next-best alternative setup.
I will probably be living in the first floor flat myself, with a
tenant in the ground floor flat, in coming months.

I don't know the actual cost of getting a second mains supply
installed; does anyone here have any idea? I'm guessing it won't be
cheap (£500-ish+?). Modifying the existing wiring, on the other hand,
(e.g, installing coin or card meters) is easy to do.

Frank

£270 for the flat we've just completed, the EB won't allow submeters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:24:42 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

[...]

I was actually speaking of Power Supply companies card charges .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Frank wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I agree that a second mains supply is the
best long-term solution. I plan to pay out for that when finances
permit - perhaps next year.

In the meantime, I need to decide on the next-best alternative setup.
I will probably be living in the first floor flat myself, with a
tenant in the ground floor flat, in coming months.

I don't know the actual cost of getting a second mains supply
installed; does anyone here have any idea? I'm guessing it won't be
cheap (£500-ish+?). Modifying the existing wiring, on the other hand,
(e.g, installing coin or card meters) is easy to do.

Frank

£270 for the flat we've just completed, the EB won't allow submeters.

£320 for the flat I have just worked on. Not bad for running a but of
armoured upstairs.

If you think that is expensive wait untill the water co finds out and make
you have two new water supplies fitted with meters. £2000 at the same flat.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:38:55 +0100, Stuart B
mused:

I'd never rent a property that used cards or coins to supply my juice
.Do you realise how much more they cost .?

Do you? They can be set for various rates, you have obviously only
experienced greedy tenants.

I was actually speaking of Power Supply companies card charges .

So something else entirely different to what the OP was asking then.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The easiest temporary solution would be to rent the other flat with
elctricity charges included in the rent and just pay the whole bill
yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:55:35 +0100, Stuart B
mused:

wrote:

So something else entirely different to what the OP was asking then.

Well,No actually .
or:
B) Pays for his electric via a card meter, buying cards from the
electric supply company, so that when he buys the cards, the amount
paid will be credited to the ground floor flat resident's account. Is
that feasable, and if so, would it be simpler/better than using a coin
meter? How much do the supply companies typically charge to install
such a meter?

Well, as you can't actaually do that I disregarded it. Anyway,
something or other, I don't know.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So something else entirely different to what the OP was asking then.

Well,No actually .
or:
B) Pays for his electric via a card meter, buying cards from the
electric supply company, so that when he buys the cards, the amount
paid will be credited to the ground floor flat resident's account. Is
that feasable, and if so, would it be simpler/better than using a coin
meter? How much do the supply companies typically charge to install
such a meter?

Well, as you can't actaually do that I disregarded it. Anyway,
something or other, I don't know.

I'm not sure that they will charge for installing a Powercard Meter in
place of a credit meter as they make so much on the sale of Powercards
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure that they will charge for installing a Powercard Meter in
place of a credit meter as they make so much on the sale of Powercards

Not on the end of someone elses' cable they won't* - it has
implications as to who takes ownership and responsibility for the
submain.

* in some cases where there is a rising main in a large building they
will
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 02:04:32 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

I'm not sure that they will charge for installing a Powercard Meter in
place of a credit meter as they make so much on the sale of Powercards

Not on the end of someone elses' cable they won't* - it has
implications as to who takes ownership and responsibility for the
submain.

* in some cases where there is a rising main in a large building they
will

WTF are you talking about ???? I am speaking of consumers who get
their Elecy supplied via a Powercard Meter as opposed to getting it
supplied via a Credit Meter .The former will definitely pay much more
than the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:52:01 +0100, Stuart B
mused:

REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgroup@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM. co.uk wrote:

I'm not sure that they will charge for installing a Powercard Meter in
place of a credit meter as they make so much on the sale of Powercards

Not on the end of someone elses' cable they won't* - it has
implications as to who takes ownership and responsibility for the
submain.

* in some cases where there is a rising main in a large building they
will

WTF are you talking about ???? I am speaking of consumers who get
their Elecy supplied via a Powercard Meter as opposed to getting it
supplied via a Credit Meter .The former will definitely pay much more
than the latter.

And all because you just randomly inserted a comment that wasn't
particularly helpful. Would have been better if you just hadn't
bothered.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WTF are you talking about ???? I am speaking of consumers who get
their Elecy supplied via a Powercard Meter as opposed to getting it
supplied via a Credit Meter .The former will definitely pay much more
than the latter.

They won't fit a card meter *or* a credit meter on a submain they
didn't put in, so your suggestion was completely spurious (unless i'm
really missing something here - this is the same thread as Frank the
botching flat builder right ?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:06:26 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

[...]

When people like you are around you are dead right there ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:13:25 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

WTF are you talking about ???? I am speaking of consumers who get
their Elecy supplied via a Powercard Meter as opposed to getting it
supplied via a Credit Meter .The former will definitely pay much more
than the latter.

They won't fit a card meter *or* a credit meter on a submain they
didn't put in, so your suggestion was completely spurious (unless i'm
really missing something here - this is the same thread as Frank the
botching flat builder right ?)

I did not make any suggestion ,spurious or otherwise .

I was merely commenting on what is quoted below regarding the
difference in price of electricity between Powercard Meters and Credit
Meters.