How best to insulate an attic room

Old April 16th 07, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
sav

Default How best to insulate an attic room

Recently moved into our home and are doing up the original attic
room. I am unsure as the best way to insulate this area? The house is
a mid terrace and the room Measurements are approx 5.5m x 6m with
pitched roof that is 3m high at the apex sloping down to 1.35m at room
edge. Am i best to insulate under the attic floor in between the
joists and also try to insulate the sloping ceilings or just do one of
these. Im not sure what products would be available for insulating
the ceilings, but have heard that there is a plasterboard called
kingspan which contains insulation. Any suggestions as to what would
be the best optionts would be much appreciated

Old April 16th 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

sav wrote:
Recently moved into our home and are doing up the original attic
room. I am unsure as the best way to insulate this area? The house is
a mid terrace and the room Measurements are approx 5.5m x 6m with
pitched roof that is 3m high at the apex sloping down to 1.35m at room
edge. Am i best to insulate under the attic floor in between the
joists and also try to insulate the sloping ceilings or just do one of
these. Im not sure what products would be available for insulating
the ceilings, but have heard that there is a plasterboard called
kingspan which contains insulation. Any suggestions as to what would
be the best optionts would be much appreciated

Having just insulated a Victorian attic, I'll tell you what I wish I'd
done from the start. Rip down the ceiling. Rip down any walls where you
don't have comfortable access from the other side. Put 50mm Celotex
between rafters, and rockwool between joists on the walls (if you want
to keep the cost down). Plasterboard and skim.

I sort of did this but tried to retain as much of the original plaster
as possible by feeding the insulation in from all kinds of crazy angles.
I should have bitten the bullet, but the mess is just so awful that you
really must do the whole thing in a day so you can clear up just the
once. Doing it in dribs and drabs as I did, you spend an hour knocking
off the plaster and two hours clearing up. Then another two hours
clearing up yourself, your tools, your vehicle, your own house. Never
again, even for family!

If you can afford to lose space on the inside, it's obviously much
easier, but the impact on doors and window openings has to be
considered. Maybe you don't have lath and plaster to contend with.
Taking down PB would have been a doddle in comparison
Old April 16th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

sav wrote:

Recently moved into our home and are doing up the original attic
room. I am unsure as the best way to insulate this area? The house is
a mid terrace and the room Measurements are approx 5.5m x 6m with
pitched roof that is 3m high at the apex sloping down to 1.35m at room
edge. Am i best to insulate under the attic floor in between the
joists and also try to insulate the sloping ceilings or just do one of
these.

If you are trying to make the attic room warmer then insulating under
the floor will not help you much (it may cut down noise transfer with
the room below though)

Im not sure what products would be available for insulating
the ceilings, but have heard that there is a plasterboard called
kingspan which contains insulation. Any suggestions as to what would
be the best optionts would be much appreciated

Kingspan is a brand for many different types of rigid insulating board
products - typically made from PIR Foam which is a very effective
insulator. They also do a version pre-bonded to plasterboard (and ply
etc). Celotex is another big name that does much the same. You can find
alternative suppliers however that can be a good deal cheaper. Have a
look at their web sites for more info. Also see:

http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

and

http://www.ecotherm.co.uk/

To do the underside of a roof, you can partially fill the gap between
the rafters, and then do another layer under, followed by plasterboard.
If your tiles have sarking (i.e. tilers felt) behind them then you need
to make sure that you leave a space behind the insulation that can be
vented to the outside to keep the roof timbers in good order. Otherwise
condensation can form in the space that will rot the wood. Fitting
soffit vents can help as can either ridge vents or just cutting away a
strip of sarking near the apex of the roof.

Here is how I did mine:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/insulating.htm

--
Cheers,