Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly water feature

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:33:32 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

Many garden centres do a 'clear feature' additive for water features.
Bleach would do as a temporary measure, but it degrades in a matter of
hours in strong sunlight. Only add a very small amount, as it might harm
any rubber pipework, couplings etc. That presumes, of course, that it is
just a water feature and doesn't have any fish.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things
clean & fragrant?

Aspirin?

--
Tony Williams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:33:32 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

I'd try Milton. Rather less damaging and toxic than bleach (if it's OK
for babies....).
Get at the chemist.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out
the water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a
bit of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something
had got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

I'd try Milton. Rather less damaging and toxic than bleach (if it's OK
for babies....).
Get at the chemist.

Milton *is* bleach.

Milton contains Sodium Hypochlorite, same key ingredient as most household
bleach. If you get a thin unperfumed bleach with no extraneous additives
(eg Tesco's Value Bleach) I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff for less
money...

Here's a useful reference: http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:04 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Here's a useful reference: http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Hi Bob,

Milton *would* say that, wouldn't they...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it for a water feature in the slightest.

To put this in perspective, my late mother told me once that she couldn't
afford Milton for my baby-bottles and she came to a similar conclusion
concerning the fact that many products were based on the same key
ingredient as Milton. Not wanting to poison me, she rang up Domestos's
technical people and asked if such-and-such a Domestos (non-perfumed, non
thickened etc) product was safe to sterilise baby bottles. She was assured
that it was. I'm still alive 38 years or so later...

Perhaps Milton does use Sodium Hypo made to a higher standard, or maybe they
don't. But I *really* don't think anyone's going to get poisoned by using
regular bleach in suitable proportions in the context given here.

However, this is academic - if little is needed, the OP can use Milton if it
makes him happier

Just my 2p's worth.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

Bleach.
Milton?

Milton is bleach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Milton is not less toxic.. you have to rinse it out.
It will do the same damage as bleach does if you don't.

bleach /can/ have smelly stuff and detergent added and is usually stronger
than Milton but that's about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:52:40 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Milton is not less toxic.. you have to rinse it out.
It will do the same damage as bleach does if you don't.

bleach /can/ have smelly stuff and detergent added and is usually stronger
than Milton but that's about it.

All I'll say is...read the link....and leave it there.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:04 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Here's a useful reference:
http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Hi Bob,

Milton *would* say that, wouldn't they...

I'll quickly add, before anyone else does, that I found the link just to
confirm to myself that Milton was still primarily Sodium Hypo - and it does
have some useful data concerning concentrations. I suppose my brain's
marketing-********-filter automatically blanked all the claims that it was
somehow "special" and magically pure!

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"TMC" wrote in message

Bleach.
Milton?

Milton is bleach.

I thought he was a poet..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Wanderer
writes
Many garden centres do a 'clear feature' additive for water features.
Bleach would do as a temporary measure, but it degrades in a matter of
hours in strong sunlight. Only add a very small amount, as it might
harm any rubber pipework, couplings etc. That presumes, of course, that
it is just a water feature and doesn't have any fish.

If you wanted to go really technical you could add a UV steriliser in
line with the water flow, or even an ozone bubbler that effectively acts
as a continuous biodegradable bleaching effect. These are all things
that could be sourced on ebay for Koi pond use.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:45:32 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

|!
|!"TMC" wrote in message
|!
|! Bleach.
|!Milton?
|!
|!Milton is bleach.

NO! Milton is bleach *plus* salt in specific proportions
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:33:32 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something
had got into the tank & died!

It had gone stagnate. The suggestions of bleach will kill things but once
the bleach has dissipated the bugs'll come back. Running the feature to
keep the water oxygenated will be a better long term solution, along with
cleaning out any gunge from the bottom of the tank after leaf fall in the
autumn so any bits don't sit there and rot.

But isn't decking and water features so last century?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-10 11:50:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

dennis@home wrote:
"TMC" wrote in message

Bleach.
Milton?

Milton is bleach.

I thought he was a poet..

Sigh....

Days of the Empire.... Paradise Lost... Tennis on the lawn...
Tennyson the poet.... etc....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-10 09:48:09 +0100, Tony Williams said:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things
clean & fragrant?

Aspirin?

That would be the conversation that TMH would have with his GP when he
telephones late at night to say that his bog is blocked up. TMH tells
him to huck a couple of aspirins into it and to call in the morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-10 12:54:10 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:33:32 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something
had got into the tank & died!

It had gone stagnate. The suggestions of bleach will kill things but once
the bleach has dissipated the bugs'll come back. Running the feature to
keep the water oxygenated will be a better long term solution, along with
cleaning out any gunge from the bottom of the tank after leaf fall in the
autumn so any bits don't sit there and rot.

But isn't decking and water features so last century?

It's just that they haven't reached t'pennines yet..... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

But isn't decking and water features so last century?

Decking is alive & well & prospering I'm glad to say. Nice little earner.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-10 19:56:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

But isn't decking and water features so last century?

Decking is alive & well & prospering I'm glad to say. Nice little earner.

Ideal in fact. Material cost not that high. Construction not that
difficult and once you know the key pieces like a solid framework easy
to produce good results.

Price expectation not particularly related to materials cost.

Seasonal but it does compensate for the £5 tap washers.

Have you thought of selling the customers up?

Patios and decks need cleaning this time of year. Pressure washer
needs servicing. Trouble is that that costs more than buying new
one. However, as a trusted advisor you could sell them a nice PW that
they wouldnt otherwise buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

Yes, you can add the foam / brush filter that you removed and washed for
storage last Autumn. Don't leave them in there if you're not pumping
water through them regularly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:18:50 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

But isn't decking and water features so last century?

It's just that they haven't reached t'pennines yet..... ;-)

Wouldn't last up here. If it didn't get blown away it would rot. You have
seen the shed picture haven't you?

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

Christmas Eve 1999 the entire roof was blown off as a unit. It cleared the
wall that the shed is leaning against in the above photo and just clipped
the top of a similar height wall the other side of the road. The road is
wide enough for cars to pass at speed, despite the blind summit.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
Ideal in fact. Material cost not that high. Construction not that
difficult and once you know the key pieces like a solid framework easy
to produce good results.

Price expectation not particularly related to materials cost.

True enough. I can buy really good 28mm deck boards and treated sawn timber
from a local importer at really good prices

Seasonal but it does compensate for the £5 tap washers.

I don't do £5 tap washers :-) I will re washer taps, but my minimum charge
is £30 for the first half hour. Not that local plumbers will do it at all,
they can't be arsed so it seems.

Patios and decks need cleaning this time of year. Pressure washer
needs servicing. Trouble is that that costs more than buying new
one. However, as a trusted advisor you could sell them a nice PW
that they wouldnt otherwise buy.

I do the odd bit of patio cleaning and it's fairly profitable. The market
for selling HPC is highly price sensitive and highly competitive, so I'm not
really interested.

True enough, if I found a potential client wanting a good machine I could
earn a margin, but there is a perception problem peculiar to HPC's. A
jigsaw, for example can be bought for £20 and a really good one could cost
£100 - 5 times the price.

With HPC's you can buy one for £40 but a really good one would cost £500 -
over 12 times the price.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out
the water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a
bit of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something
had got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Nooooh!
bugral point in adding any chemicals, only kill anything living. Will also
deter,or kill, visitors ie. birds, hedgehogs, voles etc. Kids, now there's
an idea.
Why is the water feature smelly?
Perhaps because it is stagnant?
Ever see a burn or brae that was smelly. No, and you'll never.
Just introduce some flow of air to assist water circulation. Only needs to
be minimal.
GS
ps. sorry about the kids thing. Lov'em, but couldn't eat a whole one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Mitchell" wrote in message
If you wanted to go really technical you could add a UV steriliser in line
with the water flow, or even an ozone bubbler that effectively acts as a
continuous biodegradable bleaching effect. These are all things that
could be sourced on ebay for Koi pond use.

That would be my choice, if I didn't just leave the pond pump running
throughout the winter. It only gets switched off if it seems likely that the
pond will freeze over and the Medway is not so much further North that it is
likely to be a lot colder.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

That would be the conversation that TMH would have with his GP
when he telephones late at night to say that his bog is blocked
up. TMH tells him to huck a couple of aspirins into it and to
call in the morning.

Sinking a few branches of willow in the pond is
supposed to keep the water clear... and my Nan
would always drop an aspirin into a vase of
flowers.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-11 10:32:41 +0100, Owain said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
True enough, if I found a potential client wanting a good machine I
could earn a margin, but there is a perception problem peculiar to
HPC's. A jigsaw, for example can be bought for £20 and a really good
one could cost £100 - 5 times the price.
With HPC's you can buy one for £40 but a really good one would cost
£500 - over 12 times the price.

I'm sure Mr Hall could find a really good jigsaw at £240 :-)

Owain

Well.... the Festool is in that range.

Bosch blue, which is almost as good is around half of that.