Smelly water feature

Old April 10th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly water feature

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old April 10th 07, 09:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:33:32 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

Many garden centres do a 'clear feature' additive for water features.
Bleach would do as a temporary measure, but it degrades in a matter of
hours in strong sunlight. Only add a very small amount, as it might harm
any rubber pipework, couplings etc. That presumes, of course, that it is
just a water feature and doesn't have any fish.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Old April 10th 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things
clean & fragrant?

Aspirin?

--
Tony Williams.

Old April 10th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:33:32 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out the
water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a bit
of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something had
got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

I'd try Milton. Rather less damaging and toxic than bleach (if it's OK
for babies....).
Get at the chemist.

http://www.diybanter.com
Old April 10th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for summer.

Pressure washed the deck & furniture, oiled both & decided to clean out
the water feature.

What with handymanning it none of it got done last year so it was all a
bit of a mission.

Water feature was really smelly when switched on, I suspected something
had got into the tank & died!

Turned out just to be filthy, cleaned out tank & filter and all is well.

Is there anything I can add to the tank water to keep things clean &
fragrant?

I'd try Milton. Rather less damaging and toxic than bleach (if it's OK
for babies....).
Get at the chemist.

Milton *is* bleach.

Milton contains Sodium Hypochlorite, same key ingredient as most household
bleach. If you get a thin unperfumed bleach with no extraneous additives
(eg Tesco's Value Bleach) I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff for less
money...

Here's a useful reference: http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

Cheers

Tim
Old April 10th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.
http://www.diybanter.com
Old April 10th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:04 UTC, Tim S wrote:

Here's a useful reference: http://www.milton-tm.com/healthpro/pro_faq.htm

My point was the lack of toxicity. Milton is bleach with some extra
purification - to reduce toxicity - as your reference says. Perhaps I
should have said "Milton is not just bleach". As for the money, it
depends on what value you place on safety - given the relatively small
amount required, cost is not really an issue.

Hi Bob,

Milton *would* say that, wouldn't they...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it for a water feature in the slightest.

To put this in perspective, my late mother told me once that she couldn't
afford Milton for my baby-bottles and she came to a similar conclusion
concerning the fact that many products were based on the same key
ingredient as Milton. Not wanting to poison me, she rang up Domestos's
technical people and asked if such-and-such a Domestos (non-perfumed, non
thickened etc) product was safe to sterilise baby bottles. She was assured
that it was. I'm still alive 38 years or so later...

Perhaps Milton does use Sodium Hypo made to a higher standard, or maybe they
don't. But I *really* don't think anyone's going to get poisoned by using
regular bleach in suitable proportions in the context given here.

However, this is academic - if little is needed, the OP can use Milton if it
makes him happier

Just my 2p's worth.

Cheers

Tim
Old April 10th 07, 10:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

Bleach.
Milton?

Milton is bleach.