Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best kettle and dep fat fryer

For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly put
the gas on we need to double up on a spend..

So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??

(the D.F.F I couldn't care too much what it looks like...)

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:13:40 UTC, "r.bartlett"
wrote:

For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly put
the gas on we need to double up on a spend..

So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??

(the D.F.F I couldn't care too much what it looks like...)

We have a Kenwood DFF, which has served us pretty well. Nice thing is
that virtually all of it can go in the dishwasher....lid (with filter),
casing, basket, fat pan (with embedded element), outer casing... only
the little power/thermostat pod is not machine washable.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"r.bartlett" wrote in message
For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly
put the gas on we need to double up on a spend..

Has she been "examined" lately by men in white coats? ;-)

So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??

You ought to try an ordinary kettle on the stove then as she likes the flame
effect ;-))

(the D.F.F I couldn't care too much what it looks like...)

See here....http://tinyurl.com/3xk4st

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:13:40 GMT, "r.bartlett"
wrote:

|!For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
|!astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

Our Breville 3.1kw from Morrisons has lasted several years,
not bad for GBP 15. 3.1kw is the most you can get out of a 13 amp plug I
would not go back to lower power ones.

Alternatively a traditional kettle to put on the gas/electric ring lasts
for ever.

|!So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly put
|!the gas on we need to double up on a spend..
|!
|!So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??
|!
|!(the D.F.F I couldn't care too much what it looks like...)

We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good

For some more ideas uk.food+drink.misc is thataway
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-08 17:13:40 +0100, "r.bartlett" said:

For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly put
the gas on we need to double up on a spend..

So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??

(the D.F.F I couldn't care too much what it looks like...)

Cheers

Richard

Get a simple stainless steel kettle and use that on the gas.

Save money and your health by consigning the deep fat fryer to the
garbage and don't bother to buy another.
Reduce your fire risk as well. These things are the spawn of the devil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:26:40 +0100, Owain
wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
|! are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
|! market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good
|!
|!But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
|!along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.

Only if one is careless, or drunk.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-08 19:26:40 +0100, Owain said:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good

But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.

Owain

Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas? I guess that Mars bars are OK in the
standard sized ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
|! are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
|! market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good
|!
|!But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
|!along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.

Only if one is careless, or drunk.

All it takes is a moment when someone comes to the door or the phone
rings and the fryer on the cooker goes right out your head as it can
do so very very easily ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-08 19:52:32 +0100, Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
|! are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
|! market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good
|!
|!But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
|!along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.

Only if one is careless, or drunk.

One would have to be pretty careless to entertain the idea of buying
and using one of these things in the first place.

Over 8000 fires a year, over 30 deaths and nearly 3000 injuries.
That's just from the fire hazard and before taking the health hazard
into account

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:27:01 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Only if one is careless, or drunk.

No.

One would have to be pretty careless to entertain the idea of buying
and using one of these things in the first place.

Over 8000 fires a year, over 30 deaths and nearly 3000 injuries.
That's just from the fire hazard and before taking the health hazard
into account

On of our service engineers lived next door to a neighbour with
borderline dementia, she put the chip pan on the stove and went out
looking for the dog.

The wind slammed the door shut behind her ...

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:17:45 +0100, Stuart B
mused:

wrote:

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|! We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
|! are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
|! market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good
|!
|!But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
|!along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.

Only if one is careless, or drunk.

All it takes is a moment when someone comes to the door or the phone
rings and the fryer on the cooker goes right out your head as it can
do so very very easily ..

That would be carelessness then.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On of our service engineers lived next door to a neighbour with
borderline dementia, she put the chip pan on the stove and went out
looking for the dog.

The wind slammed the door shut behind her ...

DG

There's a Knock knock joke in there somewhere

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 23:07:18 GMT, "r.bartlett"
wrote:

On of our service engineers lived next door to a neighbour with
borderline dementia, she put the chip pan on the stove and went out
looking for the dog.

The wind slammed the door shut behind her ...

DG

There's a Knock knock joke in there somewhere

There deserves to be doesn't there ?

But it's all arse about face. The old biddy's knocking on her own door
from the ouside trying to get in and the chip pan's not saying "who's
there".

She was just lucky he was a service engineer and had his favourite
tools in the car.

Especially the big hammer.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , r.bartlett
writes

On of our service engineers lived next door to a neighbour with
borderline dementia, she put the chip pan on the stove and went out
looking for the dog.

The wind slammed the door shut behind her ...

DG

There's a Knock knock joke in there somewhere

Who's there

chip and pan ...

well it was on the cards, wasn't it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas? I guess that Mars bars are OK in the
standard sized ones.

Was in our local fish and chippy the other day... in walks a small group
of teenage girls - rather sheepishly one produces a Mars bar from her
pocket and asks for it to be battered! This obviously happens frequently
enough that none of the staff seemed to "react" in any way... (other
than dipping it in batter, frying it and returning it to her a couple of
mins later). Apparently they don't even charge for the service!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas? I guess that Mars bars are OK in the
standard sized ones.

Was in our local fish and chippy the other day... in walks a small
group of teenage girls - rather sheepishly one produces a Mars bar from
her pocket and asks for it to be battered!

I'd have pulled out a large club hammer and flattened the sugary muck.

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in
Scotland in order to fit in the pizzas? I guess that Mars bars are
OK in the standard sized ones.

Was in our local fish and chippy the other day... in walks a small
group of teenage girls - rather sheepishly one produces a Mars bar
from her pocket and asks for it to be battered!

I'd have pulled out a large club hammer and flattened the sugary muck.

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Apart from Rick Stein's maybe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 11:11:20 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas? I guess that Mars bars are OK in the
standard sized ones.

Was in our local fish and chippy the other day... in walks a small
group of teenage girls - rather sheepishly one produces a Mars bar from
her pocket and asks for it to be battered!

I'd have pulled out a large club hammer and flattened the sugary muck.

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Apart from Rick Stein's maybe?

You're kidding. If I was going to go to Padstow, I'd go for the
Seafood Restaurant.

The idea of being able to choose the fish before cooking certainly
appeals. This is possible in many other countries but not generally
in the UK - probably a residual effect of our poor food culture until
recent years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
|!
|!On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:26:40 +0100, Owain
|!wrote:
|!
|!|!Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|!|! We have a Chip pan works fine, fill it 1/3 full of beef dripping and you
|!|! are away. We inherited ours, not sure if you can still buy them. The
|!|! market has been taken over by DFFs which are IMO nothing like as good
|!|!
|!|!But are significantly less likely to set the house on fire - chip pans
|!|!along with smoking the most common cause of house fires.
|!
|!Only if one is careless, or drunk.
|!
|!All it takes is a moment when someone comes to the door or the phone
|!rings and the fryer on the cooker goes right out your head as it can
|!do so very very easily ..

Our kitchen Smoke Alarm works fine, it objects to over brown toast, and
meat on the grill slightly overdone, so should the Chip Pan overheat which
it has not done for **forty** years it will go off and prevent serious
problems.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 11:11:20 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:35:07 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Was in our local fish and chippy the other day... in walks a small
group of teenage girls - rather sheepishly one produces a Mars bar from
her pocket and asks for it to be battered!

I'd have pulled out a large club hammer and flattened the sugary muck.

Serving Suggestion :

Coat in seasoned flour and shallow fry. Serve in a plastic tray with
half a tin of Noodle Doodles to make a Mars Bar Scallopine Milanese

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 07:35:07 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Whatever induced you to go in...?

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Whatever induced you to go in...?

Phil

He was looking for a nice rocket salad
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:38:59 UTC, Stuart Noble
wrote:

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

City Fish Bar in Canterbury.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

City Fish Bar in Canterbury.

Well, actually, the one next to Wetherspoons in Herne Bay wasn't bad
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

City Fish Bar in Canterbury.

Well, actually, the one next to Wetherspoons in Herne Bay wasn't bad
either.

Only tried that once, a while ago. It's too far to walk compared to the
other two local ones...(must be nearly a mile to that Wetherspoons!)
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:38:59 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

The idea of being able to choose the fish before cooking certainly
appeals.

This is possible in many other countries but not generally in
the UK - probably a residual effect of our poor food culture until
recent years.

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

I've done a lot of research on this.

I've come to the conclusion that potatoes should still have the muck
on them 'till the moment they are pealed and then be fried straight
away.

Potatoes that have been pre-washed and then stored at supermarket
temp. can't be used to make proper chips.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The idea of being able to choose the fish before cooking certainly
appeals.

This is possible in many other countries but not generally in
the UK - probably a residual effect of our poor food culture until
recent years.

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

I've done a lot of research on this.

I've come to the conclusion that potatoes should still have the muck
on them 'till the moment they are pealed and then be fried straight
away.

Potatoes that have been pre-washed and then stored at supermarket
temp. can't be used to make proper chips.

DG

Couldn't agree more. Nearly all supermarket spuds smell bad if you put
your snout right up to them, but they've found a way to stop them
looking mouldy on the shelves. At least with proper spuds you can see
which ones to chuck.
I can only conclude that the nation's taste buds have been shot to
pieces by our obsession with herbs and spices, and no one can tell the
difference any more.
Ever tried KFC chips? I did once, not long ago, because I was absolutely
famished at the end of a long day. Desperate as I was, I just couldn't
eat them, and the dog I offered them to wasn't interested either (I
thought labs ate anything).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 12:38:59 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-09 11:11:20 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

Apart from Rick Stein's maybe?

You're kidding. If I was going to go to Padstow, I'd go for the
Seafood Restaurant.

The idea of being able to choose the fish before cooking certainly appeals.

This is possible in many other countries but not generally in
the UK - probably a residual effect of our poor food culture until
recent years.

And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

Good thing really....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!

I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Whatever induced you to go in...?

Phil

I was a poor student at the time and it was on the coast so at least
there was reasonable fish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 15:56:48 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-09 04:30:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

This obviously happens frequently enough that none of the staff seemed
to "react" in any way... (other than dipping it in batter, frying it
and returning it to her a couple of mins later). Apparently they don't
even charge for the service!
I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...

Whatever induced you to go in...?

Phil

He was looking for a nice rocket salad

I'm not sure that that had been introduced into the UK at that point.
The Dimbleby spaghetti harvest was still talked about regularly and
most people thought that it came in cans or at best, dried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Do you not occasionally wish to relive some aspects of your student days?

The all-night essays, the copious drinking, sex in the library carrels...

Damn, your library was so much better than ours then ;-)

(the others sound familiar though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:
Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas?

Normally a deep-fried pizza is a 4 or 5 inch one, which fits into a
normal-width frier without real problems. People expect them to be curled
up round the edges anyway, to keep the lake of fat on the top.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-09 22:27:22 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I don't think I've been in one of those places for over 30 years...
Whatever induced you to go in...?

I was a poor student at the time and it was on the coast so at least
there was reasonable fish.

Do you not occasionally wish to relive some aspects of your student days?

The all-night essays, the copious drinking, sex in the library carrels...

Owain

Yes I suppose I do. Well the second and third, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-10 16:06:09 +0100, Aidan Karley
said:

In article , Andy Hall wrote:
Do they have extra large size lard pans and deep fat fryers in Scotland
in order to fit in the pizzas?

Normally a deep-fried pizza is a 4 or 5 inch one, which fits into a
normal-width frier without real problems. People expect them to be curled
up round the edges anyway, to keep the lake of fat on the top.

Ah... all clear now; although presumably in Aberdeen, for reasons of
generosity, the lake is drained back into the fryer. To preserve the
health of the customers of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:32:27 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Ah... all clear now; although presumably in Aberdeen, for reasons of
generosity, the lake is drained back into the fryer. To preserve the
health of the customers of course.

Aye, in Aberdeen they take a deposit on the chip fork.

There's posh - forks for eating chips...

What's the matter with good old fingers?

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

On 2007-04-09, Stuart Noble wrote:
And now you can't get a decent portion of chips anywhere.

The Tasty Tuck, Tavistock St., Bedford.

The fish and chip shop in the Dolphin centre
in Tring.......

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 5:13 pm, "r.bartlett" wrote:
For some strange reason we seem too get through kettles at quite an
astonishing rate. Our latest lasted just over a year 23-03-06 :-(

So as the Mrs put the plastic deep fat fryer on the grille then promptly put
the gas on we need to double up on a spend..

So a rapid boil S.S is ideal but any recommendations??

You seem to have triggered a major thread drift, but for what it's
worth I've been very pleased with a Tefal Vitesse kettle.

--
"Spice is the variety of life."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:
Ah... all clear now; although presumably in Aberdeen, for reasons of
generosity, the lake is drained back into the fryer. To preserve the
health of the customers of course.

Never actually seen one on sale in Aberdeen. Had to go to
Auchterarder to get one. (It's a small town much closer to Glasgow than
Aberdeen.)

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Owain wrote:
Aye, in Aberdeen they take a deposit on the chip fork.

In Glasgow, when a seagull leaves a deposit on you (particularly
on a new coat), it's considered a sign of good luck. Which probably
says more about Glasgow than it does about seagull ****.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland