Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bath Tap Washers

My bath taps are extremely hard for my kids to turn off. I know I need
to replace the washers but I've resisted doing it as I can't seem to
find a way to turn off the water except at the mains - The hot water
continues to flow as does the cold from the tank in the loft. What are
the sizes of washer I'm likely to need to do this? If I'm going to have
to drain the hot and cold tanks I'd rather have what I need available
without having to go out in the middle of it all. The taps are about 20
years old if that suggests anything.

Tanks
--
John

remove dimspam if replying by mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My bath taps are extremely hard for my kids to turn off. I know I need
to replace the washers but I've resisted doing it as I can't seem to
find a way to turn off the water except at the mains - The hot water
continues to flow as does the cold from the tank in the loft. What are
the sizes of washer I'm likely to need to do this? If I'm going to have
to drain the hot and cold tanks I'd rather have what I need available
without having to go out in the middle of it all. The taps are about 20
years old if that suggests anything.

From your description it's an oldfahioned unpressurised system, like what
I've got.
There may (should) be a valve between the hot outflow and the hot water
cylinder inlet.

It probably has a wheel as a handle rather than the cross bar of the
mains stopcock. If you find this in the airing cupboard or loft and can
turn it off it should stop the hot flow pretty intantly, though the tap
may well continue to drip a bit - ignore this.

Another way is to block the outflow of the cold tank with a bung, this
may stop your cold tap - it should really come from the mains pipe these
days; some folk say a carrot is good; if I had to do it I think I'd use a
good quality rag or summat - you don't want to end up blocking the pipe -
but I'm speculamating as I've never had to do it

HTH

mike

If your tap hasn't been touched for ages you may be in for a problem
stripping it down, so be prepared.

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
My bath taps are extremely hard for my kids to turn off. I know I need
to replace the washers but I've resisted doing it as I can't seem to
find a way to turn off the water except at the mains - The hot water
continues to flow as does the cold from the tank in the loft. What are
the sizes of washer I'm likely to need to do this? If I'm going to
have to drain the hot and cold tanks I'd rather have what I need
available without having to go out in the middle of it all. The taps
are about 20 years old if that suggests anything.

Sounds like you have an indirect system..

The cold tank in the loft usually supplies the bathroom toilet cistern, bath
& basin cold taps. It also feeds the hot water cylinder.

You might find a valve in the pipe coming out of the tank (unlikely IME) if
not the simplest way is to drain it. If you have a valve on the inlet pipe
turn it off, or tie up the ball valve, or turn off the mains then turn on
the cold taps in the bathroom. Depending on the size of the tank this can
take 10-20 mins.

This should also stop the flow of hot water and you shouldn't have to drain
that (cold water from the tank pushes the hot water out of the cylinder).

Most bath taps are 3/4" washers, but they are cheap enough to buy a few
different sizes.

HTH

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Kelly wrote:
[...]

Thanks and thanks to Mike also. Yes, that describes what I've got,
including the wheel shaped thing in the airing cupboard. I'll go and buy
a few different washer sizes tomorrow and hopefully sort it out on the
weekend.

--
John

remove dimspam if replying by mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:12:44 +0100, John Kelly
wrote:

Thanks and thanks to Mike also. Yes, that describes what I've got,
including the wheel shaped thing in the airing cupboard. I'll go and buy
a few different washer sizes tomorrow and hopefully sort it out on the
weekend.

The current Lidl specials features a little accessory tray chest
containing loads of bits for replacing consumables at home. It is
stuffed full of washers of all types, particularly tap ones.

It costs £4.99 and I am off for my second one in a minute.

We costed the contents individually in merchants and sheds and make it
approaching £50 for bits bought seperately. It has saved my arse for
the last year in loads of different situations from the car to a
shower install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote in
:

Thanks and thanks to Mike also. Yes, that describes what I've got,
including the wheel shaped thing in the airing cupboard. I'll go and
buy a few different washer sizes tomorrow and hopefully sort it out on
the weekend.

Glad it helps.

Have you tried operating the gate valve (wheel handle) to make sure you can
operate it, and also that you can loosen the chrome capps, and the brass
inserts on the taps which carry the washers? These may well be pretty
solid, and you will need to be sure you can get at the business end if you
want to do it in one hit.

OSINTOTS apart, of course

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

OSINTOTS apart, of course

OSINTOTS ???

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
mike wrote:

OSINTOTS apart, of course

OSINTOTS ???

Oh Sh*t I Never Thought Of That Senario is my guess!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in
:

OSINTOTS apart, of course

OSINTOTS ???

Oh Sh*t I Never Thought Of That Senario is my guess!

My version was Oh **** I Never Thought of Thats

mike

Help ! changed bath tap washers and now no water JWH Home Repair 8 July 28th 06 06:09 PM
Bath tap cooler than kitchen tap???????? [email protected] UK diy 4 February 6th 06 07:04 PM
Tap washers john UK diy 10 January 10th 06 01:13 AM
Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually? tinklemagoo UK diy 14 September 6th 05 11:40 AM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM