Junior Member

Question How do I turn off hot water to upstairs hot water taps

There is no hot water coming out of the hot tap for the bath but the hot water tap for the sink does have hot water coming out of it. I have checked the tap and it is not bunged up with limescale. To check to se if other parts of the tap are not gunked up I need to take the tap apart but I can't work out how to cut the hot water off to the tap, help the missus is bending my ear!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I turn off hot water to upstairs hot water taps

"DIY Numpty" wrote in message
news

There is no hot water coming out of the hot tap for the bath but the hot
water tap for the sink does have hot water coming out of it. I have
checked the tap and it is not bunged up with limescale. To check to se
if other parts of the tap are not gunked up I need to take the tap apart
but I can't work out how to cut the hot water off to the tap, help the
missus is bending my ear!!!

It might help if you gave some details of the kind of system you have.
Combi, traditional boiler with an immersion tank etc. There will either be a
shut off valve in the line to the tap or one that stops cold water getting
into the bottom of the immersion tank which therefore stops hot water
getting out of it. Follow the pipework.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:33:58 +0100, DIY Numpty
wrote:

There is no hot water coming out of the hot tap for the bath but the hot
water tap for the sink does have hot water coming out of it. I have
checked the tap and it is not bunged up with limescale. To check to se
if other parts of the tap are not gunked up I need to take the tap apart
but I can't work out how to cut the hot water off to the tap, help the
missus is bending my ear!!!

If you have a combi boiler just turn the water off at the mains.

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

these gate valves (i think thats their name) always gunk up and leak when
fully off
so, are they a servicable item or for the money, is it easier to just change
it ?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There is no hot water coming out of the hot tap for the bath but the hot
water tap for the sink does have hot water coming out of it. I have
checked the tap and it is not bunged up with limescale. To check to se
if other parts of the tap are not gunked up I need to take the tap apart
but I can't work out how to cut the hot water off to the tap, help the
missus is bending my ear!!!

If you have a combi boiler just turn the water off at the mains.

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

If you're really stuck, then regardless of what system you have then if
you just turn off the water at the mains and open the taps, then
eventually they'll all run dry either sooner or later. Best not to do
it if you've got a full tank of hot water on board though, as it's a bit
of a waste!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There is no hot water coming out of the hot tap for the bath but the
hot water tap for the sink does have hot water coming out of it. I
have checked the tap and it is not bunged up with limescale. To
check to se if other parts of the tap are not gunked up I need to
take the tap apart but I can't work out how to cut the hot water off
to the tap, help the missus is bending my ear!!!

If you have a combi boiler just turn the water off at the mains.

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

Make that 'always' crepped up. Useless things. Spray with WD40, remove
wheel & use mole grips or similar.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:50:28 +0100, "Vass"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

these gate valves (i think thats their name) always gunk up and leak when
fully off
so, are they a servicable item or for the money, is it easier to just change
it ?

Change it for a "quarter turn full bore lever valve". They are very
cheap and work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:33:14 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Make that 'always' crepped up. Useless things. Spray with WD40, remove
wheel & use mole grips or similar.

I said that last year in here and 6 people turned up that have had
them for 30 years and they always work perfectly, so I got kicked to
death. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:42:32 +0000, EricP wrote:

Change it for a "quarter turn full bore lever valve". They are very
cheap and work.

But a tad longer than gate valves and sometimes the gate valve's
compression fittings have a different thread so not always straightforward
to replace. (Also factor in no play in the pipes, 3/4" pipework etc ...)

Still worth doing so though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
EricP wrote:

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn that
off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

Make that 'always' crepped up.

Not if you have a monthly routine of house maintenance, which includes
operating valves and stopcocks and servicing any that don't work easily.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

If you have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and a tank in the roof,
you should see a large pipe coming down and into the bottom of the
cylinder with a large valve in it with a circular tap on it. Turn
that off. (If you can. They are usually crapped up)

Make that 'always' crepped up.

Not if you have a monthly routine of house maintenance, which includes
operating valves and stopcocks and servicing any that don't work
easily.

Most of my customers don't even know where the stopcock is, let alone have a
routine.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman