Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default front door threshold

Hi all.
I'm planning to replace the entire door frame/side light
timbers in not too distant future. The frame that is
in place now is probably the same one installed when the house
was built about a hundred yeasrs ago, although the door was
new circa 15 years or more ago.
So if I'm going to replace the frame I should also replace the threshold
timber.
So 2 questions:

Is it a simple job the remove and replace the threshold?
..
And what kind of joint is it that locks the frame verticals to the
threshold?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur wrote:
Hi all.
I'm planning to replace the entire door frame/side light
timbers in not too distant future. The frame that is
in place now is probably the same one installed when the house
was built about a hundred yeasrs ago, although the door was
new circa 15 years or more ago.
So if I'm going to replace the frame I should also replace the
threshold timber.
So 2 questions:

Is it a simple job the remove and replace the threshold?

If you are renewing the 'entire' doorframe, then if there is a wooden sill
(threshold) at the bottom, running the width of the frame, then this will be
fitted to the bottom of the frame during the manufacturing process using
motice and tenon joints.

And what kind of joint is it that locks the frame verticals to the
threshold?

The stiles (verticals) will be fixed to the head and sill using simple
'through' haunched mortice and tenons (the haunch can be deleted on an inner
stile) using water resistant glue and either wooden wedges into the tenons
or 'star' nails hammered through the head and sill penetrating the sides of
the tenons.

Please be aware that if you are inexperienced at this sort of joinery, that
various rebates are needed and 'drips' inserted to prevent 'water tracking'
into the property - and I would advise that you firstly read a good joinery
book (from the library) and then have a word with a timber merchant so that
he can point you in the right direction as to the type of door framing to
use.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian G" wrote in message ...
Arthur wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Brian.
I hadn't thought of the upper framework and threshold as a unit. But it makes
sense in terms of sizing for a door.
I am looking to replace everything with first class timbers preferably oak if I can
get the materials for affordable prices. Having said that, My front door is fully exposed to the elements and if I am advised to choose settle for just quality hard timber then I will..after all,
its a mid terrace..not Balmoral.
I've found a couple sales on ebay that are giving me some idea of the costs of materials involved.
If you could give me your input on wether these represent good value

sapele mahogany door casing timbers http://tinyurl.com/2n5vfo

Oak timbers http://tinyurl.com/2h2m3m

Thanks again.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
Arthur wrote:
[...]

===========================

Arthur,

I don't know what your level of skill is, but I would suggest that before
you buy your material off Ebay, you take a sketch of your frame to a local
timber suppliers/joinery shop and ask them what 'shape' material that you
need - as "replacing everything with first class timbers preferably oak if
I can" *AND* getting that material "for affordable prices" may not be
possible if you get the wrong stuff from Ebay

From your description, I would hazard a guess that there are two possible
ways to make this frame:

1 - Make the door frame and side-light as one unit - requiring a normal
rebate (to take the door) and a stopped rebate on the back (to take the
glass) on one of the door stiles - along with a 'built in' window sill (yet
more
work will be needed if you have an opening window sash).

2 - Make the door frame and window light as separate units and the 'screw'
them together during the fixing progress - avoiding the extra rebate work,
but bulkier and needing cover strips to hide the join - and to me, less
aesthetic.

Brian G