Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of new roof and rebuklt gable ends

I hesitate to ask this slightly off-topic question, but I want to make
an offer on a house for Monday and I need to estimate roughly the cost
of some major reroofing work. It is in Cambridge.

The house is a typical Victorian terraced-style house but it is in
fact a single detached one. It has an obvious problem: The two
gable ends (from top floor ceiling level) are leaning over, both the
same way (i.e. one leaning in in and one leaning out). I estimatre the
maximum lean to be about 75mm. One end includes a chimney (leaning
in). The roof trusses must be all leaning over inside there. The roof
is also very uneven.

At a rough guess there is about 40 sq metre horizontal area under the
roof. The gable ends are about 8 metres wide and 2 metres high and
the chimney projects about 1.5 metres above the apex (it looks an
unusually high chimery. The roof is slate. It was built in about
1900 I think.

You could erect scaffolding to gain access to the gables

Can anyone give me any kind of guess as to what it would cost to
rebuild the gable ends and replace the roof timbers etc.

Thank you for your help folks. I need to put my offer in before 9 am
Monday, so I don't have time to ask a builders.

Any thoughts or comments would also be welcome.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Laws wrote:
[...]

I would say not more than ten grand..Phone Tanner and Hall. Get a quote
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Depends on how much material can be re used or if all new bricks and slates
have to be used. At a guess, New roof £3000, re build gables £2000, new
timber roof structure £3000, scaffolding £700, wastes skips £600. Total
£9000 to £10,000

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

At a guess about £9000. New roof £3000, new gables £2000, new roof timbers
£3000 scaffolding £700 and skips £600. You might get away with using the
original slates and bricks, but if the roof is uneven then its new roof
timbers and maybe new ceilings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , keith_765
writes

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

£10 Grand...

Thats about how much the average Cambridge house appreciates over a few
months.

No brainier really!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 8:48 am, tony sayer wrote:
In article , keith_765
writes

[...]

Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

Thank you everyone for those very helpful replies. Yes, houses in
Cambridge are zooming up in oprice at the moment, though they may well
come down again with a bump. 1/3 of purchases are apparently by
people from London. We find that small Victorian terraced houses in
Cambridge ar eregularly selling for over £500,000.

It would be a 'no brainer' if it was clear that prices will continue
to rise at 15-20% pa. But there are record nukbers of houses coming
on the the market now and maybe the prices will fall. They did once
before (1997 was it?) and it was quite dramatic.

This particular house is a "make your best and final ffers" job so we
need to clarify the costs as wel las we can. Bids to be in by 9 am
Monday, so no chance to get quotes.

Thank you again everyone,

Robert and Gabriela

Robert