Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old wall - plaster board or wall paper?

Hi,

We have a wall with thick embossed wall paper on it. One builder has said
that the best thing to do is plasterboard the whole wall and then skim it
(dot and dab?) and then paint it with a waterproof paint (its for a cafe)
Another guy has said to strip the wall paper and put vinyl paper up and then
paint over it - cheaper but will it look ok?

This is for a coffee shop I was going for the paint on plaster look as I
think it looks best. Will it be really noticable that there is wall paper on
the wall or will it look pretty much the same?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lining paper looks pretty much the same as plaster once you've painted over
it. Ideally run the paper strips horizontally, so you won't have any edge
problems if you decide to go back to wall paper later. The plaster itself
will show through the paper as well (specially where you've put all the
filler!) Would not like to get involved with trying to paint over vinyl:
sounds horrible and the pattern would almost certainly show through. If
it's for a cafe, make sure you treat the plaster for mould before you paper
it. Whatever you do, don't put gloss paint straight on the wall (see thread
'which grade of sandpaper...').

"Steve R" wrote in message
Hi,

We have a wall with thick embossed wall paper on it. One builder has said
that the best thing to do is plasterboard the whole wall and then skim it
(dot and dab?) and then paint it with a waterproof paint (its for a cafe)
Another guy has said to strip the wall paper and put vinyl paper up and
then paint over it - cheaper but will it look ok?

This is for a coffee shop I was going for the paint on plaster look as I
think it looks best. Will it be really noticable that there is wall paper
on the wall or will it look pretty much the same?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Mar, 15:32, "Steve R" wrote:

Hi,

We have a wall with thick embossed wall paper on it. One builder has said
that the best thing to do is plasterboard the whole wall and then skim it
(dot and dab?) and then paint it with a waterproof paint (its for a cafe)
Another guy has said to strip the wall paper and put vinyl paper up and then
paint over it - cheaper but will it look ok?

This is for a coffee shop I was going for the paint on plaster look as I
think it looks best. Will it be really noticable that there is wall paper on
the wall or will it look pretty much the same?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Heavy textured paper is routinely used to hide a messy uneven plaster
surface. Only when the old is off will you know whether the surface is
good or bad, and this whether you need to
a) put something similar on / cover it all with pb / replaster / skim,
or
b) the wall's ok and you can do what you like directly.

My money would go on A though, meaning plain paper would more likely
not be upto it. Good chance the builder knows this, and intends to
show you the mess and ask for money after all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:
[top-post corrected]
"Steve R" wrote in message

We have a wall with thick embossed wall paper on it. One builder
has said that the best thing to do is plasterboard the whole wall
and then skim it (dot and dab?) and then paint it with a waterproof
paint (its for a cafe) Another guy has said to strip the wall
paper and put vinyl paper up and then paint over it - cheaper but
will it look ok?

Lining paper looks pretty much the same as plaster once you've
painted over it. Ideally run the paper strips horizontally, so you
won't have any edge problems if you decide to go back to wall paper
later.

I agree, but certainly wouldn't put up the lining paper horizontally.
Firstly, it's a lot more awkward to hang that way; secondly, if it *is*
possible to see any lines beneath the paint (and that's more likely with
horizontal paper given that it's more difficult to hang) then they will
look more jarring if they run horizontally; and thirdly, I cannot
understand the oft-reported 'worry' about 'edge problems' if the lining
paper and final paper are both hung vertically. You just make sure the
two drops are out of synch when you hang them - not exactlty rocket science!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I thought it would be a pain to put the lining paper on sideways, and
never got around to attempting it myself, but a couple of 'old hands' who
did some recent decorating for us, but the lining paper on sideways, without
being asked, or even mentioning it, and I was surprised at how even it all
looks. I think the paint fills up the join line more easily than when I go
via the simpler vertical option.

"Lobster" wrote in message
spamlet wrote:
[top-post corrected]

Paint under wall paper Bod UK diy 1 June 24th 06 09:17 AM
removed wall paper and drywall paper came off with it PipeDown Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 05:01 AM
IKEA kitchen wall cabinet hanging on plaster wall without stud coder UK diy 12 November 4th 04 08:53 AM
9 inch party wall with plaster board dry lining. Bazzer UK diy 3 March 18th 04 10:56 PM
dot and dab insulated plaster board on solid wall - ok? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 4 October 14th 03 03:24 PM