Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler, position of feed and return?

I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?
Regards
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:52:32 -0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

|!I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
|!flue through bungalow roof.
|!I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
|!of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
|!cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
|!A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
|!boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
|!boiler.
|!Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
|!located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
|!at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?

All the Baxi ones have *all* pipes in a row at the bottom.
AFAIK most are the same.
Go on line and look at the manufacturers web sites, they have all the
information there.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot writes:
I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom?

Any even slightly knowlegable CORGI will be able to answer that question.
Your CORGI friend would appear to be completely clueless, and I suggest
you avoid him.

Of all the condensing boilers I looked at when I was choosing one to
install, I don't actually recall any which had the pipework anywhere
other than at the bottom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?
Regards
Don

There are loads on the market. One wonders where your friend has
been. Many of the German makes or those derived from them have
bottom entry. Have a look on the Discounted Heating website. They
have a comprehensive range with descriptions and links to manufacturer
sites. Usually you can grab the installation guide.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the
bottom of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve
and airing cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be
located at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?
Regards
Don

Our Alpha CD32C has *all* pipes at the bottom. If he's CORGI then he needs a
refresher course.

John

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:52:32 -0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

|!I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
|!flue through bungalow roof.
|!I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
|!of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
|!cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
|!A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
|!boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
|!boiler.
|!Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
|!located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
|!at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?

All the Baxi ones have *all* pipes in a row at the bottom.
AFAIK most are the same.
Go on line and look at the manufacturers web sites, they have all the
information there.

Perhaps your CORGI-mate could suggest a boiler where the pipe
connections *are* actually at the top. I'm on nodding terms with various
models each by Vaillant, Worcester-Bosch, Sime, and Ideal - all of which
have bottom connections. In fact the W-B has provision to permit the
pipes to approach from the top too, if necessary.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.

My Ideal Isar has all pipes at the bottom (with an optional piping frame
that allows the boiler to be stood off the wall by a couple of inches if
you want to run pipes up behind the boiler)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Donwill
writes
I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?

I wouldn't let your neighbour anywhere near a gas appliance then - I
can't think of a single wall mounted boiler which ISN'T bottom fed

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , raden
writes
I wouldn't let your neighbour anywhere near a gas appliance then - I
can't think of a single wall mounted boiler which ISN'T bottom fed

Maybe CORGI engineers are trained to mount them upside down?

I'm guessing maybe the "CORGI" badge has the same credibility as the
"NICEIC" badge. There are lots of complete electrical retards driving
round in company vans proudly displaying the NICEIC logo. That's
blanket approval for you.

Sometimes I think the only paperwork for joining the NICEIC is a cheque.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:52:32 +0000, Donwill wrote:

I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced
flue through bungalow roof.
I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom
of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing
cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall.
A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the
boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the
boiler.
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located
at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?
Regards
Don

I wonder how up to date the membership/experience/training of the
'friend' is.

Most boilers now seem to have connections at the bottom with an optional
stand off frame for routing pipes behind and up if needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks to you all for your illuminating contributions, I shall proceed
with due care and caution :-)
Best regards
Mot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Donwill
writes
[...]

The new Glowworm Flexicom HX range (open vented) have flow/returns off the
top, the SX and CX range (system) are off the bottom.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fentoozler
writes
Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are
located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be
located
at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?

I wouldn't let your neighbour anywhere near a gas appliance then - I can't
think of a single wall mounted boiler which ISN'T bottom fed

--
geoff

The new Glowworm Flexicom HX range (open vented) have flow/returns off the
top, the SX and CX range (system) are off the bottom.

Never come across one

It doesn't change the fact that the OP's neighbour is a clueless CORGI
and shouldn't be let near anything more dangerous than a wax crayon

--
geoff