Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Choosing a Sealant Applicator Gun

I have several Sealant Applicator Guns - all the real cheap types. They
work but, for more viscous products, can be very tiring.

Until I got various medical problems (tennis elbow being the most
directly related) I was able to use the guns. But now I really want to
be a bit more careful.

Looking around, I found a number at Screwfix - including three P C Cox
models. I haven't got (and won't be buying) a compressor so the Airflow
is out. Would the Powerflow actually be any easier on my arm than what I
already have? Or is the Easiflow almost as good and much cheaper? Or
should I accept that they are all tough going with viscous compounds?

Feel free to point me anywhere on-line - Screwfix had a reasonable range
that was easy to find so that is the link I included.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp;?cId=A236074&ts=58169
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 20:58, Rod wrote:
I have several Sealant Applicator Guns - all the real cheap types. They
work but, for more viscous products, can be very tiring.

Until I got various medical problems (tennis elbow being the most
directly related) I was able to use the guns. But now I really want to
be a bit more careful.

Looking around, I found a number at Screwfix - including three P C Cox
models. I haven't got (and won't be buying) a compressor so the Airflow
is out. Would the Powerflow actually be any easier on my arm than what I
already have? Or is the Easiflow almost as good and much cheaper? Or
should I accept that they are all tough going with viscous compounds?

Feel free to point me anywhere on-line - Screwfix had a reasonable range
that was easy to find so that is the link I included.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp;?cId=A236074&ts=58169

The dogs spheroids is a Durgun ... i.e.
http://www.goldmedalco.com/new_products.htm

Use one all the time, good product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Feel free to point me anywhere on-line - Screwfix had a reasonable range
that was easy to find so that is the link I included.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp;?cId=A236074&ts=58169

I use a couple of these:

which seem to work as well as any I have tried so far. However it sounds
like you would be better off with something like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

(you can also get mains powered versions which are usually cheaper)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I have several Sealant Applicator Guns - all the real cheap types. They
work but, for more viscous products, can be very tiring.

The viscosity of many things tends to reduce as the temperature is raised. So
perhaps making sure that the sealant is not to cold might help. e.g. not stored
in a cold garage during winter.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Osprey wrote:
The dogs spheroids is a Durgun ... i.e.
http://www.goldmedalco.com/new_products.htm

Use one all the time, good product.

Thanks, Osprey, I looked around and found no hits for it on sites I have
previously bought from. Then I looked again at Screwfix. This looks like
the Durgun - but doesn't use any brand name:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236074&ts=27475&id=27679

Is it?

(Actually noticed it by chance on QVC as a Durgan - no wonder it's
difficult to find if no-one can spell it properly.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Michael Chare wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
I have several Sealant Applicator Guns - all the real cheap types. They
work but, for more viscous products, can be very tiring.

The viscosity of many things tends to reduce as the temperature is raised. So
perhaps making sure that the sealant is not to cold might help. e.g. not stored
in a cold garage during winter.

Last I used one extensively was last summer - very warm! But I take your
point.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Osprey wrote:
The dogs spheroids is a Durgun ... i.e.
http://www.goldmedalco.com/new_products.htm

Use one all the time, good product.

Thanks, Osprey, I looked around and found no hits for it on sites I have
previously bought from. Then I looked again at Screwfix. This looks like
the Durgun - but doesn't use any brand name:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236074&ts=27475&id=27679

Is it?

(Actually noticed it by chance on QVC as a Durgan - no wonder it's
difficult to find if no-one can spell it properly.)

--
Rod

I bought mine off QVC. I endorse the Durgun applicator as a fine product -
there was an extensive thread about this a few months(?) back.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236074&ts=27475&id=2...

Is it?

(Actually noticed it by chance on QVC as a Durgan - no wonder it's
difficult to find if no-one can spell it properly.)

--
Rod

That looks the same as mine .... they are good, just keep tubes in the
warm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

like you would be better off with something like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=mastic&user_s...

For that money he could buy a compressor and an air powered gun. I
thought about building my own electric gun using a cheap cordless
drill but of course never got around to it.
I was recently using some sealant that I could hardly get out of the
tube using a regular gun but with my air powered one it was a piece of
cake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 20:58, Rod wrote:
I have several Sealant Applicator Guns - all the real cheap types. They
work but, for more viscous products, can be very tiring.

I've been impressed with Cox guns. A minute in the microwave might
make the tubes a lot less viscous. At your risk, since I've not done
this, but that might end the problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:
like you would be better off with something like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=mastic&user_s...

For that money he could buy a compressor and an air powered gun. I
thought about building my own electric gun using a cheap cordless
drill but of course never got around to it.

In the latest axminster catalogue they have one around the 40 quid mark
IIRC - although that may be sans batteries and charger.

I was recently using some sealant that I could hardly get out of the
tube using a regular gun but with my air powered one it was a piece of
cake.

Must get round to trying the air powered one I bought years ago ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.