Aldi Air Compressor

Old February 26th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Air Compressor

Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools at
bargain prices http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old February 26th 07, 10:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 21:15, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools at
bargain priceshttp://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Its a Thursday morning offer, as in be there before opening Thursday
morning of you want one.
I was last year and its a great deal, throroughly reccomended.

Adam

Old February 28th 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools at
bargain prices http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

As a business, you would need to comply with the Pressure Systems Safety
Regulations 2000 if you buy one. That means regular inspections of the air
receiver and I don't see a suitable inspection port - usually a very big
hexagonal nut in the centre of the end cap. I note that the specifications
do not state whether the 270 l/min is a continuous or an intermittent
rating, so I would guess that it is probably not continuously rated. I would
also be rather dubious of its suitability for spray painting, as I have paid
more than that for the filters/separators needed to produce the clean, dry
air that spray painting needs.

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good
second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of providing
5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has no pressure
vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or inspections.

Colin Bignell

Old February 28th 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

news

8

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good
second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of
providing 5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has no
pressure vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or
inspections.

5.5kw is not a portable device in handyman terms.
There aren't many homes that have the required power outlets.
They aren't cheap either.

Old February 28th 07, 09:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
news

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools at
bargain prices http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

As a business, you would need to comply with the Pressure Systems Safety
Regulations 2000 if you buy one.

Unless I'm not up to date, no, because its capacity is less than
250barlitres

Jim A

Old February 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
news

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools
at bargain prices http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

8

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good
second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of
providing 5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has
no pressure vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or
inspections.

5.5kw is not a portable device in handyman terms.
There aren't many homes that have the required power outlets.
They aren't cheap either.

The Hydrovane 5 (5cfm), rather than the HV05 (25-32 cfm), would run off a 13
amp socket. It also used to be available with a neat wheeled frame, although
ISTR that was an optional extra.

Colin Bignell

Old February 28th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
news

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
o.uk...
Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools
at bargain prices http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

As a business, you would need to comply with the Pressure Systems Safety
Regulations 2000 if you buy one.

Unless I'm not up to date, no, because its capacity is less than
250barlitres

I've never had a pressure system that small, so I missed that point.

Colin Bignell

Old February 28th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Ooo! Wrong one then. 8-(

Old February 28th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 08:30, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in onder.co.uk...

Aldi have a 2.5HP Air Compressor at under 60 and a range of air tools at
bargain priceshttp://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

suitable inspection port - usually a very big
hexagonal nut in the centre of the end cap.

The receiver has one, a drain plug at the bottom and and indented test
tag welded to it

I note that the specifications
do not state whether the 270 l/min is a continuous or an intermittent
rating, so I would guess that it is probably not continuously rated.

Its only a 25 litre receiver so continuous operation partly depends on
the tool, it definately wont run a DA sander at all really.

I would
also be rather dubious of its suitability for spray painting, as I have paid
more than that for the filters/separators needed to produce the clean, dry
air that spray painting needs.

Indeed just a service on a devilbiss gun is about twice cost of whole
kit.
Though if the alternative is aerosol the gravity feed gun is an
improvement, its also slightly better than the siphon gun Machine Mart
sell for about 15 quid on its own.
Also get a humbrol style airbrush that wont turn you into Roger Dean
but will help you do that stencil design.Tyre inflater , blow gun and
long nose paraffin gun for 60 quid with a 3 year guarantee.Its a good
deal within its limitations.

Air chisel, also on offer, is best tile remover I`ve found yet.

Personally, if I needed a portable source of air, I would look for a good
second-hand Hydrovane 5, without air receiver. That is capable of providing
5 cu ft / min continuously, relatively quietly and, as it has no pressure
vessel, without the need for pressure vessel insurance or inspections.

Hydrovanes seem rarer nowadays, everyone from garages to road crews
seemed to use them for while now lot of them seem to have gone back to
piston compressors. Guess can fix piston compressors with mole grips
and hammer ;-)

Adam

Colin Bignell

Old February 28th 07, 10:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
ps.com...
.... Hydrovanes seem rarer nowadays, everyone from garages to road crews
seemed to use them for while now lot of them seem to have gone back to
piston compressors. Guess can fix piston compressors with mole grips
and hammer ;-)

OTOH Hydrovanes will run for ages without needing to be fixed and are quiet
enough to be used inside the workshop. I have a couple of 15cfm Hydrovanes
on air receivers that have run every working day for about 15 and 20 years
respectively. One has had to have the compressor overhauled, but otherwise
they have not needed anything more than checking the oil and draining the
condensate.

Colin Bignell

Suggestions for inexpensive Air Compressor for finish nailing + air wrenching? [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 7th 06 12:30 AM
This coming weeks Aldi specials - air compressor any good? Francis UK diy 28 March 25th 04 07:30 PM
Can Pan Cake Air Compressor Refill a 5-gal Air Tank for a Brad Gun? Jay Chan Woodworking 32 January 19th 04 04:56 AM
air compressor FH Home Repair 7 August 24th 03 01:02 PM
air compressor ? rb Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 02:26 AM