Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice wanted on roofing after chimney stack removal.

Hi All,
I've just had my gable end chimney stack removed from my 1870's house
by a roofing firm. I made a few enquiries beforehand and was told the
same method of doing it by everybody I spoke to, essentially remove
stack brick by brick to below (slate) roof level, put battens across
gap left by chimney, attach new slates to the battens then attach
ridge tiles and done. And thats exactly what happened and everything
seems fine and all the new slates line up and everything looks
perfect. Only problem is I am a born worrier, and whats bothering me
is the weight of two ridge tiles on the battens which are presumably
only designed to take the weight of the slates. All the other ridge
tiles are supported by a bloody great ridge beam but that ended by the
chimney stack so as its gone there is a gap about 26 inches where the
chimney used to be where two ridge tiles are only supported by the
slates sitting on the, what look like, small battens. I have this
vision of the battens giving out and the two ridge tiles ended up in
the loft.
I do realise the ridge tiles are pointed to the slates and to the
ridge tiles besides them and theres only 2 of them like this and so I
am probably typing this for nothing but could I please just hear that
from others to put my mind at rest or alternatively do I need to sure
anything up?
Thanks for any advice given,
Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

steve573 wrote:
[...]

And the 18 - 24 inch thick brickwork below the battens...IE the remainder of
the chimney.

I have this vision of the battens giving out and the two ridge tiles ended
up in
the loft.
I do realise the ridge tiles are pointed to the slates and to the
ridge tiles besides them and theres only 2 of them like this and so I
am probably typing this for nothing but could I please just hear that
from others to put my mind at rest or alternatively do I need to sure
anything up?
Thanks for any advice given,
Steve.

The rest of the roof might cave in at any moment, but this patch above the
old chimney will still be there...and even if the chimney has been removed
completely, the outer wall must still go up to the underside of the slates -
the wall alone will be at least 9 inches.

Also, it wouldn't matter if there was no brickwork supporting any of it -
the battens aren't designed for roof tiles alone, how do you think they are
laid? - by fourteen stone roofers walking across them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
steve573 wrote:
[...]

The only other thing is, does the end rafter that runs parallel to the brick
gable rest on the remains of the chimney. If not what is supporting it.
The span of the slate lath depend on the thickness. On a 1870 slate roof to
match you use 19mm x 38mm. Which is adequate to carry the slates and ridge.
Its not as if they are stacked on top of one lath, slates cover three laths.
You've nothing to worry about.