Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tips on moving a sectional garage

Hi

I've got a concrete sectional garage only it dominates the back garden
and I want to take it down, reduce it in length and width by removing
panels and then re-erect it in a different place. Before I start
laying a new concrete base, any tips on taking one of these things
down? It's a Prestige garage (based in Stockport) and the panels are
2m x 60cm. It has an apex roof and Henderson up and over door. Tips
anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Feb, 09:54, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
It happens that formulated :

Hi
I've got a concrete sectional garage only it dominates the back garden
and I want to take it down, reduce it in length and width by removing
panels and then re-erect it in a different place. Before I start
laying a new concrete base, any tips on taking one of these things
down? It's a Prestige garage (based in Stockport) and the panels are
2m x 60cm. It has an apex roof and Henderson up and over door. Tips
anyone?

Your biggest problem might be the roof. I assume the roof is supported
by steel framing and this will need to be re-adjusted. Be aware that
those concrete panels are very heavy. Method is to remove sides working
towards a corner, so that the two panels forming the corner keep it
vertical until the last moment. When reassembling you start from the
corner.

Is it an asbestos roof?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Thanks Harry, actually the roof frame is wooden and there's scope to
reduce
it in width to some extent. Yes, the roof is asbestos.. is it
difficult or
impossible to cut down? If it means buying new roofing, so be it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

expressed precisely :
wrote:
[...]

It cuts easily enough, but it is the health and safety risks of doing
so. It is cement asbestos sheet, the lowest risk type of asbestos so I
understand. Fine if undisturbed, but there are issues with cutting or
drilling it.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes

Thanks Harry, actually the roof frame is wooden and there's scope to
reduce
it in width to some extent. Yes, the roof is asbestos.. is it
difficult or
impossible to cut down? If it means buying new roofing, so be it

It cuts easily enough, but it is the health and safety risks of doing
so. It is cement asbestos sheet, the lowest risk type of asbestos so I
understand. Fine if undisturbed, but there are issues with cutting or
drilling it.

Not really - if you keep it wet. The problem is that it becomes very
brittle. The other problem will be getting drilled holes to line up

If there was really such a danger from it, I would be dead by now

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:05:38 +0000, Mark S.
wrote:

The panels are very very heavy on the two I've taken down and moved.

First one was that heavy we ended up lowering them with an engine
crane and moving them with that. Second one had better access so
could just lower those by hand onto a pallet truck and move them that
way.

Mark S.

When my 30ft x 12ft was delivered, the lad humped everything off the
back of the lorry and 60yds to the back garden all by himself and by
hand. A big lad he was. When he was done I asked was that it for the
day. He said no, he had 6 more to deliver. He said he slept well at
night.

Mike E