Shredding/chipping leylandii

Old February 23rd 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shredding/chipping leylandii

Having grubbed out my hedge, I now have a huge pile of branches to deal
with, probably about 3 skip loads.

Next problem is how to dispose of them.

Options include:

o Big bonfire. Pros- cheap. Cons - no good site handy for a bonfire.

o Skips. Pros - easy. Cons - expensive.

o Hire a chipper (& operator) and disposal of chips in garden. Pros -
plenty of space to use the chippings. Cons - man came out today and did
that sucking through the teeth bit and said that the bushieness & density of
the hedge would probably choke his machine.

o Buy a garden shredder and shred what we can. Pros - relatively cheap and
I end up with a shredder at the end of it. Cons - won't handle the
thicker/bushier stuff and I might end up with a *broken* shredder at the end
of it.

Any other suggestions? Would something like this
(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7218400.htm) be up to the
job (assuming we avoid stuffing anything too thick down its throat)?

Tim

Old February 23rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Tim

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:26:04 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

[...]

Quickest and tidyiest is a _proper_ shredder -
We had 12 x 40ft pines removed just after Christmas -
proper Tree Surgeons came with a unimog-mounted, hydraulically driver
shredder which ate everything from 4" diameter down.

made one heck of a noise - and a large pile of chippings...

Back at the last house I did the 'bonfire' route - possible a bit
unecological - but very satisfying !

Regards
Adrian
Old February 23rd 07, 02:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 23, 12:26 pm, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
o Hire a chipper (& operator) and disposal of chips in garden. Pros -
plenty of space to use the chippings. Cons - man came out today and did
that sucking through the teeth bit and said that the bushieness & density of
the hedge would probably choke his machine.

You spoke to the wrong person. We had South Bucks Tree Surgeons who
came with a huge trailer based shredder that dumped the chippings into
another trailer. Think of a combine harvester throwing the corn out of
the spout. They also had an "angle grinder on a wheelbarrow" stump
grinder to lower the level of the remains so we could cover them with
soil.

MBQ

Old February 23rd 07, 02:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What a waste of good heating fuel! OK, so it's a bit more labour
using the smaller bits but when we fell trees we make firewood down to
2" diameter or even less.

Having used everything down to that size you can shred the rest with a
'lighter' shredder.

--
Chris Green
Old February 23rd 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Chris

(
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7218400.htm) be up to the
job (assuming we avoid stuffing anything too thick down its throat)?

Quickest and tidyiest is a _proper_ shredder -
We had 12 x 40ft pines removed just after Christmas -
proper Tree Surgeons came with a unimog-mounted, hydraulically driver
shredder which ate everything from 4" diameter down.

What a waste of good heating fuel! OK, so it's a bit more labour
using the smaller bits but when we fell trees we make firewood down to
2" diameter or even less.

Having used everything down to that size you can shred the rest with a
'lighter' shredder.

True - but in our case we still have a ginormous pile of 3ft logs
waiting to be converted into fire-sized logs.

Have made friends with a nice man up the road who owns a
petrol-powered log-splitter g

Back in Suffolk I took out a couple of hundred yards of mature (even
geriatric !) leylandii - and decided that (as firewood) they were more
trouble than they were worth. Even after several years drying they
were still full of sticky sap that got everywhere, and they didn't
burn all that well either in our stove.....

Take care !

Adrian
West Cork - Ireland
Old February 23rd 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message

Quickest and tidyiest is a _proper_ shredder -

I suspect I just need to do a bit more phoning around.

We had 12 x 40ft pines removed just after Christmas -
proper Tree Surgeons came with a unimog-mounted, hydraulically driver
shredder which ate everything from 4" diameter down.

I want one! ;-)

Any ball park figures on how much I should expect to pay to hire such a
beast (& operator)?

Cheers!

Tim

Old February 23rd 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Back in Suffolk I took out a couple of hundred yards of mature (even
geriatric !) leylandii - and decided that (as firewood) they were more
trouble than they were worth. Even after several years drying they
were still full of sticky sap that got everywhere, and they didn't
burn all that well either in our stove.....

That's what we're burning and it's pretty good actually. It needs
seasoning well (preferably 12 months) but in that it's very little
different from most wood. It's much better than pine and seems rather
better than aspen. I'm surpised you had difficulty burning it after
'several years', not our experience at all.

--
Chris Green
Old February 23rd 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:19:32 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Back in Suffolk I took out a couple of hundred yards of mature (even
geriatric !) leylandii - and decided that (as firewood) they were more
trouble than they were worth. Even after several years drying they
were still full of sticky sap that got everywhere, and they didn't
burn all that well either in our stove.....

Leylandii didn't burn well? Your stove needed to be replaced.

Leylandii, apply match, stand well back.
Old February 23rd 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Feb, 12:26, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

o Big bonfire. Pros- cheap. Cons - no good site handy for a bonfire.

Cost one of my neighbours his E-type Jag

_Don't_ burn Leylandii unless you know what you're doing, i.e. you've
burned it before and you have adequate space to do it in (several
times more than you think). Leylandii is chock-full of resins and
burns somewhere between ferociously and explosively. _Many_ people get
seriously surprised by how out of control a Leylandii bonfire can get.

Old February 23rd 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!Having grubbed out my hedge, I now have a huge pile of branches to deal
|!with, probably about 3 skip loads.
|!
|!Next problem is how to dispose of them.
|!
|!Options include:
|!
|!o Big bonfire. Pros- cheap. Cons - no good site handy for a bonfire.
|!
|!o Skips. Pros - easy. Cons - expensive.
|!
|!o Hire a chipper (& operator) and disposal of chips in garden. Pros -
|!plenty of space to use the chippings. Cons - man came out today and did
|!that sucking through the teeth bit and said that the bushieness & density of
|!the hedge would probably choke his machine.
|!
|!o Buy a garden shredder and shred what we can. Pros - relatively cheap and
|!I end up with a shredder at the end of it. Cons - won't handle the
|!thicker/bushier stuff and I might end up with a *broken* shredder at the end
|!of it.
|!
|!Any other suggestions? Would something like this
|!(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7218400.htm) be up to the
|!job (assuming we avoid stuffing anything too thick down its throat)?

Our local tip (Domestic Refuse Site), FREE, has a place for green waste,
The would take a Leylandii no problem. Every so often the bring in a
*huge* shredder and haul everything away to compost
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org

shredding Ivy Colbyt Home Repair 1 July 10th 06 10:28 PM
shredding Ivy nhurst Home Repair 0 July 10th 06 08:27 PM
shredding Ivy bill allemann Home Repair 0 July 10th 06 08:26 PM
shredding Ivy trbo20 Home Repair 0 July 10th 06 07:58 PM
How close to my house may I safely plant a Leylandii hedge ? Frank Watson UK diy 14 August 20th 03 12:12 AM