Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default heaters (patio heater?)

I'm spending a lot of time in the garage and I'd like to be able to
heat it whilst I work in there. I was wondering about these quartz
patio heaters which are advertised as "the only heat that doesn't blow
away". Are they any good? I notice they are only rated at about 1.2kW,
whereas a fan heater might be 3kW. Is this because they are more
efficient or would they not warm me as much as a fan heater?

I see they say they must be mounted 2.7 metres high. Is this because
the higher they are the wider area they will cover? For a patio,
that's fine, but who has a 2.7m high garage? Could I mount it lower?

I'm wondering if I need some frost protection in there to keep the odd
tins of pint from freezing and too keep condensation off the tools to
prevent rust. Would a tubular heater on a frost stat do, and if so is
there a formula to calculate what size heater I'd need?

Have you thought of using something like this?
http://tinyurl.com/3y8z55
You'd have to make sure you had good ventilation, of course.

With regard to frost protection, the formula is exactly the same as that
used for calculating normal heating requirements, but the numbers are
different. Decide what temperature you want to maintain under what
conditions - e.g. 5 degC inside when it's -5 degC outside (say) - then work
out the heat losses, taking into account the U value and area of each
external surface (walls, windows, doors, roof, floor). Whatever heater you
put in there needs to be able to replace the heat which is going out. A
greenhouse heater of a few hundres watts may well suffice, but you'll need
to work it out.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" Have you thought of using something like this? http://tinyurl.com/3y8z55
You'd have to make sure you had good ventilation, of course.

With regard to frost protection, the formula is exactly the same as that
used for calculating normal heating requirements, but the numbers are
different. Decide what temperature you want to maintain under what
conditions - e.g. 5 degC inside when it's -5 degC outside (say) - then
work out the heat losses, taking into account the U value and area of each
external surface (walls, windows, doors, roof, floor). Whatever heater you
put in there needs to be able to replace the heat which is going out. A
greenhouse heater of a few hundres watts may well suffice, but you'll need
to work it out.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Radiant heat heaters heat YOU if pointed at you - not too close though, else
you may combust !!

Little point in trying to maintain the whole room above ambient - it would
take a load more heat input to do that
without good insulation.

Nick

heaters (patio heater?) Robbo UK diy 3 February 25th 07 04:46 AM
heaters (patio heater?) John Rumm UK diy 0 February 24th 07 02:21 PM
Patio Heater Gary A. Gorgen Metalworking 3 May 16th 06 03:01 PM
Help with On Demand Water Heaters and Minisplit heater-coolers pjbphd Home Ownership 0 April 3rd 06 02:38 AM
Quartz Patio Heaters Jim Crow UK diy 42 May 13th 05 11:49 PM