Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6mm Cable Insulated Size

Hi all

Just a quick note/question regarding the external dimensions of 6mm T&E.
Our kitchen is a single storey extension onto the original property, so the
original cooker feed had been jointed under a bedroom floor.
As I was splitting the kitchen onto a separate ring and running new power,
lighting and earth cables, I decided to stick a fresh length of 6mm through
for the sake of good form (and also to remove a section slightly damaged by
recent plumbing works).
As I am not "allowed" to do work "in" the kitchen per se, I have run the new
cable as far as the kitchen loft and jointed to the old drop to the existing
isolator for now.
I have left enough spare in the loft so that it can be pulled down to a new
isolator when we finally fix a layout for the room.

So, the question......

The external dimensions over the insulation for the new cable were
significantly different (smaller) to the older cable.
So much so that we ended up checking the cable strands to reassure ourselves
that the new cable was actually 6mm!
This cable is new colours , but was an "off-cut" and therefore didn't come
on a labelled drum.
The labelling on the cable itself (from memory) said something like BASEC
6004 4 2005.
The number 4 in the middle was the concern - 4mm cable?

Anyway, having confirmed the conductor size at 6mm sq, why are the
over-insulation dimensions so much smaller?

Thinner insulation to cut manufacuring costs?
Thinner insulation to allow better heat disipation?
Thinner insulation because the modern materials used are superior?

Anyone got any other ideas?

I would expect that the length of cable removed was about 20 years old.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Anyway, having confirmed the conductor size at 6mm sq, why are the
over-insulation dimensions so much smaller?

Thinner insulation to cut manufacuring costs?
Thinner insulation to allow better heat disipation?
Thinner insulation because the modern materials used are superior?

Anyone got any other ideas?

I would expect that the length of cable removed was about 20 years old.

There seems to have been a re-think about the thickness of insulation
required (which would be mainly for mechanical protection) - the same has
happened to car cable.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

The number 4 in the middle was the concern - 4mm cable?

Pass. The conductors of 6 mm^2 have 7 strands of 1.04 mm dia. (7/1.04).
For 4 mm^2 the stranding is 7/0.85.

Anyway, having confirmed the conductor size at 6mm sq, why are the
over-insulation dimensions so much smaller?

[...]

Anyone got any other ideas?

Permitted tolerance - BS 6004:2000 Table 8 gives the following limits:

CSA Min. overall Max. overall
--- ------------- ------------
4 5.6 x 10.5 mm 7.2 x 13.0 mm
6 6.4 x 12.5 mm 8.0 x 15.0 mm

I would expect that the length of cable removed was about 20 years old.

The 1995 version of the standard has the same sizes. I haven't got any
earlier info, unless you want imperial cable sizes to BS 2004!

--
Andy

Mineral Insulated Copper-Sheathed Cable Graham UK diy 5 October 14th 06 12:52 AM
How to get cable through an insulated cavity Richard Bates UK diy 4 August 30th 06 08:04 PM
Armored Cable Size Jeremy McKnight UK diy 5 March 27th 06 07:47 PM
re cooker cable size fred UK diy 0 March 14th 06 08:25 PM
Cable Size Help Please xavier UK diy 5 October 13th 04 05:43 PM