Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lath & Plaster ceiling

Got up the steps to patch some lifted wallpaper on a ceiling and found that
it had lifted due the ceiling having dropped a bit. I am suspecting that
someone had put weight on the L & P at some time - or the nibs of plaster
have just failed over time.

I am wondering if there is a fix - such as generous squirts of No More Nails
from above and then propping the sagged ceiling back up to the laths - or do
I have to accept it is a lost cause and rip it all down (ugh the though of
the mess in the new bathroom!!) The insulation is that blown in recycled
newspaper stuff which would all need moving.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Got up the steps to patch some lifted wallpaper on a ceiling and found

that
it had lifted due the ceiling having dropped a bit. I am suspecting that
someone had put weight on the L & P at some time - or the nibs of plaster
have just failed over time.

I am wondering if there is a fix - such as generous squirts of No More

Nails
from above and then propping the sagged ceiling back up to the laths - or

do
I have to accept it is a lost cause and rip it all down (ugh the though of
the mess in the new bathroom!!) The insulation is that blown in recycled
newspaper stuff which would all need moving.

John

Just plasterboard over the existing ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Got up the steps to patch some lifted wallpaper on a ceiling and
found that it had lifted due the ceiling having dropped a bit. I am
suspecting that someone had put weight on the L & P at some time - or
the nibs of plaster have just failed over time.

I am wondering if there is a fix - such as generous squirts of No
More Nails from above and then propping the sagged ceiling back up to
the laths - or do I have to accept it is a lost cause and rip it all
down (ugh the though of the mess in the new bathroom!!) The
insulation is that blown in recycled newspaper stuff which would all
need moving.

I'm in the same boat as you so awaiting advice with eager eyes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:31:07 GMT, "George"
mused:

"John" wrote in message
Got up the steps to patch some lifted wallpaper on a ceiling and found

that
it had lifted due the ceiling having dropped a bit. I am suspecting that
someone had put weight on the L & P at some time - or the nibs of plaster
have just failed over time.

I am wondering if there is a fix - such as generous squirts of No More

Nails
from above and then propping the sagged ceiling back up to the laths - or

do
I have to accept it is a lost cause and rip it all down (ugh the though of
the mess in the new bathroom!!) The insulation is that blown in recycled
newspaper stuff which would all need moving.

Just plasterboard over the existing ceiling.

Definitely the cleanest option, probably the preferred option if the
room has just been finished.

I'd always prefer to take the old ceiling down where possible but it
sounds as if it could be a non-starter here.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:28:02 +0000, John wrote:

Got up the steps to patch some lifted wallpaper on a ceiling and found
that it had lifted due the ceiling having dropped a bit. I am suspecting
that someone had put weight on the L & P at some time - or the nibs of
plaster have just failed over time.

I am wondering if there is a fix - such as generous squirts of No More
Nails from above and then propping the sagged ceiling back up to the laths
- or do I have to accept it is a lost cause and rip it all down (ugh the
though of the mess in the new bathroom!!) The insulation is that blown in
recycled newspaper stuff which would all need moving.

================================
Prop the sagging bit from below. Clean the affected area thoroughly (top)
with a vacuum cleaner. Make a sloppy mix of plasterboard bonding
plaster (or 'One coat' plaster) and spread in a layer about 1" thick
working it into the broken nibs. Make sure you wet well the area before
applying the wet mix. This usually works quite well for small areas.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sounds good - or rather what I was hoping to hear. I don't like the idea of
adding a layer of plasterboard as the sagged bit will stress the
plasterboard (won't it?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:41:47 +0000, John wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

===============================
The other posters mean plasterboarding the *whole* ceiling. This is a
standard treatment for a sick lath and plaster ceiling and is a very
satisfactory solution. It won't be stressed by the old ceiling.

You may have to do this if my suggested repair method doesn't cure your
problem. If this becomes necessary you'll be grateful that you don't have
to remove the old stuff which is about as messy a job as you can get.

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:41:47 +0000, John wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

As a temporary fix some years ago, I jacked a sheet of 3/4" plywood
against my kitchen lath & plaster ceiling, and poured liquid plaster
onto it from the raised floorboards above. When set I took down the
acro props and it was as solid as a rock. A year later when the
ceiling was taken down as part of a re-furb, it was the hardest part
to come down !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:41:47 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

Put strapping across the joists ( screwed or nailed through the L+P
ceiling) .Then screw the new plasterboard to the straps. Job done .
If you take down the L+P you will regret starting that .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

As a temporary fix some years ago, I jacked a sheet of 3/4" plywood
against my kitchen lath & plaster ceiling

To each their own perversion. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
k...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

As a temporary fix some years ago, I jacked a sheet of 3/4" plywood
against my kitchen lath & plaster ceiling

To each their own perversion. ;-)

It's all in you mind you dirty b****r

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a temporary fix some years ago, I jacked a sheet of 3/4" plywood
against my kitchen lath & plaster ceiling, and poured liquid plaster
onto it from the raised floorboards above. When set I took down the
acro props and it was as solid as a rock. A year later when the
ceiling was taken down as part of a re-furb, it was the hardest part
to come down !

AWEM

Yes, plaster of paris will set fast and is as solid as a rock..and
bonding plaster is close and can be runny and still set too.