Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat Deterrents

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 12:17 pm, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Get a cat of your own. It will deter others and crap in sombedy else
garden.

A super soaker http://www.hasbro.com/supersoaker/

Also see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1909229.stm

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Always remove the droppings as I believe the smell encourages them to use it
regularily.

Placing thorny cuttings such as holly or pyracantha over the area is
effective.

They don't like getting wet and you can get movement sensor type devices
that go on the end of the hose and give everything that passes a soaking.
Not sure how practical though as the hose pipe would have to be on all the
time and if plastic might burst. Probably also expensive.

Tom cat smells on concrete or paths can be mitigated by watering with a very
dilute Domestos solution (should not be used on soil) and may be effective
at deterring them as they don't like the smell of it.

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-16 12:17:24 +0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot said:

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Yes. Buy a cat.

However keep in mind that while dogs have owners, cats have staff.

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

They are not very effective.

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Not an ultimate deterrant but can be used to make it less
attractive for a cat to take route A vs. route B.

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-16 12:46:51 +0000, "Roger R" said:

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Always remove the droppings as I believe the smell encourages them to use it
regularily.

Placing thorny cuttings such as holly or pyracantha over the area is
effective.

They don't like getting wet and you can get movement sensor type devices
that go on the end of the hose and give everything that passes a soaking.
Not sure how practical though as the hose pipe would have to be on all the
time and if plastic might burst. Probably also expensive.

News for you.... some do and actively seek out and play in water.

Tom cat smells on concrete or paths can be mitigated by watering with a very
dilute Domestos solution (should not be used on soil) and may be effective
at deterring them as they don't like the smell of it.

A very dilute solution of Jeyes is also effective.

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 12:17, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

lion poo

http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/A...eterrents.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

For the sake of those of use who can hear them, please don't bother unless
your garden is very isolated!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

On 2007-02-16, Donwill popple@diddle wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to
prevent
cats fouling their garden.

1 ounce of #9 shot travelling at 800 fps.

--
works well if fatal buts leaves lots of evidence if cat manages to limp
away

Black widow catapult and 13mm ball bearing or pebble does not penetrate so
much more difficult to trace back

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:17:24 -0000, Donwill wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

What'a worked for me is a garden gate, really.
I used to have this problem with 3 out of 4 neighbours having cats (one
has 2 cats). I made sure there were no holes in my fences, all gaps were
boarded up and I got a 6 foot gate to fill the gap between the house and
my garage.
Now I have a clean garden. All the cats are too fat to jump the fence
and have no other ways in. I don't think it's the ultimate deterrent, but
by making it harder to get into my garden, they've taken the lazy way
out and now crap somewhere else. However, I believe that if everyone
around here rasied the heights of their fences so I became the easiest
target they critters would probably learn to pole vault.

Now if I could only keep the herons off my goldfish pond ....

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:02:14 +0000, Peter Lynch wrote:

[...]

===============================
A cat would see them off.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-16, Donwill popple@diddle wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to
prevent
cats fouling their garden.

1 ounce of #9 shot travelling at 800 fps.

--
works well if fatal buts leaves lots of evidence if cat manages to limp
away

Black widow catapult and 13mm ball bearing or pebble does not penetrate so
much more difficult to trace back

Were you like this as a child?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-16 18:02:14 +0000, Peter Lynch said:

Now if I could only keep the herons off my goldfish pond ....

Pete

Heron aid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

Peter Lynch wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:17:24 -0000, Donwill wrote:

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

snip

Don

What'a worked for me is a garden gate, really.
I used to have this problem with 3 out of 4 neighbours having cats (one
has 2 cats). I made sure there were no holes in my fences, all gaps were
boarded up and I got a 6 foot gate to fill the gap between the house and
my garage.
Now I have a clean garden. All the cats are too fat to jump the fence
and have no other ways in. I don't think it's the ultimate deterrent, but
by making it harder to get into my garden, they've taken the lazy way
out and now crap somewhere else. However, I believe that if everyone
around here rasied the heights of their fences so I became the easiest
target they critters would probably learn to pole vault.

Now if I could only keep the herons off my goldfish pond ....

Pete

You need a deterrent. Get a cat.
;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Lynch
writes
What'a worked for me is a garden gate, really.
I used to have this problem with 3 out of 4 neighbours having cats (one
has 2 cats). I made sure there were no holes in my fences, all gaps were
boarded up and I got a 6 foot gate to fill the gap between the house and
my garage.
Now I have a clean garden. All the cats are too fat to jump the fence
and have no other ways in. I don't think it's the ultimate deterrent, but
by making it harder to get into my garden, they've taken the lazy way
out and now crap somewhere else. However, I believe that if everyone
around here rasied the heights of their fences so I became the easiest
target they critters would probably learn to pole vault.

The moggies around here (which seem to be breeding) can easily scale a 6
foot fence, so that is not an option.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:17:24 -0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot
wrote:

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Get a super soaker (filled with water obviously) and wait for the cat.
Once youve hit him a few times he wont come back

a nicely harmless deterrant and can be fun! (and i speak as a cat
fan!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:33:59 +0000, Adrian Simpson wrote:
In article , Peter Lynch
writes
What'a worked for me is a garden gate, really.
I used to have this problem with 3 out of 4 neighbours having cats (one
has 2 cats). I made sure there were no holes in my fences, all gaps were
boarded up and I got a 6 foot gate to fill the gap between the house and
my garage.
Now I have a clean garden. All the cats are too fat to jump the fence
and have no other ways in. I don't think it's the ultimate deterrent, but
by making it harder to get into my garden, they've taken the lazy way
out and now crap somewhere else. However, I believe that if everyone
around here rasied the heights of their fences so I became the easiest
target they critters would probably learn to pole vault.

The moggies around here (which seem to be breeding) can easily scale a 6
foot fence, so that is not an option.

Try feeding them lots. Obviously what goes in, comes out but maybe if
you throw their food into someone else's garden - pref. their owners,
they'll mess there until they fatten up.
(If you've seen "supersize me" ISTR that a diet of burgers reduced the
authors libido as well as porking him up: 2 birds, 1 stone. Or maybe
in this case: 1 cat, 14 pounds, no kittens.)

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
.. in a room with a tea cosy ...... Marlow, England .
.. doesn't try it on (Billy Connolly) .....................................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote in
:

Get a super soaker (filled with water obviously) and wait for the cat.
Once youve hit him a few times he wont come back

a nicely harmless deterrant and can be fun! (and i speak as a cat
fan!)

The trick is learning how to aim off. Aim at the cat, you never score.

Aim off so that it jumps straight into a soaking is tricky but very funny

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Lynch
writes
[...]

Hmm, when I said breeding, maybe I should have said "breeding". We've
had new neighbours recently, and they have several of the darn things.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-16 12:17:24 +0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot said:

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to

prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Yes. Buy a cat.

However keep in mind that while dogs have owners, cats have staff.

They also use you as a Pillow
http://i9.tinypic.com/2ymzi2q.jpg
but its amazing how you become attached to them

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote in ...
On 2007-02-16 12:17:24 +0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot said:

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to

prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Yes. Buy a cat.

However keep in mind that while dogs have owners, cats have staff.

They also use you as a Pillowhttp://i9.tinypic.com/2ymzi2q.jpg
but its amazing how you become attached to them

-

Hi
You have my sympathy, they are dirty filthy brutes, that carry
disease, look at what they eat & catch although someone will probably
say i am wrong

I know some one who kisses her cat, the same cat i watched play with a
mouse last week before starting to eat it.
Then mummy ran into the garden, "Oh pure pussy " , where have you
been, then proceded to kiss it & let it lick her mouth
For petes sake it just eat a mouse!!!

Dont waste money on any contraptions, none work
As regards water spray, they soon forget, hardly worth the bother

I know of no one who has managed to stop them yet & i know a few, Some
tried catapults, even that did not work

Well i do know one who beat them ,he used an airgun, but that is
illegal, but he was past caring

Stayed next door to some pratt the took who them in from Cats
Protection, he had around 12

If you had 12 dogs there would be an uproar, but cat owners are very
easily upset, as you might read

No one dare touch my cat,!!! again of course they dont mess in their
owners garden, do they , but always someone elses

If they did mess their own you might here a different story & not
"Poor pussy, who is shouting at you & throwing stones"

It would be them reaching for the gun, a water one of course

Wally by name , but not by nature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 16, 12:17 pm, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from

about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Get a cat of your own. It will deter others and crap in sombedy else
garden.

LOL!!!!

I have heard that if you live near a zoo, you can get lion, tiger etc.
droppings to put in your garden to deter cats - but heaven knows what these
would make your garden smell like! Probably worse that the ordinary cats.

A super soaker http://www.hasbro.com/supersoaker/

Also see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1909229.stm

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"wally" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 16, 11:16 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Andy Hall wrote in
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to

prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

Yes. Buy a cat.

However keep in mind that while dogs have owners, cats have staff.

They also use you as a Pillowhttp://i9.tinypic.com/2ymzi2q.jpg
but its amazing how you become attached to them

-

Hi
You have my sympathy, they are dirty filthy brutes,

I know some one who kisses her cat, the same cat i watched play with a
mouse last week before starting to eat it.
Then mummy ran into the garden, "Oh pure pussy " , where have you
been, then proceded to kiss it & let it lick her mouth

Wally by name , but not by nature

I bet you're Welch and keep sheep

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent
cats fouling their garden.
Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about
£16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these
devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of
these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Lots of little sticks stuck in the soil every 6" so its difficult for
them t walk between them. Just use garden trimmings and pull up any
that start to grow. Ot invite the cat in, feed them and have a nice
time. Seems more sensible.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
And what had mummy just been eating - avian-flu twizzlers, or daddy's knob?

Don't be silly. Turkey Snifflers.

Anyway, mouse-breath is no worse than whiskas-breath.

Both foul.
Owain

Not commenting any further, last time I suggested a method to combat cat
infestation which was more humane than spraying dangerous chemicals at
the animals, I got death threats.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

Donwill wrote:
Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to
prevent cats fouling their garden.

We bough one of the PIR-activated hose squirters that was suggested here
when the subject came up last time. It's very entertaining but so effective
that we now need something to attract cats into the garden so we can enjoy
watching them get squirted.
--
LSR

Cat Scarer O.T. John McLean UK diy 12 November 27th 06 01:15 PM
cat 5 cat 3 electric for desktop dwolf Woodworking 1 September 20th 06 01:52 AM
CAT 5e :::Jerry:::: UK diy 4 April 30th 05 09:11 PM
Cat 5 / Cat 6 across lawn in soil ? nick smith UK diy 37 October 29th 04 05:37 PM
Mouse deterrents? FurPaw Home Repair 8 October 8th 04 12:06 AM