Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stud detectors

Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Thx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

I've got two stud detectors and I find them somewhat flakey on occassion.
Stanley is a decent brand, so maybe it's better.

Sometimes you can find the studs by looking at the skirting board. If its
fixed at regular intervals it's likely the studs are in the same place.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Or a thermal imaging camera.

http://www.ehsi.com/IR_thermography.htm

--

Graham
Profound_observation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Feb, 16:52, "The Medway Handyman"
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...nley-Intellise...

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

I've got two stud detectors and I find them somewhat flakey on occassion.
Stanley is a decent brand, so maybe it's better.

Sometimes you can find the studs by looking at the skirting board. If its
fixed at regular intervals it's likely the studs are in the same place.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

the word stud applied to what is a piece of wood is akward, as is the
use of a stud detection tool, which normaly have a metal detector. I
have examined a few and they will not say on the packaging wether they
detect a wooden baton or the nails that hold plasterboard and laffin
plaster wood to the wood. If the wood that is used to nail
plasterboard to is called stud, then it would require more than a
metal detector to find it. If these detectors only find the nails and
it is the nails which are detected, then the detectors should be
called metel detectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Mine switches from one to the other but I've never been able to tell the
difference

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Are the cheap end versions any good ?

As a general rule, no. However you may get lucky, some of them may be
better than useless.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

For ones that definitely will work try the Zircon range. They are not
that cheap but can usually reliably detect a number of things.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Magnets can be handy in some cases anyway. Even the best stud detectors
will fail with foil backed plasterboard (or with foil covered insulation
behind s the plasterboard)

(rswww.com do a good range of Zircon scanners)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

explained :
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Thx

What is wrong with the tried and tested method of tapping on the wall
with a finger tip and listing to the change in the sound it produces?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Or a thermal imaging camera.

http://www.ehsi.com/IR_thermography.htm

It's cheaper to hire someone to tear the wall down, and put it back up
taking precise notes of where the studs are, then hang the shelves for
you.

Pity really, as these would be so handy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 9:50 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

What is wrong with the tried and tested method of tapping on the wall
with a finger tip and listing to the change in the sound it produces?

I tend to do that as a check when using my cheap Draper metal/voltage
detector to find the nails. When both methods agree, I'm confident
I've found a stud.
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...tellisensor-St
ud-Sensor-0-77-110

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Thx

They fail when the plasterboard is foil backed. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Feb, 16:34, wrote:
Are the cheap end versions any good ?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...nley-Intellise...

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard
(1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics
etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Thx

Don't know abouit cheap ones ... but after a lot of Googling around I
bough a ZIRCON Triscanner PRO SL and it works exactly as it's
supposed to.
http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/products...t/triscanr.htm

Cheap enough and does the job