Distance between Stairs and room above

Old February 6th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Distance between Stairs and room above

The distance between my stairs and the room above is very low - only
69" (1.75m). I am constantly hitting my head on it. I am trying to
increase this height by taking more space out of the room above the
stairs. What is the recommended distance between the stairs and the
room above it?

Thanks

Robert

Old February 6th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 12:55, wrote:
The distance between my stairs and the room above is very low - only
69" (1.75m). I am constantly hitting my head on it. I am trying to
increase this height by taking more space out of the room above the
stairs. What is the recommended distance between the stairs and the
room above it?

Thanks

Robert

Building Regulations Part K (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/
br/BR_PDF_ADK_1998.pdf) defines this as 2m. Section 1.10 gives more
information. I have the same problem and am tackling it by replacing
the stairs (as part of a complete refurbishment) such that the stairs
start a bit later so giving more headroom. I was told by my BCO that I
could put in stairs that do not meet the regulations _provided_ that
for each requirement they are no worse than what was there before.

Andrew

Old February 6th 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the reply - that means I will need to increase the head
height by 10". I think I will cut out some more of the room above the
stairs. I think I will need to cut some of the framework of the floor
to get enought room.

Thanks again.

Robert

Old February 6th 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 14:52, wrote:
Thanks for the reply - that means I will need to increase the head
height by 10". I think I will cut out some more of the room above the
stairs. I think I will need to cut some of the framework of the floor
to get enought room.

Thanks again.

Robert

The ceiling over my stairs slopes from 7" joist to zero thickness. I
assume the joist supporting the wall of the room above is higher than
normal such that it is entirely inside the wall, if you see what I
mean. I don't know if this idea would help you.
Cheers,
Simon.

Old February 6th 07, 04:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 6 Feb, 12:55, wrote:
[...]

Er...that depends..on the BCO. Some I have met will say that if it is a
reinstallation, not a repair, you must meet regulations.

In any case its a very sensible regulation..hitting heads and falling
down stairs kills more people than electrical shock.

The way I managed mine was by very careful planning and almost a spiral
stairwell in the building center. You can get away - all within regs -
with unbelievably steep stairs if they are not in straight runs. That
allowed me to use the full headroom into a 'half storey' and get my
stairs legit.