Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identifying Wooden Studs on Foil Backed Plasterboard wall

I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
getting old and crotchity),

The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.

Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb, 12:43, "Merryterry" wrote:

I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.

Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Tap it, its firm on the studs and hollow between. No need for a stud
detector.

Isnt it disapointing when you point them at yourself and they dont go
off?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:
I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
getting old and crotchity),

The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.

Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

I asked the same question about a year ago, and was advised to locate
the screw (or nail) heads by running a magnet over the wall.

Bashed open some old headphones to get two small rare-earth magnets, did
as advised, and it worked a treat.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:
I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
getting old and crotchity),

The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.

Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Obtain some strong thin magnets, some 20mm wide, with the poles on the ends.

Hold lightly in the hand, so they are free to move, but held 1mm above
the face of the plasterboard.

Then 'scribble' over the surface of the plasterboard, the magnet bangs
against the surface when you are over a nail.

http://www.mauve.plus.com/walls/dsc01458.jpg shows after I did this all
over the wall, cut the plasterboard top and bottom, and dremeled out
circles round the nails (quite fast actually, and the sheets are
suitbale for re-use doing the garage).

However, in your case, once you find several nails, you can draw a line
and find the probable centres of the studs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:

The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.

Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Look for the screws/nails instead using a metal detector or a magnet.
The foil, may fool the metal detector, but is unlikely to catch out the
magnet! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
Merryterry wrote:
[...]

similar to:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-NEODYMIUM-R...item7582527027

A 10mm wide magnet will (more or less) find nails easily 10mm deep.
20mm, 20mm deep, and so on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
similar to:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-NEODYMIUM-R...item7582527027

A 10mm wide magnet will (more or less) find nails easily 10mm deep.
20mm, 20mm deep, and so on.

What a great idea! Axminster sell them as well
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...file=1&jump=12

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb, 13:54, Owain wrote:
Merryterry wrote:

I am thinking of putting another handrail up my staircase, (we are
getting old and crotchity),
The lower half of the staircase is ok to fix on as it is on blockwork
but the top section, (1st Floor level) is a studded foil backed
plasterboard wall. I would not trust hollow fixings in the
plasterboard for such a potential load but I cannot identify the studs
because the board is foil backed and my stud detector just bleeps
everywhere.
Any ideas other than making trial holes everywhere?

Instead of using handrail-on-brackets, use the handrail profile that
fixes straight to the wall. Then you can make lots of trial holes along
the line of the handrail and they'll be covered when the handrail goes
on. You also won't have to worry about brackets being regularly spaced
for appearance's sake.

Owain

IME those dont give nearly as good grip in use, as you cant get your
hand round it, but its a good backup option if other approaches are
problematic.

NT