Clutch adjustment on Renault espace?

Old January 31st 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch adjustment on Renault espace?

The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess). I
thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Dave
Old January 31st 07, 11:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess).

That is usually the sign of badly worn clutch centre plate friction linings.
If the clutch slips, with the car in top gear and the handbrake firmly on;
this will confirm it. If you definitely have a good handbrake, this test
should stall the engine. It may already be too late; as if the centre plate
is not renewed in good time, its lining rivets will score the clutch
pressure plate. Definitely, if the rivets are made of brass or copper; and
possibly, if they are made of aluminium.

I thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Generally speaking, hydraulic clutch linkages have no adjustment. A few have
an adjustment; but this carried out when the vehicle is new; and if it
hasn't been interfered with, can be ignored.

Sylvain.

Dave

Old February 1st 07, 01:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NoSpam wrote:
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess). I
thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Only to set the initial clearance between pedal and piston. After that the
slave cylinder self adjusts.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 1st 07, 02:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NoSpam wrote:
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess). I
thought there was an adjuster somewhere but it's hydraulic. Is there
some way to adjust the master cylinder linkage?

Only to set the initial clearance between pedal and piston. After that the
slave cylinder self adjusts.

Yes..shortly your clutch will start slipping in top gear..that wears the
last bit out VERY quickly.

Old February 1st 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch adjustment on Renault espace? Important omission.

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"NoSpam" wrote in message
The clutch pedal bite point is rather high (tired clutch I guess).

That is usually the sign of badly worn clutch centre plate friction
linings. If the clutch slips, with the car in top gear and the handbrake
firmly on; this will confirm it. If you definitely have a good handbrake,
this test should stall the engine. It may already be too late; as if the
centre plate is not renewed in good time, its lining rivets will score the
clutch pressure plate. Definitely, if the rivets are made of brass or
copper; and possibly, if they are made of aluminium.

I should have added that if you fail to replace your clutch centre plate in
good time, it will probably also score (damage) the flywheel surface (this
will require a service exchange, or new flywheel assembly)

Sylvain.

Old February 1st 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

Now there's a cheery thought! Fortunately there's no slippage at the
moment. The clutch was changed at 30k because of a manufacturing fault
and since then the car's done about 70k miles; it should be good for a
bit longer yet.
I thought I'd been told that there was an adjustment at the
pedal-cylinder linkage or at the slave cylinder, but all I can see is a
pedal stop which limits the height of the pedal.

Dave
Old February 1st 07, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

An awful lot depends on how the car is driven. Cars driven by people who
have changed clutches once themselves have clutches that last forever.

Clutches can be toast in a few days if someone can't really do a proper
hill start, or rides the clutch with the left foot.

Town driving really takes it out of them too.

Dave

Old February 1st 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
"NoSpam" wrote in message

a lot snipped

Generally speaking, hydraulic clutch linkages have no adjustment. A few
have an adjustment; but this carried out when the vehicle is new; and if
it hasn't been interfered with, can be ignored.

Sylvain.

Now there's a cheery thought! Fortunately there's no slippage at the
moment. The clutch was changed at 30k because of a manufacturing fault and
since then the car's done about 70k miles; it should be good for a bit
longer yet.

I thought I'd been told that there was an adjustment at the pedal-cylinder
linkage or at the slave cylinder,

but all I can see is a pedal stop which limits the height of the pedal.

Yes, it's important that the clutch is not "overstroked". The old Austin
Mini had an adjustable stop for that purpose; once set, it should not
require to be touched again.

Sylvain.

Dave

Old February 1st 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
"NoSpam" wrote in message

snip

An awful lot depends on how the car is driven. Cars driven by people who
have changed clutches once themselves have clutches that last forever.

Clutches can be toast in a few days if someone can't really do a proper
hill start, or rides the clutch with the left foot.

Town driving really takes it out of them too.

How very true. I used to know a driver (a chauffeur) whose clutch needed
renewing at less than 5,000 miles. He just couldn't get used to the new (at
the time) _diaphragm_ clutch. Its "take-up" was far less progressive than
the coil spring clutch that it replaced.

Sylvain.

Dave