Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

Default "fitting guttering"

I was surprised to find no mention of this subject in
alt.building.construction or free.uk.diy.home and nothing detailing
how to go about it in uk.d-i-y.

I am about to put some up on a rather large building with the
downspouts at the corners. I was wondering what would look the best
just to put the brackets up and start fitting or to mark out where all
the lengths are going to end in order to get some sort of symmetry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

"Look best"? Call the seamless guttering people and let them do it. It'll
be cheaper in the long run especially if you value your time at more than $5
an hour.

--
Steve Barker

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...
I was surprised to find no mention of this subject in
alt.building.construction or free.uk.diy.home and nothing detailing
how to go about it in uk.d-i-y.

I am about to put some up on a rather large building with the
downspouts at the corners. I was wondering what would look the best
just to put the brackets up and start fitting or to mark out where all
the lengths are going to end in order to get some sort of symmetry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

Steve Barker wrote:

"Look best"? Call the seamless guttering people and let them do it. It'll
be cheaper in the long run especially if you value your time at more than $5
an hour.

I'm getting considerably more than that for my trouble. What is the
minimum wage across the pond these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

All I meant was that by the time you research, procure, figure out, and
install, you will have spent countless hours and they could have your
SEAMLESS guttering done by then.

To answer your question, the federal minimum is $5.15. Many of the states
however, have higher minimums.
--
Steve Barker

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Barker wrote:

"Look best"? Call the seamless guttering people and let them do it.
It'll
be cheaper in the long run especially if you value your time at more than
$5
an hour.

I'm getting considerably more than that for my trouble. What is the
minimum wage across the pond these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

Steve Barker wrote:
All I meant was that by the time you research, procure, figure out,
and install, you will have spent countless hours and they could have
your SEAMLESS guttering done by then.

To answer your question, the federal minimum is $5.15. Many of the
states however, have higher minimums.

£2.60 per hour...you'd be lucky if you could get someone to sweep up for
that these days....any partially skilled person commands (in bucks, not
quids) at least $15 per hour...a tradesman will get at least $30 per hour
working in the UK (£15) and twice that in the better paid areas/jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

Phil L wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
All I meant was that by the time you research, procure, figure out,
and install, you will have spent countless hours and they could have
your SEAMLESS guttering done by then.

To answer your question, the federal minimum is $5.15. Many of the
states however, have higher minimums.

£2.60 per hour...you'd be lucky if you could get someone to sweep up for
that these days....any partially skilled person commands (in bucks, not
quids) at least $15 per hour...a tradesman will get at least $30 per hour
working in the UK (£15) and twice that in the better paid areas/jobs.

2.60 per hour isn't too bad when you consider they all eat a hearty
breakfast and don't seem more troubled about crime than we are. Fuel
is relatively cheap over there and taxes must work to keep things in a
stable state.

I was just interested in trade values and such but really I wanted to
open the original subject up for discussion as it doesn't seem to be
covered very well. There are obvious sites explaining the methods such
as B&Q's help pages.

Browsing a few of them they all give a different reading for the
"fall". The primary thing is to get the brackets under the tiles
without struggling. There should be enough of an overhang to allow a
drop before the water hits the channel. Besides which, forcing the
highest bracket up too close might mean the top screw in it is closer
to the edge of the timber than it needs to be.

In other words putting the guttering on level might be OK if there is
enough support to prevent pooling. The bulk of the work was done in
selecting the right width for the fascia boards and enough overhang
for the tiles.

Oh, yes; and that with rubber inserts in the joints you aught to use a
silicon lubricant. But you all knew that didn't you?

I certainly didn't want to get into politics. Our country (the UK) is
very precariously balanced at the moment and it would not take a great
deal for it to slide way out of kilter once the housing market pours
away. And the sluice gates are already open.

Not only that but the Prime Minister is a moron's moron in that he is
a glove puppet to a chimp.

Well, I shall be back at work tomorrow putting el cheapo half round
up, on a grossly overpriced shed in a cold neck of the woods. Can't
say I am looking forward to it. But the money is as good as I have
earned in a long while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.building.construction,free.uk.diy.home

My point was that it will take you 6 times longer than the pros to figure it
out and do it. And so, the reference to the $5 an hour was just an
arbitrary number meaning it will be cheaper in the long run to have it done.

--
Steve Barker

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Steve Barker wrote:
All I meant was that by the time you research, procure, figure out,
and install, you will have spent countless hours and they could have
your SEAMLESS guttering done by then.

To answer your question, the federal minimum is $5.15. Many of the
states however, have higher minimums.

£2.60 per hour...you'd be lucky if you could get someone to sweep up for
that these days....any partially skilled person commands (in bucks, not
quids) at least $15 per hour...a tradesman will get at least $30 per hour
working in the UK (£15) and twice that in the better paid areas/jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 11:41, "Peter" wrote:
Besides, if you have to ask how to 'hang' guttering you shouldn't be
charging for it.

Precisely and what is even more to the point any of the DIY manuals
show how to do it.

If I was getting paid to do a job, I would swallow hard before coming
here and asking how to do it.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

2.60 per hour isn't too bad when you consider they all eat a hearty
breakfast and don't seem more troubled about crime than we are. Fuel
is relatively cheap over there and taxes must work to keep things in a
stable state.

I was just interested in trade values and such but really I wanted to
open the original subject up for discussion as it doesn't seem to be
covered very well. There are obvious sites explaining the methods such
as B&Q's help pages.

Browsing a few of them they all give a different reading for the
"fall". The primary thing is to get the brackets under the tiles
without struggling. There should be enough of an overhang to allow a
drop before the water hits the channel. Besides which, forcing the
highest bracket up too close might mean the top screw in it is closer
to the edge of the timber than it needs to be.

What you need to do for each elevation is screw the outlet into place,
obviously at the lowest point (without it looking ridiculous)...you
mentioned that these were to be at the corners? - then tie a stringline to
it, so that the string is coming up through the outlet and along the fascia
to the opposite end of the elvation where you fit your first bracket, as
high up as it will go (touching the underside of the tiles.), you ties the
string (fairly tightly) to this end bracket, then use a 1m spacer, any old
piece of timber will do, and affix a bracket all the way along, pushing them
upwards so that they touch the underside of the string, but not lifting it
up.

In other words putting the guttering on level might be OK if there is
enough support to prevent pooling. The bulk of the work was done in
selecting the right width for the fascia boards and enough overhang
for the tiles.

Level is fine provided it's impossible to get a fall, don't forget, this
time next year there will be half a wheelbarrow of dead leaves and bird****
in the bottom of it too.

Oh, yes; and that with rubber inserts in the joints you aught to use a
silicon lubricant. But you all knew that didn't you?

Osma plastics have pre lubed seals.

on that we can agree, the guy's a 2@ of the highest order.

Well, I shall be back at work tomorrow putting el cheapo half round
up, on a grossly overpriced shed in a cold neck of the woods. Can't
say I am looking forward to it. But the money is as good as I have
earned in a long while.

NG's and FU's trimmed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 1 Feb, 11:41, "Peter" wrote:
Besides, if you have to ask how to 'hang' guttering you shouldn't be
charging for it.

Precisely and what is even more to the point any of the DIY manuals
show how to do it.

If I was getting paid to do a job, I would swallow hard before coming
here and asking how to do it.

I had the day off and was curious to see what the newsgroups had to
say on the subject. I was surprised to find so little. So you are
quite right. If I had needed advice, I should have been in trouble
coming here for it.

It was interesting to see what advice I was actually given. Not least
from the sanctimonious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 20:33, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 1 Feb, 11:41, "Peter" wrote:
Besides, if you have to ask how to 'hang' guttering you shouldn't be
charging for it.

Precisely and what is even more to the point any of the DIY manuals
show how to do it.

If I was getting paid to do a job, I would swallow hard before coming
here and asking how to do it.

I had the day off and was curious to see what the newsgroups had to
say on the subject. I was surprised to find so little. So you are
quite right. If I had needed advice, I should have been in trouble
coming here for it.

It was interesting to see what advice I was actually given. Not least
from the sanctimonious.

Sanctimonious ? - well at least I don't have the cheek to take a paid
job for something I don't know how to do, and then go and ask the
amateurs how to do it. That's hypocrisy.

As far as advice is concerned form this NG, it is second to none if
you treat the contributors with the respect they deserve.

Rob