Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap toilet seat revisited

It turns out that it was made not from plastic but from MDF!
£22.49 (reduced from £29.99) for an MDF toilet seat???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:09:57 +0000, Hooch wrote:

It turns out that it was made not from plastic but from MDF!
£22.49 (reduced from £29.99) for an MDF toilet seat???

Bog seats seem to have doubled in price over the last year. At least
the shed ones have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hooch" wrote in message
It turns out that it was made not from plastic but from MDF!
£22.49 (reduced from £29.99) for an MDF toilet seat???

I was that man. Bought one Sunday and fitted it. I thought it had the
solidity and feel of the wood ones without the cheap wood look and dodgy
varnish (the MDF ones are "high gloss" finish). I wouldn't have bought one
at £30 but took a deep breath and paid the £22.50

As regards the OP, the range of adjustment vis-a-vis bringing the seat
forward in modern hinges is large as you can put the vertical threaded pin
in off-centre. The MDF one was the same thickness (or more) than the old
wood one (which wouldn't stay up and had gone manky). I was able to fit it
with off centre pins such that this one did stay up.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:39:42 GMT, EricP
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:09:57 +0000, Hooch wrote:

It turns out that it was made not from plastic but from MDF!
£22.49 (reduced from £29.99) for an MDF toilet seat???

Bog seats seem to have doubled in price over the last year. At least
the shed ones have.

The first bog seat (which was chipped) went back to H******e.

The second one wouldn't sit right on the bog - it was resting on only
one of the four supports! I think the hinges were off-centre or
something. That went back too.

The third one is much better, although it only rests on the two front
supports - I assume because I had to turn the hinge through 180
degrees to get the right position. Turd time lucky!

Cheap and nasty toilet seat Hooch UK diy 9 January 21st 07 01:52 PM
Rialto Toilet Seat Alan Home Repair 4 January 16th 07 02:15 PM
Fitting toilet seat R D S UK diy 13 November 1st 06 09:17 PM
cracked toilet seat shederr Home Repair 2 May 5th 06 12:02 PM
Getting toilet seat off? souls UK diy 19 October 13th 05 01:50 PM