Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floating floor on concrete - how much ripple?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I levelled mine first, and even so, wish I had levelled it more..

I would honestly recommend you get some levelling compound, and trowel
the while thing as flat as you can..6mm is far too much - 1-2mm over a
meter is better, and no more than 6mm over the whole floor.

Lay battens over the whole room and mark the high pints and draw
circles
round the hollows with a felt tip pen. Then mix up the compound after
PVA/ing the lot, and use battens from the high points to scrape the
compound level, and float smooth it.

Then when set, do it all over again.

THEN when the floor goes down - which is pretty quick - you will be
rewarded by a total lack of flexure.

Thanks very much for that advice.

I am now paying a lot more attention to the levelling before laying the
boards... which are becoming better and better acclimatised as a result
:-)

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
[...]

I think this will pay. I didn't and there are places where I know I am
going uphill a bit..and places where its springier than other places
(over a hollow).

aying te floor was a cinch..spend the time on prep first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
[...]

I think we've completed that phase now, and yes, it was worth taking the
extra time.

Someone else has agreed to unpack the boards and arrange the random
lengths to her own aesthetic satisfaction... and that too could save a
lot of trouble later on.

--
Ian White