GB

Default Connecting imperial and metric pipes

I have some old central heating to upgrade. Some of the pipework is probably
imperial. Can somebody kindly confirm that connections can be as follows:

Half-inch to 15mm : use an ordinary 15 mm compression fitting.

Three-quarter-inch to 22 mm : Use an odinary compression fitting but swap
the olive to a special one. (BES part no. 9055 on page 142)

Am I right in thinking that this is fine for gas as well as water?

Am I right in thinking that I cannot use solder fittings, even for
half-inch?

BES have a rather expensive part (no 7826 on page 141) specifically for
joining three-quarter inch to 22 mm. Should I be using this?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

David W.E. Roberts

"GB" wrote in message
I have some old central heating to upgrade. Some of the pipework is

probably
imperial. Can somebody kindly confirm that connections can be as follows:

Half-inch to 15mm : use an ordinary 15 mm compression fitting.

Three-quarter-inch to 22 mm : Use an odinary compression fitting but swap
the olive to a special one. (BES part no. 9055 on page 142)

Am I right in thinking that this is fine for gas as well as water?

Am I right in thinking that I cannot use solder fittings, even for
half-inch?

BES have a rather expensive part (no 7826 on page 141) specifically for
joining three-quarter inch to 22 mm. Should I be using this?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Geoff,

unless you are a registered Corgi gas fitter (which I doubt, or you wouldn't
be asking the questions) you should not be even considering touching gas
pipes.

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

With regard to the water pipes, any decent plumbers merchant will carry a
variety of conversion fittings.
These can be compression or solder.
You can probably get away with 1/2" to 15mm compression and 3/4" to 22mm
compression (as you say, a conversion olive is a good idea).

I leave others to answer the BES specific questions :-)

HTH
Dave R

Lee Blaver

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Three-quarter-inch to 22 mm : Use an odinary compression fitting but swap
the olive to a special one. (BES part no. 9055 on page 142)

Am I right in thinking that this is fine for gas as well as water?

unless you are a registered Corgi gas fitter (which I doubt, or you wouldn't
be asking the questions) you should not be even considering touching gas
pipes.

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

HWGA :-)

However, do make certain that any gas fittings you use are the right
ones for the job.
The local plumbers merchant tried to palm me off with a 3/4" to 22mm
adapter that was totally unsuitable for gas, even though he claimed it
was correct...

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Bob Eager

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:18:34 UTC, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

(all together)

Oh, no it doesn't!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

(all together)

Oh, no it doesn't!

C'mon kids ...

Oh yes it does.

I think that as the law stands now, you have to be CORGI registered to
work on "Gas carrying parts"
--
geoff

Only if carrying out the work as a trader do you need to be CORGI reg -
otherwise competent DIYers have no restrictions - but traders would like us
to think there are. I invite any correction with a link to the appropriate
regulations.
In Australia DIYers are forbiden to work on gas installations by law.

Steve

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

******** !

PoP

On 13 Sep 2003 15:47:52 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

(all together)

Oh, no it doesn't!

Actually I'm not sure if the law has been changed recently or not, if
you read the first paragraph of the CORGI section on the deputy prime
ministers page below it definitely says that it is a legal requirement
for businesses and self-employed people working on gas fittings or
appliances:

http://tinyurl.com/n9kj

The weasel words appear to leave the door open for non-businesses and
non-self-employed people (e.g. homeowners) to do their own thing. Slip
me a fiver guv and I'll connect your gas cooker.....

BUT, don't forget that a fairly recent change has come into play when
a house changes ownership. It is now mandatory (I think....) for the
buyers solicitor to send the sellers solicitor a standard form listing
lots of questions about the property, and you as the seller get the
privilege of signing your life away on those questions. I can't
remember the details now, but I suspect that conveyancing malarky
might want to know about any material changes which may have taken
place on the property with respect to gas fitting. Adding 2+2 gives
the usual 4, where the buyers solicitor may well ask for a certificate
covering any such work, and homeowners aren't allowed to write such
certificates.

Labour governments, usual red tape and useless legislation.

PoP

GB

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Dave

I reckon I'm competent, which is all that is required as I am not being paid
for this work. I have some technical qualifications to back that up.

However, it's a while since I've done any serious plumbing work, and hence
my rather naive questions. For my own peace of mind, I am having the work
checked over and the new boiler commissioned by a Corgi-registered fitter.

Thanks very much for the advice about the fittings, which is really helpful.

With regard to the water pipes, any decent plumbers merchant will carry a
variety of conversion fittings.
These can be compression or solder.
You can probably get away with 1/2" to 15mm compression and 3/4" to 22mm
compression (as you say, a conversion olive is a good idea).

I leave others to answer the BES specific questions :-)

HTH
Dave R

Bob Eager

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:49:17 UTC, geoff wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

(all together)

Oh, no it doesn't!

C'mon kids ...

Oh yes it does.

Oh no it doesn't. Really.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

geoff

In message , "-0-"
writes

I think that as the law stands now, you have to be CORGI registered to
work on "Gas carrying parts"
--
geoff

Only if carrying out the work as a trader do you need to be CORGI reg -
otherwise competent DIYers have no restrictions - but traders would like us
to think there are. I invite any correction with a link to the appropriate
regulations.
In Australia DIYers are forbiden to work on gas installations by law.

You can work on your own gas appliance at your own risk of your
definition of "competence" on non gas carrying parts

To work on a gas appliance for financial gain, you need to be CORGI
registered.

I think that what I posted above is now also true

I shall phone CORGI on Monday and ask them directly whether it is law or
"CORGI Law" and get this sorted out once and for all
--
geoff

geoff

In message , Steve
writes
GB wrote:
I am having the work checked over and the new boiler commissioned by
a Corgi-registered fitter.

Oh don't do THAT - find someone competent.

And therein, as they say, lies the rub.
--
geoff
Rick Dipper

For 15mm, you can use a solder fitting, it can be a tight fit onto the 1/2 inch
For 22mm, you can do it, but its loose on the 3/4 inch, so its a bit tricky.

The main problem is how dirty the old pie is, can you get it clean enough ?

I use compression for 15mm - 1/2, and try to avoid old 3/4 by ripping it out.

Rick

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:21:42 +0100, "GB" wrote:
I have some old central heating to upgrade. Some of the pipework is probably
imperial. Can somebody kindly confirm that connections can be as follows:

Half-inch to 15mm : use an ordinary 15 mm compression fitting.

Three-quarter-inch to 22 mm : Use an odinary compression fitting but swap
the olive to a special one. (BES part no. 9055 on page 142)

Am I right in thinking that this is fine for gas as well as water?

Am I right in thinking that I cannot use solder fittings, even for
half-inch?

BES have a rather expensive part (no 7826 on page 141) specifically for
joining three-quarter inch to 22 mm. Should I be using this?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:
The main problem is how dirty the old pie is, can you get it clean
enough ?

Use an aggressive flux - like Everflux. For an experiment I tried it on a
bit of green old pipe, that had been in a damp cellar for years, without
cleaning it. Worked a treat. When I dismantled the joint it was perfectly
tinned. I still clean things, but don't worry quite so much. ;-)
Just remember to clean the outside of the pipe with a damp cloth
afterwards. And try not to get it on your skin.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lee Blaver

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:

The main problem is how dirty the old pie is, can you get it clean
enough ?

Use an aggressive flux - like Everflux.

Isn't aggresive flux deprecated for gas work?
Or am I mistaken yet again... :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
GB wrote:
FWIW, only solder fittings may be used for jointing gas pipes. Er,
copper ones, that is.

Dave - are you sure about that? I obviously prefer solder fittings
anyway, but I cannot understand why there are loads of gas fittings
around with compression joints if these cannot be used?

I thought the requirement was to use solder fittings where the joints
are hidden?

That could be it, as I'm not a gas fitter. But surely most gas pipes are
hidden apart from where they emerge to connect with an appliance?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

geoff

In message , Huge
writes
geoff writes:
In message , "-0-"
writes

You can work on your own gas appliance at your own risk of your
definition of "competence" on non gas carrying parts

To work on a gas appliance for financial gain, you need to be CORGI
registered.

I think that what I posted above is now also true

I shall phone CORGI on Monday and ask them directly whether it is law or
"CORGI Law" and get this sorted out once and for all

No need. It's been "sorted out once and for all" here on numerous occasions.

You're wrong, BTW.

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them
--
geoff
John Stumbles

"GB" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
GB wrote:
Am I right in thinking that I cannot use solder fittings, even for
half-inch?

No - they are available although you might have to search.

FWIW, only solder fittings may be used for jointing gas pipes. Er,

copper
ones, that is.

Dave - are you sure about that? I obviously prefer solder fittings anyway,
but I cannot understand why there are loads of gas fittings around with
compression joints if these cannot be used?

I thought the requirement was to use solder fittings where the joints are
hidden?

Yup, compression is OK as long as the joint is accessible.
I'm pretty sure it also says you should keep joints to a minimum.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Bob Eager

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:12:30 UTC, geoff wrote:

I shall phone CORGI on Monday and ask them directly whether it is law or
"CORGI Law" and get this sorted out once and for all

No need. It's been "sorted out once and for all" here on numerous occasions.

You're wrong, BTW.

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them

Assuming they tell you the truth....it's hardly in their members'
interests, is it?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

tim

"PoP" wrote in message
On 13 Sep 2003 15:47:52 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

BUT, don't forget that a fairly recent change has come into play when
a house changes ownership. It is now mandatory (I think....) for the
buyers solicitor to send the sellers solicitor a standard form listing
lots of questions about the property, and you as the seller get the
privilege of signing your life away on those questions. I can't
remember the details now, but I suspect that conveyancing malarky
might want to know about any material changes which may have taken
place on the property with respect to gas fitting.

having just filled in this form I don't recal a single question wrt work
on any gas fitting.

Lots of question on DG windows though

Adding 2+2 gives
the usual 4, where the buyers solicitor may well ask for a certificate
covering any such work, and homeowners aren't allowed to write such
certificates.

Tim

Steve

geoff wrote:

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them

CORGI are NOT the final arbiters in this - for the "Horse's mouth" you
should get an official statement from the HSE. CORGI are ONLY THERE to
protect their members' interests.

Steve

Ed Sirett

wrote:

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

(all together)

Oh, no it doesn't!

The full details are below.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
GB wrote:
Am I right in thinking that I cannot use solder fittings, even for
half-inch?

No - they are available although you might have to search.

FWIW, only solder fittings may be used for jointing gas pipes. Er, copper
ones, that is.

No, a compression fitting may be used and often is. Indeed some boiler
manufactruers may make the inlet connection to their appliance a
compression fitting.

However compression fittings are not permitted in inaccessible places.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett

geoff wrote:

In message , Huge
writes
geoff writes:
In message , "-0-"
writes

You can work on your own gas appliance at your own risk of your
definition of "competence" on non gas carrying parts

To work on a gas appliance for financial gain, you need to be CORGI
registered.

I think that what I posted above is now also true

I shall phone CORGI on Monday and ask them directly whether it is law or
"CORGI Law" and get this sorted out once and for all

No need. It's been "sorted out once and for all" here on numerous occasions.

You're wrong, BTW.

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them

Fairly sure the labels are going beyond the precise interpretation of
the law.
BTW if any thing does go wrong when you are doing your own gas fitting
probably the only proof of competency that would sand up at law would be
to have ACS exam passes.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett

Steve wrote:

geoff wrote:

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them

CORGI are NOT the final arbiters in this - for the "Horse's mouth" you
should get an official statement from the HSE. CORGI are ONLY THERE to
protect their members' interests.

Well they ride two horses these days. They are the only body which the
HSE endorses to regulate and licence profession gas fitters.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
geoff

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:12:30 UTC, geoff wrote:

I shall phone CORGI on Monday and ask them directly whether it is law or
"CORGI Law" and get this sorted out once and for all

No need. It's been "sorted out once and for all" here on numerous occasions.

You're wrong, BTW.

Well I hope I am, but I'm sure I've seen labels on items recently which
say that it is illegal to interfere with gas carrying parts unless you
are CORGI registered.

We'll know tomorrow after I've phoned them

Assuming they tell you the truth....it's hardly in their members'
interests, is it?

If they are asked a direct question about the legality of something, it
would be exceedingly stupid of them to tell a blatant lie

I suppose I could ask the HSE as well
--
geoff

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lee Blaver wrote:
The main problem is how dirty the old pie is, can you get it clean
enough ?

Use an aggressive flux - like Everflux.

Isn't aggresive flux deprecated for gas work?
Or am I mistaken yet again... :-)

No - it's prbably me. I didn't mean it to refer solely to gas, though, as
the vast majority of plumbing will be done on water. And it's water
soluble. ;-) I think.

FWIW, I've used it on copper gas pipes in my own house which I installed
over 20 years ago, and they ain't corroded through yet. Do CORGI give a
twenty year guarantee?

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lee Blaver

Dave Plowman wrote:

Isn't aggresive flux deprecated for gas work?
Or am I mistaken yet again... :-)

No - it's prbably me. I didn't mean it to refer solely to gas, though, as
the vast majority of plumbing will be done on water. And it's water
soluble. ;-) I think.

FWIW, I've used it on copper gas pipes in my own house which I installed
over 20 years ago, and they ain't corroded through yet. Do CORGI give a
twenty year guarantee?

I have used it for water for quite a while and personally have no
problems with it either, since as you point out, it's water soluble so
it dosen't hang around inside the (water) pipes anyway :-)

Interesting point about Corgi and guarantees though, how long would a
Corgi be responsible for a specific installation after doing some work
and would this be longer than the yearly inspections that are reccomended?

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

NJF

Steve Firth wrote:

"John Stumbles" ] wrote:

Yup, compression is OK as long as the joint is accessible.
I'm pretty sure it also says you should keep joints to a minimum.

Yes, one of the parts of the regulations that gets me into a spin. On a
boat, the tube is supposed to be jointed into a bulkhead fitting at
every bulkhead. The fittings are compression only. On even a small boat
this would mean about four to five such fittings on the average run from
the gas locker to the hob which rather goes against the concept of
keeping joints to a minimum.

Hummm, and does it mention putting anti stress loops in every section to
stop damage due to flex in the structure??? Not an uncommon failure mode in
any vessel with pipework.

Niel, certified for toxic (fluorine and chlorine) and explosive (hydrogen)
gases, but not for natural gas....

Steve

NJF wrote:

Steve wrote:

NJF wrote:
Certified for toxic (fluorine and chlorine) and explosive (hydrogen)

gases, but not for natural gas....

Out of interest, who certified you ?

Steve

My doctor,...Swagelok for the tube system work, BOC for the gas
handling.
Stuff all to do with the monopoly merchants corgi.

Niel.

So, you are infinitely better qualified to do NG work but are banned ???

Yet I know a site where a Corgi gas fitter ran acytlene through copper
pipes and got the plant shut down for a month.

Steve

NJF

Steve wrote:

So, you are infinitely better qualified to do NG work but are banned ???

Yet I know a site where a Corgi gas fitter ran acytlene through copper
pipes and got the plant shut down for a month.

Steve

Basically yes, we enquired about getting corgi registration a couple of
years ago and for commercial installations (thats how we're classified) I
needed to do several courses with min 6 months practice (doing 5 days a
week) on domestic systems before the commercial course....I do however have
to work on the equipment end of the systems as no corgi registered person
locally is qualified to work on the kit as it includes H2, O2 and a number
of toxic volatiles.
As one commercial corgi guy pointed out most domestic corgi card holders are
little more than plumbers, and working at low pressure (12 inches of water
IIRC) isn't difficult, higher pressures (we work at over 200 Bar here) is a
different matter altogether.
That said I am aware of a parent installing a dish-washer for his student
daughter in a private block of flats turning off the water and unsoldering a
15mm copper pipe joint with a blow torch thinking it was the cold water
line, the block was burnt out...

Niel.

David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
snip
Geoff,

unless you are a registered Corgi gas fitter (which I doubt, or you

wouldn't
be asking the questions) you should not be even considering touching gas
pipes.

All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

With regard to the water pipes, any decent plumbers merchant will carry a
variety of conversion fittings.
These can be compression or solder.
You can probably get away with 1/2" to 15mm compression and 3/4" to 22mm
compression (as you say, a conversion olive is a good idea).

I leave others to answer the BES specific questions :-)

HTH
Dave R

O.K. I am a BAD person.
Written in haste :-(
What I meant to say was that it is illegal for a non-Corgi fitter to do it
and if you do it yourself and it blows you (or a subsequent purchaser) up
then you may find yourself liable.
Not sure the insurance company would take kindly to DIY gas fitting,
although I doubt they ask too many detailed questions if you have a water
leak.
I would have expected any purchaser to require a Corgi certificate, but from
other posts it seems this is not always so.
However UK DIYers will no doubt have this checked on their purchases :-)

Ouch!
Stop hitting me.

Dave R

P.S. we had a stiff exchange of notes with one plumber (who had a generally
good reputation) because when he re-fitted out hot water tank after
installing a power shower he didn't fully tighten one of the fittings. It
leaked and damaged a part of the downstairs ceiling.
We deducted a sum from his bill because of this, and he was very huffy. Said
these things happen - joints can loosen off after a few heating/cooling
cycles and we should just claim on our insurance and this was 'not the way
to do things'. I read it twice but couldn't find any suggestion of an
apology.

So - pro, semi-pro, and rank amateur plumbers - is this 'par for the course'
or would you expect the fittings not to leak?

What about the 'not my problem - claim on your insurance' approach?

Lee Blaver

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

big snip

What about the 'not my problem - claim on your insurance' approach?

Er..what about *his* insurance?
Or doesn't he have any...
What would have happened if the damage was more than the cost of his
bill? Small Claims and all that malarky no doubt :-(

Ok you might take the risk if you were paying much less than the going
rate...

Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Fishter

Hi David W.E. Roberts
In you wrote:
What about the 'not my problem - claim on your insurance' approach?

Shame if he did it in a block of flats and several people (not the client)
claimed off his insurance...

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Ed Sirett

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:
=

[...]

)
=

Ouch!
Stop hitting me.
=

Dave R
=

[...]

Firstly IME fittings that have been checked don't start leaking of their
own accord unless they are subsequently disturbed or the conditions of
service change.

He will/ought to have liability insurance [1] but there is likely a
large excess on the policy and so he would probably have had to fork out
himself anyway. =

If there cliam were larger no doubt loss adjusters would be involved and
a claim on your house policy might well end up on his insurance. =

[1] Typical libility premium for a one man band is now =A3400/year. That'=
nearly double on last year. I'm getting a deal through CORGI for =A3283
which is +35% on last year. The reasons is all the specialist accident
claim law firms have won a lot of payouts. What comes out must go in. =

-- =

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
geoff

In message , Lee Blaver
writes
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Three-quarter-inch to 22 mm : Use an odinary compression fitting but swap
the olive to a special one. (BES part no. 9055 on page 142)

Am I right in thinking that this is fine for gas as well as water?

unless you are a registered Corgi gas fitter (which I doubt, or you wouldn't
be asking the questions) you should not be even considering touching gas
pipes.
All gas work must be done by a Corgi registered fitter, by law.

HWGA :-)

I can stop it in it's tracks, straight from the CORGI's muzzle

NO IT'S NOT
--
geoff