Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spur shelving with single line of slots - where to buy?

Hi,
I'm trying to locate some of the metal shelving system with steel
brackets that slot into vertical steel strips you screw to the wall.
Spur and Elfin are two brand names. I can only seem to find the
double-slot stuff like this:
http://tinyurl.com/spp6x
What I want is the version with only a single line of slots - not
double. Is it still made? Who stocks it? Can I order it online
anywhere?

TIA,

Drake
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to locate some of the metal shelving system with steel
brackets that slot into vertical steel strips you screw to the wall.
Spur and Elfin are two brand names. I can only seem to find the
double-slot stuff like this:
http://tinyurl.com/spp6x
What I want is the version with only a single line of slots - not
double. Is it still made? Who stocks it? Can I order it online
anywhere?

TIA,

Drake

IKEA
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=50013019

(Sorry - you might have to join up the long URL)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake wrote:

I'm trying to locate some of the metal shelving system with steel
brackets

What I want is the version with only a single line of slots - not
double.

I've never seen this. I've seen it in aluminium, but not in steel. If
you over-load the aluminium, then there's also a nasty failure where
the top lug on the bracket fails - not hard to do either.

I assume that the difference is because of the need to manufacture the
brackets with a wide top, and thus differently. Aluminium can be
extruded as a T section but steel would need to be folded. A U,
asymmetric L or even a Z section is possible, but not a simple T for a
simple central slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan 2007 12:18:54 -0800, "atticus" wrote:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=50013019

Yes - that's the stiff I want! Unfortunately that website is not open
for business yet, and the nearest Ikea store is more than 100 miles
from me, so I'm still looking...

Thanks anyway,

Jake
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan 2007 16:56:09 -0800, "Andy Dingley "
wrote:

What I want is the version with only a single line of slots - not
double.

I've never seen this. I've seen it in aluminium, but not in steel. If
you over-load the aluminium, then there's also a nasty failure where
the top lug on the bracket fails - not hard to do either.

Yes, I know the alloy stuff, and yes, it is much weaker than the steel
stuff. The steel is about 1/8" thick so it's plenty strong.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What I want is the version with only a single line of slots - not
double.

I've never seen this. I've seen it in aluminium, but not in steel. If
you over-load the aluminium, then there's also a nasty failure where
the top lug on the bracket fails - not hard to do either.

Yes, I know the alloy stuff, and yes, it is much weaker than the steel
stuff. The steel is about 1/8" thick so it's plenty strong.

Nearer 1/16" actually, but it's still very good.
Spur went out of business a few years ago, but most places (B&Q,
Screwfix et al) sell compatible twin slot stuff - I must admit that I
haven't seen your single-slot stuff for a while.

I've never had failures with pseudo (or real) Spur "double-slot"
bracketry carrying zillions of books, amplifiers, turntables and so on
- even a large CRT gryrivfvba set at one time (on 24" (or thereabouts)
brackets)!

--
Frank Erskine