Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler not firing after power cut

X-No-Archive:I have just got home to find that there has been a power
cut at some time today. My boiler, an ideal standard isar was off and
showing the code L F. The user manual told me to press the reset
button and the boiler fired immediately. Other notes under the same
code suggested that the gas supply might be off. Clearly it was not
when the boiler relit and I have never known the gas supply to fail in
the twenty odd years I have lived here. Apparently the boiler tries to
fire three times and then gives up.

Power cuts are fairly common occurrences where I live so I am worried
that this will happen everytime. Is this a known problem or was it a
one-off set of circumstances? Why does the boiler not try again when
the power comes on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:58:02 +0000 Psst wrote :
Power cuts are fairly common occurrences where I live so I am worried
that this will happen everytime. Is this a known problem or was it a
one-off set of circumstances? Why does the boiler not try again when
the power comes on?

Well its just how the software in the boiler control unit is
programmed. The manufacturers are just being ultra safe.

That would be really helpful if there was a power cut in the
middle of your winter holiday, leaving you with a flooded house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

X-No-Archive:I have just got home to find that there has been a power
cut at some time today. My boiler, an ideal standard isar was off and
showing the code L F. The user manual told me to press the reset
button and the boiler fired immediately. Other notes under the same
code suggested that the gas supply might be off. Clearly it was not
when the boiler relit and I have never known the gas supply to fail in
the twenty odd years I have lived here. Apparently the boiler tries to
fire three times and then gives up.

Power cuts are fairly common occurrences where I live so I am worried
that this will happen everytime. Is this a known problem or was it a
one-off set of circumstances? Why does the boiler not try again when
the power comes on?

I don't know what 'LF' means, or whether the following applies to you - but
power cuts can sometimes cause the problem described below.

If the boiler controls the pump in order to provide pump over-run, and if
there is a power failure when the boiler is in full flight, the boiler may
overheat and trip the over-heat cutout - because, with no power, the pump
can't continue to run in order to carry away the residual heat. This would
require a manual reset before the boiler would fire again. Short of
providing a UPS for the heating system electrics, there ain't a lot you can
do about it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:54:49 -0800, perrancott wrote:

X-No-Archive:I have just got home to find that there has been a power

X-No-Answer:if you don't want others down the line to benefit from
what you may learn here then I'm not acting as your exclusive personal
helpline!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:33:55 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:58:02 +0000 Psst wrote :
Power cuts are fairly common occurrences where I live so I am worried
that this will happen everytime. Is this a known problem or was it a
one-off set of circumstances? Why does the boiler not try again when
the power comes on?

Well its just how the software in the boiler control unit is
programmed. The manufacturers are just being ultra safe.

That would be really helpful if there was a power cut in the
middle of your winter holiday, leaving you with a flooded house.

Yes indeed,of course it depends o the boiler make and model,,some will
just keep cycling,others will just try maybe 3 times then lockout.