Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [?] Looking for a Waste pipe 'diverter'.

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone in this NG can help me.

I'm looking for a 'two-way diverter tap' that I can put in the outside
2" plastic pipe that carries waste water from our bath and washbasin to
the outside drain. I'd like to be able to rearrange the pipework so that
I can divert waste water into a close-by water-butt until it is full,
then be able to 'switch' the outlet back so that any further waste water
goes down the drain as it did originally.

Does such a 'diverter-tap' exist and, if so, where can I get one?

TIA - Dave.

David C.Chapman - Chartered Engineer. FIEE. )
CHAPMAN ASSOCIATES is a Consultancy offering practical expertise and
design skills in the fields of counter-surveillance, electronic protection
and security. Visit our Web site at http://www.minda.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Chapman" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone in this NG can help me.

I'm looking for a 'two-way diverter tap' that I can put in the outside
2" plastic pipe that carries waste water from our bath and washbasin to
the outside drain. I'd like to be able to rearrange the pipework so that
I can divert waste water into a close-by water-butt until it is full,
then be able to 'switch' the outlet back so that any further waste water
goes down the drain as it did originally.

Does such a 'diverter-tap' exist and, if so, where can I get one?

They do but I wouldn't advise storing bath or hand basin water, it gets
very smelly very quickly.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone in this NG can help me.

I'm looking for a 'two-way diverter tap' that I can put in the
outside 2" plastic pipe that carries waste water from our bath and
washbasin to the outside drain. I'd like to be able to rearrange the
pipework so that I can divert waste water into a close-by water-butt
until it is full, then be able to 'switch' the outlet back so that
any further waste water goes down the drain as it did originally.

Does such a 'diverter-tap' exist and, if so, where can I get one?

TIA - Dave.

David C.Chapman - Chartered Engineer. FIEE. )
CHAPMAN ASSOCIATES is a Consultancy offering practical expertise and
design skills in the fields of counter-surveillance, electronic
protection and security. Visit our Web site at
http://www.minda.co.uk

It's called a 'greywater diverter valve'

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

"David Chapman" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone in this NG can help me.

I'm looking for a 'two-way diverter tap' that I can put in the outside
2" plastic pipe that carries waste water from our bath and washbasin to
the outside drain. I'd like to be able to rearrange the pipework so that
I can divert waste water into a close-by water-butt until it is full,
then be able to 'switch' the outlet back so that any further waste water
goes down the drain as it did originally.

Does such a 'diverter-tap' exist and, if so, where can I get one?

They do but I wouldn't advise storing bath or hand basin water, it gets
very smelly very quickly.

Agreed.

It might be slightly better to have the water-butt simply overflow
into the original drain, as that will keep a flow going through the
water butt even when full and skim off the surface scum.
Do not route kitchen sink waste into it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"David Chapman" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone in this NG can help me.

I'm looking for a 'two-way diverter tap' that I can put in the outside
2" plastic pipe that carries waste water from our bath and washbasin to
the outside drain. I'd like to be able to rearrange the pipework so that
I can divert waste water into a close-by water-butt until it is full,
then be able to 'switch' the outlet back so that any further waste water
goes down the drain as it did originally.

Does such a 'diverter-tap' exist and, if so, where can I get one?

They do but I wouldn't advise storing bath or hand basin water, it gets
very smelly very quickly.

So does any water in a butt, even fresh rainwater.

Great breeding place for mosquito larvae as well.

I have juts as such a system that tapes into a drain downpipe..it
divertst the water till the butt is full. Any builders merchant stocks
such, though you may need to go to a large bore pipe.

Alternatively, just connect the wastes to the tank, and then have the
tank overflow go into the drains.

Of course, you need to make sure the tank level in not above the level
of your bath water etc..or you will end up with a bath that won't empty.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
They do but I wouldn't advise storing bath or hand basin water, it gets
very smelly very quickly.

So does any water in a butt, even fresh rainwater.

I've never had my rainwater butt go smelly, even when not taking
any water from it during long hot periods.

Great breeding place for mosquito larvae as well.

Should have a lid, and nowadays, it has to be a childproof one.
(I guess some child must have drowned in a water butt in the
last few years?)

I have juts as such a system that tapes into a drain downpipe..it
divertst the water till the butt is full. Any builders merchant stocks
such, though you may need to go to a large bore pipe.

That's what I have for rainwater. Mine has a crude gauze filter,
which may be why my butt never smells;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
They do but I wouldn't advise storing bath or hand basin water, it gets
very smelly very quickly.

So does any water in a butt, even fresh rainwater.

I've never had my rainwater butt go smelly, even when not taking
any water from it during long hot periods.

Nor have I. In an open container algae grow but they don't make it smelly.

That's what I have for rainwater. Mine has a crude gauze filter,
which may be why my butt never smells;-).

:-)

Well, we don't have a filter at the delivery end but Spouse made a domed
wire cap for the gutter end. I'd be prepared to drink the water from our
roofs, in fact I have done. I wouldn't like to drink the soapy,
bubble-bathy, shed skinny and general mucky and sludgy liquid from my bath -
even before it had been stored!

Mary

Mary

waste pipe teshaf Home Repair 2 November 20th 06 05:51 PM
Top piece of shower diverter is stuck in the pipe CJ Home Repair 1 June 19th 06 07:17 PM
Top piece of shower diverter is stuck in the pipe CJ Home Repair 0 June 7th 06 03:41 PM
waste pipe into soil pipe? [email protected] UK diy 3 July 26th 05 11:13 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM