Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aqualisa 605 shower mixer - removing control knob

hi

I have a 9 year old aqualisa shower mixer which has started to leak
very badly around the control knob all of a sudden today.

Reading previous threads here suggest the cartridge has probably failed
and I simply need to replace it.

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/aqual...05_and_405.htm

But I am unable to remove the control knob (item 12 in above URL). I
did read there may be a retaining screw behind the Aqualisa badge but
I've been equally unsuccessful in prising off the badge and the above
diagram doesn't suggest there is even a screw behind the badge.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a retaining screw behind the
badge, or am I wasting my time trying to prise the badge off on this
particular model?

thanks in advance

bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi

I have a 9 year old aqualisa shower mixer which has started to leak
very badly around the control knob all of a sudden today.

Reading previous threads here suggest the cartridge has probably failed
and I simply need to replace it.

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/aqual...05_and_405.htm

But I am unable to remove the control knob (item 12 in above URL). I
did read there may be a retaining screw behind the Aqualisa badge but
I've been equally unsuccessful in prising off the badge and the above
diagram doesn't suggest there is even a screw behind the badge.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a retaining screw behind the
badge, or am I wasting my time trying to prise the badge off on this
particular model?

thanks in advance

bill

IIRC it just pulls off. Aqualisa support has been first rate the couple of
times I have rung for assistance. But you are right it is certainly the
cartridge that has failed and yes they are about £100 :-(

Aqualisa Products Limited, The Flyer's Way, Westerham, Kent. TN16 1DE.

Tel: 01959 560010
Fax: 01959 560030
Email:

Opening hours 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
hi

I have a 9 year old aqualisa shower mixer which has started to leak
very badly around the control knob all of a sudden today.

Reading previous threads here suggest the cartridge has probably
failed and I simply need to replace it.

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/aqual...05_and_405.htm

But I am unable to remove the control knob (item 12 in above URL). I
did read there may be a retaining screw behind the Aqualisa badge but
I've been equally unsuccessful in prising off the badge and the above
diagram doesn't suggest there is even a screw behind the badge.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a retaining screw behind
the badge, or am I wasting my time trying to prise the badge off on
this particular model?

I think it depends on the age. I've repaired Aquamixers and some have a
screw, some just pull straight off - have you tried that? Looks to me like
it pulls off.

Give Aqualisa a call on 01959 560010. Their technical help line is 100%
brilliant, best I've ever come across.

Last one I repaired it was the Gasket with Filter leaking, part no; 213019

BTW that cartridge is only £85 from them direct + P&P and the gasket only
£3.57. Buy the bits direct.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the replies so far.

I tried pulling the knob off earlier when I got home from work but it
didn't seem to want to budge. Even tried levering it off carefully but
it just seemed to spring back into position.

I'm guessing Aqualisa isn't open on Saturdays.

The local Plumbase have told me they have the grey cartridges in stock
for £78. I think that included VAT but I could be wrong. It needs to
be fixed asap as the water supply has been shut off at the main stop
cock.

bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

update:

This morning, I did finally remove the control knob but had to use two
screwdrivers on either side to lever it off the knob. Limescale I
guess must have caused the knob to be 'seized' onto the end of the
spindle. The gasket had failed, cleaning and refitting didn't totally
cure the big leak but it was better than the water gushing out. (system
is mains water pressure fed)

So bought a new grey cartridge kit which included new gasket/screws etc
from Plumbase for £78.25.

Unfortunately I didnt realise it is also 'recommended' the hot water O
ring should be replaced and I don't fancy taking it all apart to fit it
as it took me ages to refit the inner shroud (I didn't remove the outer
shroud/plate which is siliconed to the wall)

Can someone tell me what the symptoms are for a failed/worn hot water O
ring? I'm not seeing any leaks, or drips from the shower head if that
helps

cheers

bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

update:

This morning, I did finally remove the control knob but had to use two
screwdrivers on either side to lever it off the knob. Limescale I
guess must have caused the knob to be 'seized' onto the end of the
spindle. There was no retention screw as advised. The leak was due
to the gasket having failed, cleaning and refitting didn't totally cure
the problem but it was better than the water previouslyl gushing out.
(system is mains water pressure fed)

So I bought a new grey cartridge kit which included new gasket/screws
etc from Plumbase for £78.25.

Unfortunately I didnt realise it is also 'recommended' the hot water O
ring should be replaced, and I don't fancy taking it all apart again to
fit it as it took me ages to refit the inner shroud (I didn't remove
the outer shroud/plate which is siliconed to the wall)

Can someone tell me what the usual symptoms are for a failed/worn hot
water O ring? I'm not seeing any leaks, or drips from the shower head
if that helps. Everything appears to be working as normal but it is
early days....

cheers

bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sorry for the double posted 'update'.

I forgot to add there was some damage to the outer rim of the old
cartridge where it is used to keep the gasket in position. This may or
may not have been contributing to the original leak.

I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me with regards to the
usual symptoms to be expected from a faulty hot water O ring as I have
chosen not to replace this item inside the mixer body.

thanks.

bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

final update:

I phoned Aqualisa this Monday morning and found them to be very helpful
in answering some questions I had.

They confirmed if the hot water O ring became faulty, then hot water
would leak out of the shower head.

As I am not seeing any leak from the shower head since replacing the
cartridge, I can assume the old O ring is working fine.

thanks to all who answered my original question over the weekend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To anyone still looking at this thread - my aquavalve 700 did have the retaining screw. Best way of getting the badge out (having given up on the knife / screwdriver combo) is to put some safety glasses on and give the badge a light buzz with a power drill. Be warned - plastic shards go everywhere.. Badge falls to pieces. Great success.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How did u remove the knob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2019 01:00, wrote:
How did u remove the knob

Originally posted in 2007

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...A/-XFhDL2H_hgJ

The last wisdom in 2015,

"give the badge a light buzz with a power drill. Be warned - plastic
shards go everywhere. Badge falls to pieces. Great success"

Or you could ask someone to read the thread to you, where it is actually
answered.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I think the answer was pull out the middle with a sucker and there was a
kind of collet nut thingy.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 24/04/2019 01:00,
wrote:
How did u remove the knob

Originally posted in 2007

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d...A/-XFhDL2H_hgJ

The last wisdom in 2015,

"give the badge a light buzz with a power drill. Be warned - plastic
shards go everywhere. Badge falls to pieces. Great success"

Or you could ask someone to read the thread to you, where it is actually
answered.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I persisted on the badge with thin blade electricians knife and the retaining screw is behind it on a 609 no need for drill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you all for contributing to this thread.
I have an aquavalve 700, with exactly same leak. I need to take it apart, and this thread actually gave me a good idea of where to look.

Also one of you mentioned Aqualisa support - you were 100% right, I couldn't find out what model I have (installed by property developer - new build) , but as soon as I gave them the picture, they we yep, that's aquavalve 700.

Thank you all so much, especially to the OP for such detailed updates. Appreciate that !

Kind regards
Marcin