Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default immersion heater

hi

my central heating has packed up
so for now im going to fit the old immersion heater
wireing back together
its old say about 20 years the immersion heater is still in the tank
its just acase of putting the wires back
can anyone see a problem with this
Thanks
Mick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

painterman1 brought next idea :
hi

my central heating has packed up
so for now im going to fit the old immersion heater
wireing back together
its old say about 20 years the immersion heater is still in the tank
its just acase of putting the wires back
can anyone see a problem with this
Thanks
Mick

Ours was put in as a standby twenty odd years ago and was never needed.
I eventually diverted the circuit for other purposes, but made sure I
could restore it in minutes should it ever be needed for its original
purpose.

If yours is just a matter of reconnecting and you know what you are
doing, just get on with it - there should not be a problem.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

painterman1 wrote:

hi

my central heating has packed up
so for now im going to fit the old immersion heater
wireing back together
its old say about 20 years the immersion heater is still in the tank
its just acase of putting the wires back
can anyone see a problem with this
Thanks
Mick

you wont know if theres a problem till you try it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
painterman1 wrote:
my central heating has packed up so for now im going to fit the old
immersion heater wireing back together its old say about 20 years the
immersion heater is still in the tank its just acase of putting the
wires back can anyone see a problem with this

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try, though.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Default my willy fell off

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

If yours is just a matter of reconnecting and you know what you are
doing, just get on with it - there should not be a problem.

FILTH!

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:36:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article .com,
painterman1 wrote:
my central heating has packed up so for now im going to fit the old
immersion heater wireing back together its old say about 20 years the
immersion heater is still in the tank its just acase of putting the
wires back can anyone see a problem with this

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try, though.

And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all present day ones have .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:36:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article .com,
painterman1 wrote:

my central heating has packed up so for now im going to fit the old
immersion heater wireing back together its old say about 20 years the
immersion heater is still in the tank its just acase of putting the
wires back can anyone see a problem with this

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try, though.

And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all present day ones have .
Stuart

True, but 2 deaths in 20 years is a safety record orders of magnitude
better than most things we do daily.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 30, 2:38 pm, Stuart wrote:

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try, though.And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all present day ones have .

Worth buying a new thermostat, if the heater element works.
I believe that the mineral insulation inside the element sheath can
absorb moisture, causing a leak to earth and making any RCDs trip. Once
thgey heat up, the absorbed moisture evaporates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Aidan writes

On Dec 30, 2:38 pm, Stuart wrote:

It's very likely the element has corroded through. You can but try,
though.And the thermostat might not have a safety cutout as all
present day ones have .

Worth buying a new thermostat, if the heater element works.
I believe that the mineral insulation inside the element sheath can
absorb moisture, causing a leak to earth and making any RCDs trip. Once
thgey heat up, the absorbed moisture evaporates.

What is the operation of the safety element? Overcurrent, overtemp. ?.

I fitted a new one to my daughters cistern and it has tripped twice
since. The element looked perfect; no scale or distortion. I was unable
to check for electrical faults.

Is there any possibility of a faulty cut-out?

regards

--
Tim Lamb