Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Kitchen Cabinet depth

Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"51" wrote in message
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

If you go more than halfway back you'll have the top fall off

;-^

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

As much as you want really, as long as you leave enough room for the hinges.

Tell us more?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
51 wrote:
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

As much as you want really, as long as you leave enough room for the
hinges.

Tell us more?

I'm trying to make enough room for cokker, washer and dishwasher between
kitchen sink side and opposite side. If I can pinch 50-60mm from the
side opposite the sink I will get a full size dishwasher in.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

Thanks.

Arthur

As much as you like, I think you need about 3" to attach the doors to,
thats all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

As much as you want really, as long as you leave enough room for the
hinges.

Tell us more?

I'm trying to make enough room for cokker, washer and dishwasher between
kitchen sink side and opposite side. If I can pinch 50-60mm from the
side opposite the sink I will get a full size dishwasher in.

Arthur

Go for it. Only problem is that the backs won't fit. They are generally
in by about 50mm..however they aren't a lot of good anyway..you can
simply tack them on the back of your 'new' units and space away from the
wall.

You WILL lose initial rigidity if you go further than the strap across
the back as well. (sounds like a S&M instruction leaflet dunnit?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

The B&Q "IT" base cabinets have about 7.5cm behind the slot for the back
panel, if you need more than that, you'd have to either have no back
panel, or use a router to cut a new slot, or something else like just
duct tape the back panel on ...

Also if you trim too much off the back, you'll need a 16mm drill to
reposition the rear legs, and cut down the shelf depth and new holes for
the shelf supports.

The wall cabinets only have 1cm behind the back panel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Go for it. Only problem is that the backs won't fit. They are generally
in by about 50mm

can confirm you'd get away with 70mm without touching the back panel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
[...]

I've done half depth runs before now. Helps to have a circular saw/
batten set up, especially for the worktop.
You may lose the rear fixing on the carcass, and those things are not
that easy to re-position
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I've done half depth runs before now.

If you only need *half* depth, it's easier to use wall cabinets instead
of base units, and just buy spare legs for them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

"51" wrote in message
Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

Thanks.

Arthur

Perfect stuff, gents.

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I've done half depth runs before now. Helps to have a circular saw/
batten set up, especially for the worktop.
You may lose the rear fixing on the carcass, and those things are not
that easy to re-position

I've done it as well, no problem. If you lose the backing slots you can
recut them with a router. If you lose the rear top batten you can just
screw it in.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

Hi all.
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

I have done it with Screwfix cabinets - reduced by 100mm, and it was
just possible to get the drawers to still fit in the base units without
needing to adjust the drawer boxes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
51 wrote:

How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

I have done it with Screwfix cabinets - reduced by 100mm, and it was
just possible to get the drawers to still fit in the base units without
needing to adjust the drawer boxes.

How did you manage to open them after stuffing a full size dishwasher
in the space thus created?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
How much can the depth of a kitchen base cabinet be
reduced by? I have B & Q cabinets.

I have done it with Screwfix cabinets - reduced by 100mm, and it was
just possible to get the drawers to still fit in the base units without
needing to adjust the drawer boxes.

Just had to reduce some Howden's (=MFI) cabinets - by about 150mm -
which involved recreating all the joints/holes at the back;
unfortunately they've now changed the drawer design into prefabricated
metal ones which (along with the preformed metal runers) are pretty well
impossible to cut down, which was a bit of a bummer. So ended up
converting my "drawer-line" units into "hi-line" ones!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Just had to reduce some Howden's (=MFI) cabinets - by about 150mm -
which involved recreating all the joints/holes at the back;
unfortunately they've now changed the drawer design into prefabricated
metal ones which (along with the preformed metal runers) are pretty well
impossible to cut down, which was a bit of a bummer. So ended up
converting my "drawer-line" units into "hi-line" ones!

That was the case with the screfix ones - had I have needed more than
100mm off the depth, then I would have had to have remade the drawer boxes.

--
Cheers,

John.