Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining mains cable with crimps

I have to extend an existing 1.5mm cable which feeds a light fitting,
which (she says) needs moving. I'm intending to use crimps; never having
done ths before I'd just like to confirm the methodology first.

I have some blue butt crimps and a ratchet crimping tool; I believe the
whole lot needs encasing in heatshrink too? What I've not been able to
ascertain is whether each individual crimped wire needs separately
encapsulating (despite no bare copper being visible) or do you have to
sheath the whole shebang? Or both? If not, when do have to and when do
you not?

Finally, what diameter heatshrink do I need to buy for this application
(and also for joining 2.5mm cables, while I'm at it...)

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
rob rob is offline

I was always told not to use crimps on a single conductor cable, A
junction box would be a better solution.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

I was always told not to use crimps on a single conductor cable, A
junction box would be a better solution.
Rob

Not if it will be inaccessible later e.g. buried in plaster.

Heatshrink-wise, see:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....edf1b1 b50554
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/yggqub)

On the strength of this I decided to only sleeve the whole thing in
adhesive heat shrink. This is a lot less complicated, as it happens.
I used:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...08 &doy=20m12
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/ybao9d)

I think I used the largest of these - they shrink quite a bit, and they
need to be big enough to get over the crimps in the first place.

HTH,
Al

PS It's a good idea to practice crimping on some spare cable.
Don't be afraid to give the connection a good yank - if it comes
apart then you're not doing it right. If some conductor is exposed
at the end of the crimps, bear in mind this might just be the sleeve
on the conductor moving.

PPS
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....b5b927 9a4cbd
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/yjtd6x) might also be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:27:22 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I have to extend an existing 1.5mm cable which feeds a light fitting,
which (she says) needs moving. I'm intending to use crimps; never having
done ths before I'd just like to confirm the methodology first.

I have some blue butt crimps and a ratchet crimping tool; I believe the
whole lot needs encasing in heatshrink too? What I've not been able to
ascertain is whether each individual crimped wire needs separately
encapsulating (despite no bare copper being visible) or do you have to
sheath the whole shebang? Or both? If not, when do have to and when do
you not?

Finally, what diameter heatshrink do I need to buy for this application
(and also for joining 2.5mm cables, while I'm at it...)

Thanks
David

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that you use the
red crimps on 1 and 1.5mm² and the blue on 2.5mm².

You can use a junction box as an enclosure for the crimped section to
avoid heat shrinking. If you use proper insulated crimps then there will
be no copper showing at all but the wires still need mechanical protection
where there is no sheath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that you use the
red crimps on 1 and 1.5mm² and the blue on 2.5mm².

Either red or blue should be OK on 1.5.

Red: 0.5 - 1.5 mm^2
Blue: 1.5 - 2.5 mm^2
Yellow: 4.0 - 6.0 mm^2

--
Andy

Jointing mains cable with crimps Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) UK diy 71 June 24th 05 07:14 PM
Joining armoured cable wmt UK diy 3 May 2nd 05 07:08 PM
Joining mains cables Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 May 1st 05 01:12 PM
Joining CT100 satellite cable Roger Moss UK diy 15 April 27th 04 01:43 AM
Joining a co-axial cable Sneezy UK diy 27 March 28th 04 09:36 PM