Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete Fence Posts

Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into
the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

As funny as that response was, the question perhaps in these greener times
is.
Does the enviromental impact of the method of longevity outweigh that of the
well known high enviromental impact of producing yet more concrete.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Thanks to both of you - I thought I might be wasting my time - but the
environmental one is an interesting one and I feel we (generally) don't do
enough maintenance as replacement is always more fun - eg. Councils allow
buildings to suffer lack of basic maintenance (gutters cleared, woodwork
painted, etc) then lo and behold the place has to be demolished as it will
cost too much to repair. Similar examples - Must buy some new outside Xmas
decorations from China - I can't be bothered to use the old ones - anyway -
I fancy a 6 foot Santa Snowstorm. My 4 year old widescreen 32 inch TV will
have to be replaced before its time so that I can play with a new Plasma or
LCD screen - Damn - the programmes are the same!

I will leave my new posts alone and hope that in my old age I won't need to
get someone to dig out the lumps of concrete that they have been set into -
half a pitch away from the previous concrete lumps that held the wooden
posts.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Councils usually do that to get around Laws protecting listed buildings.
They turn a blind eye to people getting inside them and make sure they fall
in to such a state that they have to be demolished - which was previously
refused. Then you get a load of tiny flats built on the land handed out to
smackheads and people that travel through many different countries to take
advantage of our benefit system and drain the country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

I would say yes, give them a coat of something, preferably in summer...the
moisture can only get to the steel through the concrete, so painting them
will effectively slow this down considerably

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

And the 18 inch by 14 inch lump of concrete at the base of each one? - will
that just melt away leaving a new hole for the £10 posts to go in?

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

They don't last 'decades' neither, at least, most of them don't, I've seen
posts disintegrate within 5 years in exposed conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
news
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into
the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this
corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

The ones on my fence took more than 60 years to fail. I haven't bothered to
provide additional protection for their successors.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

I would say yes, give them a coat of something, preferably in summer...the
moisture can only get to the steel through the concrete, so painting them
will effectively slow this down considerably

Don't be the complete pillock I take you for IMM or are/was you
Drivvel?

In an exposed situation, how long do you think the paint will last? 6
months? And how many tins will he get through before he realises it
would have been cheaper and less unsightly to let them rust?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into
the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

Don't be so bloody daft yourself - it isn't the cost of the posts
themselves, it's all the bloody labour to get the old ones out and the new
ones in the ground that's the problem!!

JellyBelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

And the 18 inch by 14 inch lump of concrete at the base of each one? - will
that just melt away leaving a new hole for the £10 posts to go in?

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

They don't last 'decades' neither, at least, most of them don't, I've seen
posts disintegrate within 5 years in exposed conditions.

That's pretty much down to poor concrete.. If the cement ratio is high
enough to make them relatively inpervious to water then the steel will
last indefinitely.

However if its 'screed grade' with plenty of voids, water will get in
freeze and split them and expose the rods after a couple of hard winters..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into
the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

Don't be so bloody daft yourself - it isn't the cost of the posts
themselves, it's all the bloody labour to get the old ones out and the new
ones in the ground that's the problem!!

JellyBelly

The answer is to buy good grade ones in the first place then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec 2006 20:34:48 -0800 Weatherlawyer wrote :
In an exposed situation, how long do you think the paint will
last? 6 months?

Paint on render lasts a lot longer than that. You've got a good
key on a surface that doesn't move. But somehow I don't think
painting concrete fence posts will make them last any longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

I would say yes, give them a coat of something, preferably in
summer...the
moisture can only get to the steel through the concrete, so painting them
will effectively slow this down considerably

Don't be the complete pillock I take you for IMM or are/was you
Drivvel?

In an exposed situation, how long do you think the paint will last? 6
months? And how many tins will he get through before he realises it
would have been cheaper and less unsightly to let them rust?

Liquid Plastics K501 waterproofer - like Thomsons Waterseal on steroids -
has a 10 year guarantee and *does* work.

JellyBelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

This isn't known by the purchaser.

However if its 'screed grade' with plenty of voids, water will get in
freeze and split them and expose the rods after a couple of hard
winters..

Even solid,good grade concrete will blow apart if the steel is too near the
surface, again not usually possible for the purchaser to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

I would say yes, give them a coat of something, preferably in
summer...the moisture can only get to the steel through the
concrete, so painting them will effectively slow this down
considerably

Don't be the complete pillock I take you for IMM or are/was you
Drivvel?

I don't know what any of that ****e is supposed to mean, so I wil just put
it down to your meds wearing off.

In an exposed situation, how long do you think the paint will last? 6
months? And how many tins will he get through before he realises it
would have been cheaper and less unsightly to let them rust?

I didn't say paint, monkey brain, I said a coat of something, you probably
have visions of someone painting concrete posts with emulsion, although this
isn't surprising given your 'knowledge' displayed so far...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this
corrosion much of an issue on new posts?
Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace.
They should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you
afford a penny a week?

Don't be so bloody daft yourself - it isn't the cost of the posts
themselves, it's all the bloody labour to get the old ones out and
the new ones in the ground that's the problem!!

JellyBelly

The answer is to buy good grade ones in the first place then.

hmmmm...do you imagine that concrete fence manufacterers make several grades
of each product?