Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi boiler keeps on turning on

Hi - not sure if there is anything wrong with my boiler or not. i have
a vailant combi boiler and no matter what heat setting it is at it
comes on for a while with the burners going, seems to turn off and then
starts straight back up again - continuously. I thought that it would
keep on till it had reached the temp and then just keep blasting as and
when needed - not keep going on and off the whole time? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks Debbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"debbieg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi - not sure if there is anything wrong with my boiler or not. i have
a vailant combi boiler and no matter what heat setting it is at it
comes on for a while with the burners going, seems to turn off and then
starts straight back up again - continuously. I thought that it would
keep on till it had reached the temp and then just keep blasting as and
when needed - not keep going on and off the whole time? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks Debbie

What model and how often does it come on and off? I mean, they are meant to
turn off when the CH is up to temperature, then they come back on when the
temperature drops, so it would help if we knew exactly what its doing.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec 2006 04:59:23 -0800 someone who may be "debbieg"
wrote this:-

i have
a vailant combi boiler and no matter what heat setting it is at it
comes on for a while with the burners going, seems to turn off

How does it "seem to turn off"?

Do you mean that the burners turn off? When they turn off the pump
will probably still be running.

and then starts straight back up again

After how long?

- continuously.

For how long?

Depending on the times this could be caused by a variety of things.
For example some combination boilers have a hot water reservoir that
they keep warm by intermittent firing. We will have more chance of
guessing what it is with more information.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:59:23 -0800, debbieg wrote:

Hi - not sure if there is anything wrong with my boiler or not. i have
a vailant combi boiler and no matter what heat setting it is at it
comes on for a while with the burners going, seems to turn off and then
starts straight back up again - continuously. I thought that it would
keep on till it had reached the temp and then just keep blasting as and
when needed - not keep going on and off the whole time? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks Debbie

What model?
A stock fault on the VCW 242s is that the main PCB (the hardest to change)
goes down with a fault that causes the CH to run continously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hah, I had a Vaillant which I replaced with a Halstead. This is almost
exactly the opposite of the fault I have at the moment (random tripping and
locking out). When I find out what is wrong I will post the answer; good
luck!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"debbieg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi - not sure if there is anything wrong with my boiler or not. i have
a vailant combi boiler and no matter what heat setting it is at it
comes on for a while with the burners going, seems to turn off and then
starts straight back up again - continuously. I thought that it would
keep on till it had reached the temp and then just keep blasting as and
when needed - not keep going on and off the whole time? Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks Debbie

If you have a wireless programmer/thermostat, check the batteries in it. We
have an Alpha boiler with wireless programmer/thermostat and if we happen to
miss the low battery indicator on it (which is easy to do) the boiler goes
into a sort of a hard-coded "failsafe" (I know that's not the phrase I need
but can't think of anything better at the moment) 2 minutes on, 9 minutes
off, cycle - and continues like that until the batteries are replaced.

JellyBelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JellyBelly wrote:
"debbieg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have a Vailant combi boiler, it does this at odd times through the
day, even when CH is switched off and no hot water is being drawn. when
it was installed the installer told me this would happen as it keeps a
small reservoir of hot water. Not sure of the model, if it is important
I can root through my boxes and find out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:25:01 +0000, Broadback wrote:

JellyBelly wrote:
"debbieg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes some models have the ability to do this.
In general, to keep the boiler in warm standby is about 30s every 30
minutes.

The OP was having the boiler run more than that.