Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC double glazing / trickle vents

My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation
and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor
area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens
and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots
on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when
"shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2006 05:30:37 -0800 Sm_jamieson wrote :
But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal
slots on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path
even when "shut". What is the alternative to these, that will
satisfy the regs ?

Airbrick (probably plastic louvred to get the area) outside,
hit-and-miss vent inside. You could like the opening between the two
with acoustic tiles to reduce any noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation
and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor
area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens
and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots
on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when
"shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

I don't believe there is as, to satisfy the regs, you will need a FENSA
certificate for the windows and FENSA certified units will come with trickle
vents automatically. I supect you wouldn't get a FENSA certificate without
the vents either as it's not their job to see if you are sorting out
ventilation in some other way, just to certify the windows.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation
and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor
area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens
and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots
on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when
"shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

Simon.

I could be wrong (it does occaionally happen) but did I read somewhere
that windows that can be locked/secured in an 'ajar' position are
acceptable alternatives to having 'permanent' trickle vents fitted?

Certainly our Rehau units, only a couple of years old, don't have
trickle vents - but they can be locked in a 'slightly-open' fashion
(very handy that feature is too). Of course, perhaps they're not
regulation compliant but it's a reputable brand I believe (which is
good enough for me).

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
[...]

Might be worth checking with your local BCO whether they are an absolute
requirement. They aren't round my way; I have no idea why. I've fitted
several under BCO supervision with no problem at all. The local window
manufacturers are well aware and I think don't routinely fit the trickle
vents!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:
[...]

I agree, around here no one cares neither...the BCO probably isn't
interested in the slightest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:07:27 -0000, Bob Mannix wrote:
and FENSA certified units will come with trickle
vents automatically.

Is that new? I had loads fitted a couple of years ago and they didn't have
vents, they came with the normal fensa certs.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
ups.com...
sm_jamieson wrote:
My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation
and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor
area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens
and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots
on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when
"shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

Simon.

I could be wrong (it does occaionally happen) but did I read somewhere
that windows that can be locked/secured in an 'ajar' position are
acceptable alternatives to having 'permanent' trickle vents fitted?

That's my understanding of what the FENSA subscription man told me.
HE said that owner/occupiers tended to buy the
lock-in-an-intermediate-position windows ('cos they look nice) whilest
rentiers (including councils and Housing Associations) specify the ugly
looking windows with trickle vents ('cos they're cheaper - and tenants tend
to dry clothes indoors with windows shut tight leading to damp problems).

Certainly our Rehau units, only a couple of years old, don't have
trickle vents - but they can be locked in a 'slightly-open' fashion
(very handy that feature is too). Of course, perhaps they're not
regulation compliant but it's a reputable brand I believe (which is
good enough for me).

Mathew

--

Brian

Timber or UPVC Double glazing? emma UK diy 8 May 9th 06 09:00 AM
Trickle vents: fitting after-market ones [email protected] UK diy 14 April 16th 06 08:41 PM
Trickle Vents RedOnRed UK diy 2 September 4th 05 10:08 PM
uPVC glazing bead Bob H UK diy 10 September 28th 04 09:10 PM
Sizing up window aperture for UPVC double glazing RossG UK diy 3 June 3rd 04 12:04 PM