DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glowworm rebadged british gas 330 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/185588-glowworm-rebadged-british-gas-330-a.html)

doobydoobydo December 12th 06 12:27 AM

Glowworm rebadged british gas 330

My new condensing boiler is the same as a Glowworm rebadged british gas 330
and I think it is a 30 hxi Glowworm equivelent. The engineer that fitted
this boiler this week said the best temperature on the boilers digital
display central heating water temperature is 72C. Can anyone explain to me
what is supposed to happen with this temp display? I assumed when he said
ideally 72C that the display stayed at that, but it flactuates. I suppose
its doing what it should, as I have heat and hot water, but the booklet and
glowworms equilevant doesn't really explain this.

I have a heating only boiler provides central heating and hot water via a
storage cylinder. and there is two tanks in the loft space one being
expansion I guess. New TRVs on all rads except hall. Bathroom rad fed from
cylinder, but also has TRV. I live in a bungalow, which is fairly large.

Page 8 of this link more or less says the same as my British gas version.
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/manuals/pdf/hxi_manual.pdf

I think the room stat in the hall may not be in the best place as I have to
turn this right up to 28. They put this right next to the airing cupboard
which contains the hot water cylinder and it isnt too far from the hall rad.
Probably put there as that is where the old one was. We've only been here a
year and half. The hall gets fairly warm.

Two of the rads one in the living room and one in the conservatory are
different from the others, they are double panelled, double finned, have
sides and top grille thinggy. I have to jiggle the TRV on these to get rads
hot sometimes. The living room rad did have a cold spot in a hill/triangle
shape middle bottom. As I have read on here, I turned all the other rads
off and left that one on. It made a lot of noise ticking etc. turned all
others back on and seems free of the cold spot now.

All rads were power flushed, and apparently very mucky, he showed me the
muck on his machine rods, as if I should have been shocked, but with nothing
to compare it to, how would I know, anyway I humoured him and pulled
suitable faces.

So to recap:
What is the digital display supposed to show on the boiler, and when?
Is it expensive to have to keep turning the Room stat up to 28? Rather than
20.
Any thoughts on having to jigle the TRVs on two of the rads sometimes?
Simple solution or get them back?

Thanks guys.
Sheila

doobydoobydo December 12th 06 04:13 PM

Glowworm rebadged british gas 330

Anyone please.

[email protected] December 12th 06 06:19 PM

Glowworm rebadged british gas 330

doobydoobydo wrote:

Anyone please.

I have TRV's on all but one radiator in my new system. It is very
confusing! I can't really work out how the thing works! It often gets
really really hot, and sometimes stays quite chilly. I prefered the
simple approach - I have given up trying to work it out.

Philip

doobydoobydo December 12th 06 08:53 PM

Glowworm rebadged british gas 330

Yeah know what you mean, but I think I understand the TRV thing now. Most
important point TRV measures air temperature not the temperature of the rad
as such or water temp in rad. Which is all very well, but they don't seem
consistant do they, you know you can go another room thats warm and the TRV
is still on but you go into your sitting room its colder and its turned
itself off.

I'm not sure how to overide them, is it with the room stat in the hall ie
turn it right up or do you turn the water temp on boiler up.

Or are TRV's the boss of it all and if they say its too hot, it is, doesn't
matter what you want or feel about it. I mean supposing you are not warm
enough to you try to persaude the TRV with chocolates or something, or tell
it how wonderful it is. LOL.

wrote in message
ups.com...