Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Screwfix(?) mitre saw?

I'll soon by embarking on fitting new skirting to an entire 3-bedroomed
house, and want to buy a mitre saw to make the task easier. Last time I
had to do this job I just used a marking gauge and pencil, and want to
save some time... I'll be using 4" MDF skirting, just standard 45-degree
external mitres.

I don't see much point in a power saw for the amount of work (or should
I be looking at them?), as obviously the majority of corners will be
internal and not mitred. I note three different models at Screwfix for
between 15 and 25 quid.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A335557&ts=69348

I'm not sure of the difference between them - anyone familiar with them?
Which is the best for what I want?

Cheers
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I'll soon by embarking on fitting new skirting to an entire 3-bedroomed
house, and want to buy a mitre saw to make the task easier. Last time I
had to do this job I just used a marking gauge and pencil, and want to
save some time... I'll be using 4" MDF skirting, just standard 45-degree
external mitres.

I don't see much point in a power saw for the amount of work (or should
I be looking at them?), as obviously the majority of corners will be
internal and not mitred. I note three different models at Screwfix for
between 15 and 25 quid.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A335557&ts=69348

I'm not sure of the difference between them - anyone familiar with them?
Which is the best for what I want?

They differ only in how crappy a result they can achieve. Seriously,
avoid this type of saw, they are a nightmare.

If you can justify buying a sliding mitre saw, do that, but you need to
spend at least £150 to get a reasonable one

If not, buy a mitre box and a hardpoint saw.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'll soon by embarking on fitting new skirting to an entire 3-bedroomed
house, and want to buy a mitre saw to make the task easier. Last time I
had to do this job I just used a marking gauge and pencil, and want to
save some time... I'll be using 4" MDF skirting, just standard 45-degree
external mitres.

I don't see much point in a power saw for the amount of work (or should I
be looking at them?), as obviously the majority of corners will be
internal and not mitred. I note three different models at Screwfix for
between 15 and 25 quid.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A335557&ts=69348

I'm not sure of the difference between them - anyone familiar with them?
Which is the best for what I want?

The manual compound mitres are rubbish. The saws are blunt after one cut if
not before.
The compound mitre has the adjustment to cut your skirting vertically but
you would be better
with a wide enough mitre box to take your skirting lying flat and use a
decent saw.

Depending on the width of the mitre box slot you may need a tenon saw or
open up the slot and use a hardpoint which cuts better.
Not critical since you just want 45deg to do a scribed cut.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The manual compound mitres are rubbish. The saws are blunt after one cut
if
not before.

My "cheapy" has induction hardened teeth and is fine after perhaps a couple
of dozen pieces of skirting. I think it came from Wickes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

OK, thanks, glad I asked! I have an old wooden mitre box in fact but
being only about 2" deep is no use for skirting; until I read your post
above I have to admit I hadn't realised that you can get them to hold
the workpiece flat (as shown in the link I quoted, now that I look more
closely!) That's clearly the best route for me here.

Thanks again
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Jim Alexander wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

[...]

I'd go with an electric mitre saw. It'll save some time, but much more
usefully you'll find loads of other uses for it later on. Even a cheap
one will do an ok job if you pay attention to its deficiencies. On
cheap saws always line up cut line on wood with edge of teeth by eye,
forget about the markings on the base. And I learnt the hard way, be
very gentle when cutting, always. Unless you have Munchausen's.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Alexander
writes

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'll soon by embarking on fitting new skirting to an entire 3-bedroomed
house, and want to buy a mitre saw to make the task easier. Last time I
had to do this job I just used a marking gauge and pencil, and want to
save some time... I'll be using 4" MDF skirting, just standard 45-degree
external mitres.

The manual compound mitres are rubbish. The saws are blunt after one cut if
not before.

For those of us brought up on B&D joint masters:-)

Certainly not fully fit for purpose but they can do a job. My cheapo is
mounted on a base for easy clamping in a bench vice. There is an element
of positive feed back in that tooth snatch flexes the frame and saw
guides leading to more snatch which flexes the......

Once set up for a repetitive job, I cramp the frame solid which helps.
Blades are slow but OK if protected from rust.

The biggest downside I find is the amount of storage space required if
left assembled.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Mitre saw experiences Rob UK diy 22 November 7th 05 11:11 AM
My New Mitre Saw Sam Berlyn Woodworking 4 November 27th 04 08:10 PM
Mitre Saw SB Woodworking 1 November 19th 04 12:16 PM
Skirting Mitre Mr John X UK diy 13 December 15th 03 01:41 PM
Help w/ Compound Mitre Greg DeBacker Woodworking 4 July 22nd 03 12:10 AM