Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

Default Laundry chute

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't

wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute

from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what,

if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks

like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

Should it not run from the Maid's Quarters to the Laundry Room?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:23:43 -0000, "Suz" wrote:

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

What 's wrong with getting a bag and carrying it downstairs .What are you living
in ...a hostel ? LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:23:43 -0000, "Suz" wrote:

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

What 's wrong with getting a bag and carrying it downstairs .What are you
living
in ...a hostel ? LOL

What wrong with creating a laundry chute when we have the opportunity?
It's simple to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

My concern with a chute from a bedroom down to a room containing equipment
would be transfer of noise. Maybe the chute should go in a bathroom or in a
hallway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't

wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute

from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what,

if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks

like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

Should it not run from the Maid's Quarters to the Laundry Room?

AWEM

Thanks, that's constructive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:15:07 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message
.. .
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

My concern with a chute from a bedroom down to a room containing equipment
would be transfer of noise. Maybe the chute should go in a bathroom or in a
hallway?

Would or should there be concerns about smoke getting up the chute to the BR in
the event of a fire in the laundry room .?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

anything thats slippery and cleans easily... take your choice.
Melamine's one option.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

A chute takes up room and isnt movable, whereas a trapdoor in the floor
takes no space up, and you can put things under or over it any time if
you prefer.

if you've got 3 floors of house, you could have bedroom at the top,
bath on the middle floor, clothes laid out downstairs and food by the
door. Then in the am you just fill the bath, drop each girl down the
first chute directly into the bath, and from there down the 2nd
(towelling lined) chute to her clothes, then out the door There'd be
no problems with getting up in the morning.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Owain" wrote in message
Suz wrote:
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.
Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Depending on its size, you can get bottomless interlinking buckets that
are used to create chutes from the top of scaffolding down to skips.

Some sort of plastic laminate finish would probably be useful.

It's a shame you can't have a straight drop as then you could put a small
dumbwaiter lift in. Much more useful as you can then send the clean
laundry back up, as well as other things.

Nice idea, maybe it could be fitted in somewhere else.

Why can't they just throw their clothes over the bannisters like normal
kids?

The kids are normal, why wouldn't they be? It's my idea, as it's muggins
that has to pick them up. Why not reduce labour with a simple addition to
the plans?? Why has this idea got so much hostility? Work smarter, not
harder, that's my motto.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:15:07 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message
.. .
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from

the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks

like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

My concern with a chute from a bedroom down to a room containing

equipment
would be transfer of noise. Maybe the chute should go in a bathroom or in

hallway?

Would or should there be concerns about smoke getting up the chute to the

BR in
the event of a fire in the laundry room .?

Very good point. I recently witnessed a gas tumble drier catching alight.
Immense amounts of smoke with very little flame. Quite scary to imagine that
in a basement funnelling up into a kids room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with?

I would use 500g - thicker if you can find it - layflat polythene tube -
available as a packaging material in sizes at least up to 36" wide. That
will give you a slippy, snag-proof lining to whatever you make the chute
from and, if it does ever wear out, you simply replace it with another
length.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:15:07 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message
. ..
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks
like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

My concern with a chute from a bedroom down to a room containing equipment
would be transfer of noise. Maybe the chute should go in a bathroom or in
hallway?

Would or should there be concerns about smoke getting up the chute to the
BR in
the event of a fire in the laundry room .?

The chute could lead to a wheeled basket that is kept in a closed
compartment at the end of the chute - avoiding the spread of smoke and, if
it is fire resistant, even that of flame.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Suz" wrote in message
[...]

This is what I had in mind. A standard cupboard with a laundry basket
instead of shelves.
However, talking about fire makes me worried. I'll look more closely at the
industrial stuff as they have tight fitting metal doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
[...]

A wooden FD60 door with intumescent strip would probably be as good and a
lot less than a steel door and frame. Looking at US sites might yeild more
info as laundry chutes are pretty rare in the UK still although my Nans old
flat in London had a rubbish chute from 1910!

As for the "hostility"... it's because your doing something most others only
dream of. Go build the biggest chute you can, stick all your laundry down it
and post pictures, that'll really upset them ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz Wrote:
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks
like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

I looked into doing this myself once, from a bathroom down to a boiler
cupboard, and i would have made the chute out of MDF, its very smooth.

--
Nick H
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

http://www.thepackagingstore.co.uk/p...4GQ godcU3yPw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

I think I would ensure the cupboard that the chute discharges into is
reasonably fire resistant (line the doors and inside with plasterboard
for example, stuff any gaps with iso/rockwool).

The chute lining could be something cheap and simple like hardboard, or
at the other extream stainless steel sheet. I quite like Colin's idea of
a plastic tubular secondary liner since it is easy to replace, and if
anything ever did snag all you need to do is give it a quick tug from
above.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

http://www.thepackagingstore.co.uk/p...4GQ godcU3yPw

Thanks, but I think things would stop at the bend if it was a collapsable
lining. I think I need a hard tube. (No schoolboy humour, please!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.
Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with?

The kids are normal, why wouldn't they be? It's my idea, as it's muggins
that has to pick them up. Why not reduce labour with a simple addition to
the plans?? Why has this idea got so much hostility? Work smarter, not
harder, that's my motto.

Heh dont worry about it, keep going and you'll get a fine feature
there. How much of an angle will this thing go at? You may still be
able to have a dumb waiter, just modifying the design to suit a slanted
tube. In fact the only mod you'd need would be to add wheels on one
side of the carriage and counterweight, and of course the carriage
would be not square..

Fireproofing would mean a fireproof chute and fireproof doors, which
arent difficult, and maybe natural fibre rope that doesnt produce
nasties in a fire.

Maybe if your carriage is hooked onto the rope it can be unhooked and
longer items hauled up on the rope + hook without the carriage.

In fact a dumb waiter system could run at any angle at all, as long as
the shaft is straight - and even if it isnt it may still be workable.
Why dont you give us more detail about the shaft available.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part B (Protection from fire) of the Building Regulations.

Pages 82-84 have relevant advice/regulations.

(also some stuff relating to refuse chutes p.57 may be relevant).

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADB_2000.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from the
girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks like
very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

If you use something like M12 rod in the centre of a round shaft, with
a round carriage made from EML, the weight of the clothes would cause a
spin to occur as it descended. This would throw items like coins and so
on out of pockets. Now, on the way up you put a weight on the
counterweight and the thing spins as it rises to the top floor, thus
delivering the clothes and removing any remaining water at the same
time.

Make it big enough for the kids to get in and you have a fairground
ride at home too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:15:07 -0000, "TonyK" wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message
m...
[...]

A stud and plasterboard enclosure, using 12mm plasterboard both sides and a
sturdy wooden door - a 1/2 hour fire door if it really worries you - will be
perfectly adequate for domestic use. The main hazard with fire is the spread
of smoke, so making the enclosure smoke-proof and using smoke alarms
throughout the house are probably more important. If you use the layflat
tubing I suggest elsewhere to line the chute, that will also act like a
valve, closing itself behind the washing.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

perfectly adequate for domestic use. The main hazard with fire is the spread
of smoke, so making the enclosure smoke-proof and using smoke alarms
throughout the house are probably more important.

By the sounds of it this conversion would require interlinked smoke
alarms on each floor anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

perfectly adequate for domestic use. The main hazard with fire is the
spread of smoke, so making the enclosure smoke-proof and using smoke
alarms throughout the house are probably more important.

By the sounds of it this conversion would require interlinked smoke alarms
on each floor anyway.

I did say using, which is not the same as fitting :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

perfectly adequate for domestic use. The main hazard with fire is the
spread of smoke, so making the enclosure smoke-proof and using smoke
alarms throughout the house are probably more important.

By the sounds of it this conversion would require interlinked smoke alarms
on each floor anyway.

I did say using, which is not the same as fitting :-)

I was just about to say they need to be mains powered as well...

but thinking about it that actually makes them eaiser to turn off all at
once!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message
Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with? There seems to be kit for this but looks
like very heavy industrial stuff.

Any other general laundry room/chute advice?

http://www.thepackagingstore.co.uk/p...4GQ godcU3yPw

Thanks, but I think things would stop at the bend if it was a collapsable
lining. I think I need a hard tube. (No schoolboy humour, please!)

Any bend would need to be gradual or *anything* will stop at it.
With polythene tube the tube adapts to the shape of the article as it passes
down.
Also, as others have pointed out, if it gets a little dirty you can just
pull it out and replace.
The only other thing I can think of that might do the trick is ventilation
duct...such as http://www.wad.co.uk/
manufacture

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
[...]

But don't make the diameter larger than that of your smallest kid... you
know it makes sense!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moo Moo is offline

We have a laundry chute but it drops straight down from the children's
bathroom to the utility room directly below.
It is lined with ordinary hardboard with the "shiny" side facing into
the chute allowing clothes to slide down easily. It's about 450mm by
750mm.
I appreciate that ours has a vertical drop but I think that an angled
chute lined with hardboard would work. Over time I guess that the
hardboard would get shinier!

Moo
'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Moo" contains these words:

Over time I guess that the hardboard would get shinier!

Not with my socks.

--
Skipweasel

Debris Chute MB Home Repair 7 December 27th 05 07:08 PM
laundry chute - regs [email protected] UK diy 5 December 10th 05 05:48 PM
building a laundry chute [email protected] Woodworking 23 June 21st 05 04:21 AM
Garbage Chute Soundproofing [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 16th 05 10:13 PM
Snowblower Chute keeps cracking. [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 23rd 04 03:45 AM