Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BeThere Broadband

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to
make a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-07 21:20:50 +0000, raden said:

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to
make a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

Not specifically, but there are several LLU operators at my local
exchange. These may be less conservative than BT concerning what they
will allow for line loss and hence max speed, but if you are a long way
or have poor (e.g. aluminium) cables you may not get close to their max
speeds.

You could try the calculator on the BT Wholesale web site, insert your
phone number and see what it says.
If it suggests 2Mbit then you may well be in good shape with LLU. With
1Mbit max offered, the LLU operator may not be able to do a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

What's been the problem with NTL?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , On Web
writes
"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

What's been the problem with NTL?

There isn't

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

the equipment is now in the exchange and I have to make a decision

They offer a significantly faster service and cheaper than the slower
service offered by NTL

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that as
a sep. Service

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-07 23:44:46 +0000, raden said:

In message , On Web
writes
"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

What's been the problem with NTL?

There isn't

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

the equipment is now in the exchange and I have to make a decision

They offer a significantly faster service and cheaper than the slower
service offered by NTL

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that
as a sep. Service

news.individual.net 10 euros per annum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to
make a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

I've just moved to BeThere from Pipex. No real problems except for the
email service which is run for BeThere by an outfit in Hong Kong, and
due to its location often gets blacklisted by other email servers on the
net. So buy your email services elsewhere. Individual.net is my news
service which I also had while with Pipex.

I'm 2KM from my exchange and getting 11MBits on a 24MBits connection
with some dodgy telephone wiring I really should tidy up, and maybe snip
the third wire...

However, saying all that - I thought NTL had a rep for good fast
broadband connections?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that as
a sep. Service

news.individual.net 10 euros per annum.

datemas.de free
astraweb ~£7 for 25G (headers free)

both cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-08 08:34:16 +0000, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that
as a sep. Service

news.individual.net 10 euros per annum.

datemas.de free
astraweb ~£7 for 25G (headers free)

both cheaper.

As reliable and comprehensive?

By the way, £7 is more than 10 Euros.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 11:44 pm, raden wrote:
In message , On Web
writes"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

What's been the problem with NTL?There isn't

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

Just wait till it's repeated on Channel 4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
writes

On Dec 7, 11:44 pm, raden wrote:
In message , On Web
writes"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

If your ntl service is up and running fine then stick with it.

broadband is something ntl do well

In my past experience....

What's been the problem with NTL?There isn't

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

Just wait till it's repeated on Channel 4

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , On Web
writes
"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

What's been the problem with NTL?

There isn't

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

the equipment is now in the exchange and I have to make a decision

They offer a significantly faster service and cheaper than the slower
service offered by NTL

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that as
a sep. Service

Call NTL. Tell them you're thinking of switching to someone else. They
will immediately transfer you to the "new user" rate of £8.99/month
for 2Mb/s, or £17.99/month for 10Mb/s. They'll keep you on this rate
for a few months (6 months for me, 12 for my dad). But the phone
operator said to just call back at the end of that time and they'll
happily renew it for another x months.

I just did this last week - I was paying £17.99 before, £8.99 now.

I don't much like NTL, but for £8.99 for 2Mb/s inc newsgroups, you
can't go far wrong.

Regards,
Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
raden wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

I've just moved to BeThere from Pipex. No real problems except for the
email service which is run for BeThere by an outfit in Hong Kong, and due
to its location often gets blacklisted by other email servers on the net.
So buy your email services elsewhere. Individual.net is my news service
which I also had while with Pipex.

I'm 2KM from my exchange and getting 11MBits on a 24MBits connection with
some dodgy telephone wiring I really should tidy up, and maybe snip the
third wire...

However, saying all that - I thought NTL had a rep for good fast broadband
connections?

I've had the NTL service for several years; it's very reliable - though it
took about two weeks to get it started and about five engineers!

I'd feel really miffed moving from reliability to a lot of hassle for the
sake of a few pounds.

Paul

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article om,
writes

On Dec 7, 11:44 pm, raden wrote:
In message , On Web
writes"raden" wrote in message

Does anyone have any experience of BeThere

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

They've just installed their kit in our local exchange and I have to make
a decision whether to ditch NTL for them or not

If your ntl service is up and running fine then stick with it.

broadband is something ntl do well

Yes - I decided to cancel the BeThere subscription today

NTL do seem to have got their act together now and inertia has got the
better of me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
Tournifreak writes

I signed up for BeThere some 2 years ago

they offered 24 for £20/month

the equipment is now in the exchange and I have to make a decision

They offer a significantly faster service and cheaper than the slower
service offered by NTL

However, they don't offer newsgroups, so I would have to pay for that as
a sep. Service

Call NTL. Tell them you're thinking of switching to someone else. They
will immediately transfer you to the "new user" rate of £8.99/month
for 2Mb/s, or £17.99/month for 10Mb/s. They'll keep you on this rate
for a few months (6 months for me, 12 for my dad). But the phone
operator said to just call back at the end of that time and they'll
happily renew it for another x months.

I did that several months ago

and got my cable TV subscription upgraded when I pointed out that they
weren't providing much more than I could get with a freeview box

I just did this last week - I was paying £17.99 before, £8.99 now.

I don't much like NTL, but for £8.99 for 2Mb/s inc newsgroups, you
can't go far wrong.

Regards,
Jon.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message om,
Tournifreak writes

snip

and got my cable TV subscription upgraded when I pointed out that they
weren't providing much more than I could get with a freeview box

Are you happy with NTL digital? Last time I asked on the NGs people didn't
seem happy and recommended freeview.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , On Web
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message om,
Tournifreak writes

snip

and got my cable TV subscription upgraded when I pointed out that they
weren't providing much more than I could get with a freeview box

Are you happy with NTL digital? Last time I asked on the NGs people didn't
seem happy and recommended freeview.

Well, it's OK

.... but when you look at what you can get on the basic package against
what you can get free once you have laid out a few quids for a freeview
box, the difference isn't that great

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , On Web
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message om,
Tournifreak writes

snip

and got my cable TV subscription upgraded when I pointed out that they
weren't providing much more than I could get with a freeview box

Are you happy with NTL digital? Last time I asked on the NGs people

didn't
seem happy and recommended freeview.

Well, it's OK

... but when you look at what you can get on the basic package against
what you can get free once you have laid out a few quids for a freeview
box, the difference isn't that great

One of the complaints seemed to be that there was a delay in changing
channels, which was irritating. Currently we have the analogue service. I
tried a freeview box and
our existing ariel isn't up to the job. I bought another ariel and stuck
that in the loft - needs some more TLC to try and get all the channels - not
quite worked myself up to scrabling onto the roof yet to install it
properly. Lazy option is ditch analogue for digital. My wife is a teacher,
so teacher tv would be good, but on freeview it's only available on a
lunchtime.. :-(
I'm assuming that on NTL is the full thing.

Paul

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:57:55 GMT, Paul Andrews wrote:

Lazy option is ditch analogue for digital. My wife is a teacher,
so teacher tv would be good, but on freeview it's only available on a
lunchtime.. :-(
I'm assuming that on NTL is the full thing.

Better still forget Freeview and go for Freesat. I see B&Q had a complete
kit of bits for Freesat (wok, LNB, cable, clips, digi box, "free" sat
finder) for £99.99 the other day. Loads more channels(*) both radio and
TV and higher bit rates on many services compared to Freeview.

Not sure how they get around the fact that Channel 4 and five are FTV
thus need a viewing card from Sky (£20 one off fee). All BBC and ITV
services are FTA, no viewing card required.

(*)Admitedly many you'll never watch unless you're very sad... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Web wrote:
"raden" wrote in message
In message om,
Tournifreak writes

snip

and got my cable TV subscription upgraded when I pointed out that they
weren't providing much more than I could get with a freeview box

Are you happy with NTL digital? Last time I asked on the NGs people didn't
seem happy and recommended freeview.

I got a £25 freeview box from Asda, and it's a big improvement over NTL.
Faster, and a better interface.
I'm sticking with NTL broadband, which is pretty good overall.

BroadBand OT Weatherlawyer UK diy 6 April 10th 06 08:20 PM
Boiler and Broadband Problem Charles Middleton UK diy 12 September 30th 05 05:52 PM
Broadband modem connection petek UK diy 7 June 7th 05 08:49 PM
for those of U on ntl broadband tony sayer UK diy 31 March 11th 05 11:00 PM
Swinehund caught via Broadband Gel UK diy 8 February 18th 05 10:25 AM