Steve

Default Installing inset spotlights

Hi,

We would like to install inset spotlights in our lounge. It is a flat
roof extension so there are no rooms above through which to install.
There are also no ceiling lights currently installed although we have
wall lights. Has anyone any experience of installing these kind of
lights in this environment. My initial reaction is that it's not going
to be possible due to not having access from above and the fact that
the previous owners didn't have ceiling lights installed but I would
like to be proved wrong!

Any advice that anyone has to give would be very much appreciated.
Tim Mitchell

In article , Steve
writes
Hi,

We would like to install inset spotlights in our lounge. It is a flat
roof extension so there are no rooms above through which to install.
There are also no ceiling lights currently installed although we have
wall lights. Has anyone any experience of installing these kind of
lights in this environment. My initial reaction is that it's not going
to be possible due to not having access from above and the fact that
the previous owners didn't have ceiling lights installed but I would
like to be proved wrong!

Any advice that anyone has to give would be very much appreciated.

I have just done this, used a hole saw to cut the spot holes in the
ceiling and then fed cabling through between the holes using a bit of
trunking lid. If you have to cross a joist and you can't get above it
(ie the roof is fastened to the top of the joists and the ceiling to the
bottom) you'll have to cut a bit of plasterboard out and stick it back.

You'll also need to get a power feed to the new lights, which you will
need to connect into the existing lighting circuit somewhere - and
presumably you'll need an extra wall switch which will mean some
channeling out.
--
Tim Mitchell