Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How fat is the hose from a vented tumble dryer?

I would like to buy a second hand tumble dryer only to be used very
occasionally. I've seen a vented one for 30 quid but I'm not sure if it
will be suitable.
I've got a little utility area which has a worktop and underneath is
just enough space for a washing machine and the tumble dryer, ie it's
about 130cm wide and only a few cms free space under the worktop. So
I'm not sure I could bring a fat pipe through to the front, to then put
through a door or window when in use. I could vent to the back or side
through a 10 inch old london yellow brick wall but am not sure how big
the hole would need to be. I've only got a cheapo hammer drill and
don't really want to go hiring expensive equipment as I'd be better off
buying a condensing dryer?
Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

I would like to buy a second hand tumble dryer only to be used very
occasionally. I've seen a vented one for 30 quid but I'm not sure if
it will be suitable.
I've got a little utility area which has a worktop and underneath is
just enough space for a washing machine and the tumble dryer, ie it's
about 130cm wide and only a few cms free space under the worktop. So
I'm not sure I could bring a fat pipe through to the front, to then
put through a door or window when in use. I could vent to the back or
side through a 10 inch old london yellow brick wall but am not sure
how big the hole would need to be. I've only got a cheapo hammer
drill and don't really want to go hiring expensive equipment as I'd
be better off buying a condensing dryer?
Any suggestions?

The hoses are 4 or 5 inches in diameter - but very flexible, so you can bend
them round quite tight radii.

If you go out through the wall, you'll need a 110mm hole. A core drill would
be best - but you can make an adequate hole by drilling a ring of small
holes from each side, and then using a cold chisel.

You can do it much easier than that.

If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall
fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on
the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in
section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on
the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then
chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster,
the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:51:06 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

The hoses are 4 or 5 inches in diameter - but very flexible, so you can bend
them round quite tight radii.

If you go out through the wall, you'll need a 110mm hole. A core drill would
be best - but you can make an adequate hole by drilling a ring of small
holes from each side, and then using a cold chisel.

You can do it much easier than that.

If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall
fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on
the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in
section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on
the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then
chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster,
the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris

Whats the outside bit like? Can "things" like insects and rain get in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote:

[...]

Normally a flap or set of louvre flaps

Rain no as the vent flap closes when there is no air blowing from the drier

Insect probably but any fine mesh in the vent would stop the small fabric
particles escaping and eventually block the pipe. I have seen some with a
removable mesh (possibly home made) however.

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If you do decide to put one in, keep the outside hole up a bit off the
ground, I've known rodents to use them as an entrance more than once, the
fitting kit will probably stop this however.