Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Domestic steam cleaners ? Are they any good ?

SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wibble wrote:

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ?

They're heavy and they're expensive.

A steam wallpaper stripper is cheaper and keeps the water bucket
floor-standing with a hose. Equally useful IMHE, especially as I
already had them.

As to shifting gunk, then they're not ultimate lazer death-rays, but
they do work well on kitchen grease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:57:35 -0000, "Wibble" wrote:

SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

They don't. Avoid them. We have a shed fully of them from small ones
on the shelf to the huge generator in the back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wibble wrote:
SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

I bought one from Argos but returned it. I was so disappointed with the
results.

Then someone recommended Polti to me.

What can I say. They are amazing. (in my opinion)

They are expensive though. I got a compact model from a website for
about 160 (UK pounds)

John Lewis & Selfridges stock them

They are very powerful, but you spend a lot of money on kitchen roll/
cleaning cloths as you need to wipe away the dirt.

It leaves the bathroom gleaming

.... but for cleaning the oven - never tried it for that. May be a good
idea to stick with a chemical products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Wibble wrote:
[...]

I always felt that I didn't need one so never tried one but a son told me I
had to get a Karscher (sp?), he bought one while serving in Germany and they
used it for hundreds of applications,

The local electrical shop got one for us, expensive yes but it too is
amazing. I've not bought any household chemical cleaners since we bought it.

Yes, it does the oven. I don't use kitchen towels but rags.

It looks as though the cheap versions are no good from what I've heard but
the powerful jet of very hot steam is superb for cleaning. Haven't tried it
on stripping wallpaper, we paint that.

Yes, it will clean the oven, even the window glass which is a real challenge
for any product.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article s.com,
Wibble wrote:
SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

I borrowed one from my dad that he got from Lidl/Aldi/similar a couple of
years ago. It's badged Lavor and appears identical in every spec except
colour to http://www.jet-wash-direct.co.uk/ste...lversteam.html

I used it to clean the gross congealed grease out of the cooker hood and
it also did wonders on the white grout in the tiles on the hob splashback.
I'd forgotten how white the grout used to be.

I was very impressed. He did have a cheaper one before but that was apparantly
rubbish - the 4 bar pressure appears to be the key.

I notice on that site I linked to (no connection, just first hit on google)
that they list it at 175 quid! Dad paid under 50 quid from Lidl etc. Be
worth keeping an eye out for them doing them again.

He also claims it is pretty good at cleaning carpets - not tried that myself.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
Wibble wrote:
SWMBO is cleaning the oven and I suggested the job would
be easier if she had a hand held steam cleaner. SWMBO
says that she's heard they are rubbish but I've heard the opposite.

Does anyone in here own one and is it any good ? Does it
do what they are supposed to do i.e. remove stubborn grime ?

I got one off Ebay - shopping channel return. And it's very good for
cleaning grease off car engines etc. Slow in as much as the jet is quite
small, but that suits me for the use I put it to. Haven't tried it on a
cooker.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always felt that I didn't need one so never tried one but a son told me I
had to get a Karscher (sp?), he bought one while serving in Germany and they
used it for hundreds of applications,

That might have been the brand I returned (or maybe it was electrolux?)
it was bright yellow

Polti seriously kick ass.

If you consider buying one always go see an instore demonstration
first. Never take anyone's word for it, especially a sales reps. (you
can always see in-store & then buy online)

During normal office hours (I think) John Lewis have some Polti reps in
doing demonstrations. Ask to see a demo. insist on it. They will be
only too pleased.

All you pay for in the end is water and electricity. I rent so it's all
included (flat rate)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

I always felt that I didn't need one so never tried one but a son told me
had to get a Karscher (sp?), he bought one while serving in Germany and
they
used it for hundreds of applications,

That might have been the brand I returned (or maybe it was electrolux?)
it was bright yellow

Ours isn't bright yellow. I think it's a pale cream but it's so unmemorable
that I've forgotten! It certainly doesn't make a statement.

If you consider buying one always go see an instore demonstration
first. Never take anyone's word for it, especially a sales reps. (you
can always see in-store & then buy online)

I would agree but I believe my son, he's a more critical consumer than I am
and that's saying a lot.

Mary

Good Drain Cleaners cover Home Repair 16 March 18th 06 06:08 PM
Steam cleaners Deadrat Home Ownership 0 March 2nd 06 06:24 PM
chem-dry vs. steam cleaners TLF Home Repair 5 July 17th 05 04:07 AM
Steam cleaners Dinah Home Repair 8 April 15th 04 02:18 AM
Domestic steam cleaners? Tony Williams UK diy 12 August 28th 03 03:42 PM