Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommended glue for shoes

I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles of
shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend? What do the
professionals use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles of
shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend? What do the
professionals use?

A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles
of shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend? What
do the professionals use?

A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do you
think I'll be able to get this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do
you think I'll be able to get this?

Evostik Serious glue. Seen some two part stuff recently in the sheds too.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote:
I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles
of shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend? What do
the professionals use?

Evostik, then clamp for 24 hours. Works best on larger areas such as the
upper coming away from the heel or sole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Fred wrote:

A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do
you think I'll be able to get this?

Evostik Serious glue. Seen some two part stuff recently in the sheds too.

I tried this stuff on leather, and from that experience I wouldnt give
it a hope in hell of holding shoes together. You really need the hot
pressed stuff the pros use as a minimum, and even that doesnt last well
in the long run. Its not really a diy job, I'd either take it to the
cobbler or preferably chuck them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Fred wrote:
A solvent based polyurethane contact. It's the bees ********.

Many thanks - are there any trade-names I should be going for. Where do
you think I'll be able to get this?

Evostik Serious glue. Seen some two part stuff recently in the sheds too.

Many thanks.

I just did a search on "Bostik Serious glue" and I got this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bostik where it says

"On 15 August 2006, Bostik launched a major product recall after concern
over safety, following a Daily Mail newspaper investigation of its Evo-stik
product 'Serious Glue'. This included claims that is was not a strong glue
and that the product description was misleading."

What is this 2 part stuff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:53:38 -0000, Fred wrote:

I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic
soles of shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend?

EvoStick Impact. Thin film of glue on both parts leave to dry for a few
minutes place together, making sure the parts are in the right place,
then clamp or hammer together.

The new to market "Serious Glue" is interesting stuff, remains flexable
like Impact and does seem to stick most things to most things. But
without the odour of Impact.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend?

Solvent polyurethanes, like "Shoe Goo" or "Barge Cement". Hard to find
and the easiest way always used to be to buy a pair of Woolies stick-on
rubber soles that included a tube.

Evo-stik 528 is about the best they do for leather, but it's not up to
shoes unless it's an easy joint to make and you can clamp it whilst
curing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

Fred wrote:
Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend?

Solvent polyurethanes, like "Shoe Goo" or "Barge Cement". Hard to find
and the easiest way always used to be to buy a pair of Woolies stick-on
rubber soles that included a tube.

Woolworths have been selling "Stick-a-Soles" for many years, and still do.
That probably means that their glue works alright. I think that you can buy
the glue only, now.

Sylvain.

Evo-stik 528 is about the best they do for leather, but it's not up to
shoes unless it's an easy joint to make and you can clamp it whilst
curing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:53:38 +0000, Fred wrote:

I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles of
shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend?

1 part polyurethane (you can get it from screwfix) sticks an awful lot of
things. Even split trainer soles, I'm told.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:53:38 +0000, Fred wrote:

I've never had much success with bonding leather to rubber/plastic soles
of
shoes. Is there any glue or method anyone here can recommend?

1 part polyurethane (you can get it from screwfix) sticks an awful lot of
things. Even split trainer soles, I'm told.

Many thanks.

The only "polurethane glue"s I can find on Screwfix are

63109 D4 Polyurethane Wood Glue
79242 D4 Polyurethane Wood Glue 750g Light Brown
40778 EvoStik Polyurethane Wood Adhesive 310ml

which are just wood glues. Is there another I'm missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

1 part polyurethane (you can get it from screwfix) sticks an awful lot of
things.

Needs to be a solvent polyurethane. The isocyanate ones (the rigid
foamy wood glues) are no use at all. I've not seen anything suitable
from Screwfix (but haven't searched in detail)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:57:07 -0800, Andy Dingley
wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

1 part polyurethane (you can get it from screwfix) sticks an awful lot of
things.

Needs to be a solvent polyurethane. The isocyanate ones (the rigid
foamy wood glues) are no use at all. I've not seen anything suitable
from Screwfix (but haven't searched in detail)

You're probably right about Screwfix. Where might one get solvent polyu
from ?