Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grundfos UPS 18-60 pump , how do I replace it?

Hello -

My central heating pump system is making loud rumbling noises when it runs.
It's a Grundfos 18-60, which doesn't seem to be made anymore. Can anyone
suggest a direct replacement that is no larger externally, as the location
is quite cramped.

Is replacement just a case of switching off the power, closing the 2
isolating valves (assuming they haven't seized), and swapping the pump?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 05:49:21 +0000, Simon wrote:

Hello -

My central heating pump system is making loud rumbling noises when it runs.
It's a Grundfos 18-60, which doesn't seem to be made anymore. Can anyone
suggest a direct replacement that is no larger externally, as the location
is quite cramped.

Is replacement just a case of switching off the power, closing the 2
isolating valves (assuming they haven't seized), and swapping the pump?

I think the first number (aa-bb) is the length of the pump so
you're probably out of luck since all domestic pumps are now 15-xx. (You'd
want a 15-60). Unless you can find extenders for the pump's [mumble]
1.25"(?) threaded connections (I think I got some from Toolstation) you'll
have to modify the pipework.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 05:49:21 +0000, Simon wrote:

Hello -

My central heating pump system is making loud rumbling noises when
it runs. It's a Grundfos 18-60, which doesn't seem to be made
anymore. Can anyone suggest a direct replacement that is no larger
externally, as the location is quite cramped.

Is replacement just a case of switching off the power, closing the 2
isolating valves (assuming they haven't seized), and swapping the
pump?

I think the first number (aa-bb) is the length of the pump so
you're probably out of luck since all domestic pumps are now 15-xx.
(You'd want a 15-60). Unless you can find extenders for the pump's
[mumble]
1.25"(?) threaded connections (I think I got some from Toolstation)
you'll have to modify the pipework.

I don't think that's right!

The first number is the maximum flow rate in gallons per minute (probably
for historic reasons!) and the second number is the maximum head it can
pump - 60 being 6 metres, etc.

The important number for physical interchangeability is the distance between
flanges - often, but not always, 130mm.

The threads on the pump body are invariably 1 1/2" BSP - so the old valves
should fit on the new pump without a problem.

*Providing* the valves haven't seized *and* that they turn off properly,
changing the pump is fairly easy - with no need to drain the system. Always
use new rubber washers.
--
Cheers,
Roger